What size allen key for rear brakes?

Holiday

:
Protege 5
I need to change the rear brake pads and rotors. Apparently I need a particular sized allen key. Anyone know the size?

Thanks.

Walmart,.. $12
and you might need the bottom set for the front brakes.. OEM uses hex but my aftermarket calipers use a socket..

Screenshot_2017-12-07-22-17-02.png

i don't pay attention i just start grabbing sockets until i find the one that fits lol. but i would recommend picking up a set of the socket style over the regular allen wrenches. you may not need it for this, but when you have to crack something loose that's torqued on there pretty good your fingers will thank you for using a ratchet instead of that thin pointy little piece of steel :)

i don't pay attention i just start grabbing sockets until i find the one that fits lol. but i would recommend picking up a set of the socket style over the regular allen wrenches. you may not need it for this, but when you have to crack something loose that's torqued on there pretty good your fingers will thank you for using a ratchet instead of that thin pointy little piece of steel :)

That, is a good idea. Is the reach very far? I haven't looked at it yet, it's to loosen the piston spring I believe, not sure how accessible. I just found out too I gotta make sure the emergency brake is set properly, I gotta friend who has some experience in changing rotors and brakes so hopefully it all gets set back properly.

Our rear brakes have an adjustment gear to retract the brake piston.

Screenshot_2017-12-08-12-49-15.png

Haha no thankfully. I called AAA and seems to start when they jump it. Car is doing some odd stuff lately. Starts fine after I replace something, then dies again. Going to really go through some things tomorrow. I have to figure this out.

...Going to really go through some things tomorrow. I have to figure this out.

Start at the control wire of your starter motor.
If you're always getting +12 V with key at start then it's the big solenoid.
You can probably test for voltage from the back of the connector while it's plugged in.
If your getting +12 V and your starter isn't going then it's your starter solenoid.
There may be a be an extra bit of voltage from jump starting to get the big solenoid to kick in.

The best thing would be to check for +12 V with the key at start but not turning over.

Check your clutch switch with your ohmmeter.

Screenshot_2017-12-09-07-12-28.png

(maybe start a new thread in this section)

Last edited:
New issue. Right rear calipre has the hex adjuster (I can see where to insert the hex key) but when looking down the same hole on the left side calipre there is no hex adjuster at bottom of hole. All I see is a hole on the side near bottom of the hole. Not sure why this is the case.

You lost your adjuster for the left side.
You can use the adjuster from the right to adjust it.
Just pull it out with a magnet.

You lost your adjuster for the left side.
You can use the adjuster from the right to adjust it.
Just pull it out with a magnet.

Thanks for the tip. So if the adjuster just slides out what is it catching to that adjusts the piston? I see the notches in the pic. The cavity where the adjuster would go into just looks bare. I did see what looks like a small opening on one side of the cavity near bottom. I would think that there would be some kind of cog adjustment teeth.

On another note I also noticed one of the mounting bolt holes has worn threads. Bolt will go in and thread a little bit to hold but not tighten. I'm thinking I might just get a new caliper, otherwise I guess see if I can get it rethreaded if even possible.

Last edited:
Oh and just thought I'd ask here. Bleeding the brake lines is it a 1/4" hose I need? I see vinyl hoses at the local hardware of different sizes.

1/4" hose sounds right.

Keep in mind that there is a really good chance that your bleeder screws will snap off when you try to loosen them... They're hollow and made out of cheese...

You may end up buying more calipers than you expect.

Back