My 18 GT yelled at me yesterday!

18cx9gt

:
2108 C-X9 GT
Apparently I had both hands off the steering wheel for longer than it liked. As it beeped at me and flashed a warning to put my hands back on the steering wheel.

Completely threw me for a loop. Anyone else have this occur? I don't think I had both hands off for more than a second. I was searching the manual but couldn't find anything on it.

My new Mazda 6 did that to me last week, but I kinda did it on purpose.
I've only had the car a few weeks, and was messing around with the electronic nanny's, trying to learn the systems.
I was on the highway (light traffic) and I decided to test out the lane departure warning system, so I let go of the wheel.
It started to drift a little, then sent me a warning, shook the wheel a little, and then told me to put my hands back on the wheel.
I thought it was pretty cool.

Apparently I had both hands off the steering wheel for longer than it liked. As it beeped at me and flashed a warning to put my hands back on the steering wheel.

Completely threw me for a loop. Anyone else have this occur? I don't think I had both hands off for more than a second. I was searching the manual but couldn't find anything on it.

Yes this has occurred to me a few times when I was trying out the LKA/LDW features when car was new and can confirm this is a safety feature implemented by Mazda...

it has to do with the cruise control ( not to be be renamed auto pilot) and lane departure warning system. not long ago happened to me in a MB s class I rented in Germany, the cruise control system with the lane control enabled did it to me several times when I had my hands out of the wheels, the system worked so well that even it lowered the speed when a curve was coming ( gps enabled ) and tured!!! damn I feel old ..lol .. ow with cars that really can drive on their own we shouldn't be surprised.
I guess the system is designed for the pilot not to get comfy about the car doing the job, lane departure isn't a self driving system, be ware. BOTH HANDS always in the wheel is a must ... ALWAYS

Yes. Our Cx 9 sig yelled at me too. Apparently you need both hands to drive. However I was impressed by the safety feature.

Happened yesterday to me as well, a unique Chime I had heard before and it popped up in the HUD.

Except that I had both hands on the wheel and was not drifting... I have a '17 GT

Yep, mine did it the other day as I was showing my wife the lane keep assist function. Seems interesting the car can tell if your hands aren't on the wheel. It took mine a few seconds to figure it out though.

Happened yesterday to me as well, a unique Chime I had heard before and it popped up in the HUD.

Except that I had both hands on the wheel and was not drifting... I have a '17 GT

Its under the "i-ACTIVESENSE" section of your manual. On page 4-126 for the 2018. It fits under the LAS & LDWS functions. Page 4-127 reads:

"If the steering wheel is held lightly, or depending on road conditions, the system may detect that you have released the steering wheel (not holding the steering wheel) even if you are holding it, and display a message in the multi-information display or the active driving display."

It is also important to note that you can change the settings of the LAS & LDWS. Check page 9-11. When your LAS & LDWS light is illuminated "Off," then the system is OFF. When the LAS & LDWS light is not illuminated, then the system is ON. When the system is ON, it will respond according to how you configured it under 9-11.

Counting sheep? (dunno)

I would be playing another Movie (MP4) and listening to the awesome Movie sound track through the speaker system, but Mazda killed AIO Tweaks in the 2018. I miss watching RedBull Air Races like I could in the 2017.

Come on Mazda. The CX-9 must have an integrated Player option. It is a moral imperative at this point, IMO.

Back