Might buy a 2016 CX5 Touring....what should I know?

Not sure why you still comment. He's heard what you had to say. You, obviously, aren't reading his posts.
He doesn't want a Toyota.
Is Honda paying you to hang out here? [emoji16]

No, he doe. Paid too much for it and then on top of that, upgraded his rims...by getting a set of Honda rims...from a dealer.
Die hard Honda boy.

Last edited:
Lol "only Forrester XT fun"?

Another only higher HP make it fun post from mango.

(lol)

OP - there are few things about CX5 that people forget - its linearity wrt throttle response that is a big factor. CVT on Subaru does not have it, infact it is one of the worst cars wrt linearity. 2nd adv. CX5 has is that it downshifts when you step off from the gas pedal sooner than a Toyota. Its now in a lower gear so that you can have more power if needed, also downshifting = breaking a bit so its more or less like a go kart feel. This is awesome for control and is wonderful in multi lane city traffic.

On reliability - MZD and Toyota are building a plant together in US, MZD makes Yaris iA for Toyota, Toyota has shared its hybrid tech in exchange for Mazda's skyactiv bits. Toyota is the leader in reliability and it is partnering with Mazda - this is a big thumbs up for Mazda. German Magazine BILD has rated MZD cars as top 3 in multiple segments. Mazda3 / 5/ 6 and CX5 are top in their segments. BILD does a 100000 km test and takes apart the entire car. For e.g. their biggest gripe about Mazda 3 was a plastic clip in the trunk - thats it and the 3 was a top pick in its segment.

Well, to be fair, half this forum is begging for the 2.5t....

Probably because it's the only thing that will make this vehicle(or any vehicle in this class) 'fun' to drive(lol2). Sorry but if one thinks driving what is essentially a significantly heavier Mazda3 on stilts is 'fun' their bar for fun must be set pretty low.

If I didn't enjoy driving this car, I wouldn't have bought it. I have a 250 cc Scooter I barely drove this summer because I love driving my CX-5 so much. I choose to drive my CX-5 over my wife's Volvo 99% of the time. It's been almost a year and I still love driving it.
I'm sorry you don't feel the same way about your appliance, Mango.

I chose the CX-5 precisely because I needed a SUV and it was the only one that is fun to drive. I have owned a couple BMWs, a few SAABs and a Audi. I like good handling fun cars. I also feel they are safer because you can drive them around or away from trouble.

It's ok to enjoy driving other cars than just sports cars there Mango...

In the SUV/CUV space, CX-5 is hard to beat on that front. Just because it's a CUV doesn't mean you have to throw any sense of having fun driving it out the door.

I also would not have bought it if I didn't enjoy driving it.

There are also reports of the CRV having issues with the CVT. Along with engine trouble from 2013 clear on into 2016. The "new" rav 4 has little reported problems however my wife does not like it. It has reports of lots of body role and its slower to 60 than her current rav 4. Yeah, slower than the old ones. She already feels like she is going to get run over sometimes because of how slow the thing is. The Cx-5 has the most takeoff power of the 3 shy of the new turbo CRV.

I have a couple of options. A 2016 touring with no extras. No moon roof and no bose system. 16,900 plus 220 in dealer fees. 52,380 miles or so.

I can drive a bit further, get a 2016 touring with bose, moonroof, tech package and 22,000 miles. He wants 17,739 + 489 dealer fee that he wont go down on.

17k is really the budget I need to stick to. The first car goes over that. However, for 1200 more I get half the miles, more features and a lot longer on the factory warranty. It ads more to my monthly payment.

$1,000 is worth 30,000 fewer miles to me. Plus you get the awesome LED lights from the tech package as well. No brainer... even if its an extra $20 month.

Edit- the bumper to bumper warranty is expired on the cheaper vehicle as well...

I think so as well. The complaints out there about the transmission do scare me a bit.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/2016/drivetrain/power_train.shtml

I wish in 2016 manufacturers could figure out how to make a transmission last. Seems this is old tech by now. The warranty makes me feel safer. It would be good for 3 more years of driving on the motor and transmission. I could also get a certified one(I have seen a few) that has a 100k warranty. That might be worth considering as well.

I think so as well. The complaints out there about the transmission do scare me a bit.

I wish in 2016 manufacturers could figure out how to make a transmission last. Seems this is old tech by now. The warranty makes me feel safer. It would be good for 3 more years of driving on the motor and transmission. I could also get a certified one(I have seen a few) that has a 100k warranty. That might be worth considering as well.

To be fair, these aren't your father's and grandfather's transmissions. Probably as much computer as they are mechanical bits. Think about it... these newer transmissions adapt to a driver's driving style.

But to help keep the piece of mind, just one more reason to take the one with lower mileage.

⋯ I have a couple of options. A 2016 touring with no extras. No moon roof and no bose system. 16,900 plus 220 in dealer fees. 52,380 miles or so.

I can drive a bit further, get a 2016 touring with bose, moonroof, tech package and 22,000 miles. He wants 17,739 + 489 dealer fee that he wont go down on.
You really need to verify if any of these two is CPO from Mazda. That could change your decision as the CPO has 100,000-mile powertrain warranty from Mazda.

Most people would prefer getting the lower mileage and more feature used vehicle even if the price is a bit higher.

Transmissions are even more complex mechanically than engines imho. Some points:

One question I have when judging transmissions is how smooth is it? The smoother the transmission the more likely it would last longer. The rougher it is the less confidence I have in it lasting long.

Next question is how does the manufacturer abide by the warranty? People here did not have to fight Mazda (USA at least) to get warranty work. Mazda time and time again stepped up and provided new transmissions under warranty. That said the actual number is likely low. No issues for our two skyactiv mazdas for example. 3 MAzdas at my work and no transmission issues.

Next point is to try to be cognizant of your car. Get things repaired under warranty.

Last point is that certified Mazdas get a 7-Year/100,000-Mile Powertrain warranty. A lot of time to identify major issues and get it covered.

The tranny issue is totally over blown, imo. A friend of mine is the district service manager, a real friend. Not someone I've met through Mazda. He assures me this is not a common problem, and I believe him. He has replaced a few, one even out of warranty, but not an alarming amount.

Agreed, 7. Well within the margins of what a typical tranny failure would be for any typical low problem vehicle out there.

The only actual problem was an actual range of 2016's, since fixed.

Edit: My piece of crap falling apart Jeep Grand Cherokee lasted to 300k miles. If that thing can do it, this CX-5 will too. 5 years trouble free so far.

Last edited:
Back