Might buy a 2016 CX5 Touring....what should I know?

Do yourself a favor and do all negotiations over email. I hate talking to sales people in person and ‘haggling’ over numbers in person.

I rarely say this, but fully agree with mango here.

When I bought mine, I email negotiated several dealers until I got them all pretty much to the bottom they would go to and wouldn't go any further and were starting to tell me to "come on down". Then I went to the dealer I had the best experience with when I test drove and was "trying out dealerships" and took the lowest number I had and asked them to beat it. They did. Caveat is that the finance department tried to pull some games, but be careful, read the paperwork, and always be prepared to walk out. That stopped that crap immediately.

Much less of a headache.

Last edited:
I feel like I walked into a den of lions today. I have had better luck with dealers when I say I ONLY want to test drive the car. Today I wanted pricing also. The tactics they used make me never want to go back. They are the only mazda dealer near me. There are some further off in other larger towns within 1 hours drive.

I feel like I walked into a den of lions today. I have had better luck with dealers when I say I ONLY want to test drive the car. Today I wanted pricing also. The tactics they used make me never want to go back. They are the only mazda dealer near me. There are some further off in other larger towns within 1 hours drive.
Took both Kaps and ColoradoDrivers advices above for your car search and youll be fine. Kaps has airways been one of the best here giving the good suggestions on car purchasing. The only thing Id add is based on your situauion you should also be looking for other brand of CUVs which carry the reputation of reliable and high resale value. The more options you have the better chances you could find a good used vehicle for your need. A used Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V should also be on your list for your car searching.

yrwei52 said:
The only thing I’d add is based on your situauion you should also be looking for other brand of CUVs which carry the reputation of reliable and high resale value.
Based on his situation? Resale value is not a concern for this buyer. He's looking at used, and he's kept the current car for 200,000 miles.

Based on his situation? Resale value is not a concern for this buyer. He's looking at used, and he's kept the current car for 200,000 miles.
QFT!

That said, to OP, you can be served by many as a simple "family hauler". The CX-5 will still be fun to drive though and that is the difference ;)

I mean you have a RAV4, and aren't looking at newer RAV4s. Tells ya something ;)

Toyota is boring. The new rav 4 front end is ugly. The CRV has a CVT on newer ones and I just dont like the older ones. They are totally gutless vehicles with no power. The CRV has an ugly back end. I have owned 3 hondas and 2 out of the 3 lost their paint and no help was offered from honda. We have cross shopped a lot of small suv's. From late model luxury cars from acura and lexus to kia's and Hyundai. The Cx-5 most drives like we want. It doesnt have the most power but it handles properly and not like a boat on wheels.

We aim to keep the car for at least a few years. Not sure if we will keep this one for 200k miles but if we like it a lot.....

We could for sure get a toyota or honda cheaper and there are more out there to bargain with. My dad had a crv and we bought the rav 4 because I like the rav 4 better. The crv has a ton of inside space for a small suv though.

For info, its the same AWD system as the RAV4.
I always thought Toyota RAV4 is a 4WD system with locking center differential feature and optional limited slip differential. Its 4WD system cant be the same as Mazdas AWD system which has no locking and LSD. Did Toyota change RAV4 4WD system in recent years?

Vehicles having good reputation on reliability will have high resale value. Theyre close related to each other. Based on OPs situation hed prefer a more reliable vehicle which will give her wife another trouble-free 215K miles like her current Toyota RAV4.

If the sun visor fell off at 20,000 miles, I dont know what parts would still there at 200,000 miles ⋯ ;)

The longer I own our 2016 Mazda CX-5, the more I can understand why Mazda has one of the lowest customer retention rate in the US.

Vehicles having good reputation on reliability will have high resale value. They’re close related to each other. Based on OP’s situation he’d prefer a more reliable vehicle which will give her wife another trouble-free 215K miles like her current Toyota RAV4.

If the sun visor fell off at 20,000 miles, I don’t know what parts would still there at 200,000 miles ⋯ ;)

The longer I own our 2016 Mazda CX-5, the more I can understand why Mazda has one of the lowest customer retention rate in the US.
Not the point. OP never even mentioned resale so why beat a dead horse? Op keeps his vehicles a long time so he doesn't care about resale. Actually most people don't. If you look at the top 10 reasons people buy what they buy, resale doesn't make the top ten. And yes, it sucks, you visor came off but I'm guessing that's not at all common.

Should I be concerned about reliability? A visor falling off is not something I am worried about. My visor was junk in my 2006 civic si and the rav 4 hasnt had a driver visor in years. I care more about it driving.

My wife really hates the CRV's looks. She is no fan and neither am I of the new rav 4 design either. Short of going with a Lexus Nx200-t we really like the cx5. I hope its cheap to keep on the road.

Should I be concerned about reliability? A visor falling off is not something I am worried about. My visor was junk in my 2006 civic si and the rav 4 hasnt had a driver visor in years. I care more about it driving.

My wife really hates the CRV's looks. She is no fan and neither am I of the new rav 4 design either. Short of going with a Lexus Nx200-t we really like the cx5. I hope its cheap to keep on the road.
I always believe you can see things from minor details. If Mazda is willing to eliminate one screw which makes the visor fell off at 20K miles, I really don’t have a good feeling as who knows how many places they cut corners? Reliability hasn’t been the strong point for Mazda comparing to Toyota and Honda. If you prefer the looks and handling over reliability and longevity, CX-5 is the best. But based on 215K-mile RAV4 and you’re looking for a used car, I believe you should put reliability at higher priority than looks and handling. Since you apparently have few Mazda dealers around, widening your choice of vehicles you want to purchase should be easier to land you a better vehicle for you.

And Kaps already said before the maintenance cost on CX-5 will be higher.

I did a lot of research on reliability. That was a deciding factor in the Mazda over the Cherokee. It did well in my research.
36820b6bd37c595241cc4a1d8bb14b6e.jpg
ba768a5e2eaf82914948672ea3c73943.jpg
5d1dc2fe882ca944e6054e606f83cee0.jpg

From that, it looks like its pretty reliable. I know there are less cx-5's sold to have negative comments online about. The CRV has had terrible reviews for many years now. https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR-V/

Honda has yet to fully fix vibration issues on the crv among other things. Its how Honda did things to me with my last 3 hondas. They certainly were not reliable in my experience. If I am going to have to repair my car a lot I might as well drive something fun, something honda has long forgotten how to do.

Toyota doesnt even know the word fun. They do know reliable though and cheap to drive. If you spend any time at all on the road you figure out that bland and boring is no fun. Somewhere in the middle is nicer.

We are going to make an offer on a 2016 touring tomorrow. 52k miles and they want 17k for it. I want it for 17k out the door, tax, title and fees. Lets see if the dealer agrees. My local dealers have often not been as good on pricing as dealers I find in big cities like Marietta Georgia or Charlotte North Carolina.

⋯ We are going to make an offer on a 2016 touring tomorrow. 52k miles and they want 17k for it. I want it for 17k out the door, tax, title and fees. Lets see if the dealer agrees. My local dealers have often not been as good on pricing as dealers I find in big cities like Marietta Georgia or Charlotte North Carolina.
Yeah if you want something fun to drive, CX-5 definitely is the one to choose. 17” tires on Touring makes CX-5 less bumpy than the GT’s 19” tires and much cheaper to replace.

Hope the Touring you’re targeted at is a CPO which carries 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. Good luck!

Not sure why you would consider a 2016 CX-5 if you're concerned about reliability, when this are several threads detailing it's transmission failure. I'd consider a 2015 CX-5 or below at the very least If you care about reliability, get a Toyota or Subaru. . There's a reason why these brands are in the top of the class year after year, it's due to their reliability. And IMO none of the vehicles in this class are 'fun' to drive(with the exception of the Forester XT). Stick with something that's going to be reliable and practical if you're going to be driving it past 200k.

Back