Shark fin antenna question, 2016 model

:
‘16 CX-9 GT
Hi all, I have a couple quick questions on the shark fin on a 2016 GT. I tried searching but didnt have any luck.

My car fought with a not quite open garage door and lost (boom08). It now looks like theres a gap between the roof and the antenna. The back of the fin is scuffed, but doesnt appear to be damaged structurally. The very back of the roof and the rear spoiler over the windshield were scratched/scuffed, too.

How is the base of the antenna secured to the roof? What does that antenna control, anway? I imagine water getting into there would be a bad thing.

Can someone point me to a detailed parts schematic that covers the roof and antenna? I struck out looking online.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

6B6FD8B8-5417-4BCC-AF3A-203A8431F0E3.jpeg

I would guess it's screwed on from the bottom and the impact probably dented the roof (covered by the fin)
See if you can lower the headliner and check from there

I agree. Assuming you backed into the "not fully open" garage door, it would have grabbed the antenna on the back side forcing it to angle forward, likely denting the sheet metal. Like the Wabbit said, pull the headliner (major PITA...) and you can likely just push the dent out, which will straighten everything back up. Worse case you can un-bolt it, put in a new gasket , then re-attach. I don't envy having to do that job though.

Thanks for the replies. I was really hoping to avoid having to pull down the headliner (or pay the shop to do it). I couldn’t see a dent in the sheetmetal, but it’s in an awkward spot so I haven’t really gotten an up close inspection yet. Thanks again for the ideas. I’ll keep you posted.

Anyone have that schematic or a service manual that covers the fin?

Thanks for the replies. I was really hoping to avoid having to pull down the headliner (or pay the shop to do it). I couldn’t see a dent in the sheetmetal, but it’s in an awkward spot so I haven’t really gotten an up close inspection yet. Thanks again for the ideas. I’ll keep you posted.

Anyone have that schematic or a service manual that covers the fin?

If you can’t see a dent then maybe you got lucky and just the antenna is loose? Problem is I think you still need to drop the headliner to fix that. I don’t have access to a shop manual but if I see one I’ll post a link.

Hey.
I did the same thing about 2 months ago. After a lot of research AND even paying $20 to get the Official repair manual for this, I can share my luck, and also where I'm stuck.

In short, you probably did NOT severely damage anything other than a $7 bolt that's fairly easy to replace.
It appears that the bolt that the shark fin screws into will bend (rather than the roof), so that you can just replace that. The replacement shark fin, I've not yet figured out how to detach. So I may be stuck getting a paint job on it rather than swapping it out for a $70/$100 fin that's already painted. Your scuff mark is light enough you could probably just use some touch up paint.

The official repair procedure is a 30-40 step procedure involving removing the headliner and the support beams, and even a seat!... OR..

You just need to pop the 2 pins near the back, then lightly lift down the headliner and slide your arm up in there. By REMOVING the rear map light, you'll be able to get to the bolt that secures the shark fin. With a standard wrench you can un/re-tighten it. The official manual says only tighten it a certain amount, but I don't own that device, so I just got it about right.
You'll have to put your arm back in to get the map light to pop back in.

I'll try to post some pictures / video later. You should NOT do this until you see what the map light connects into the headliner, how it clips in.
Like I said, I'm stuck in how to unplug the antenna from the plug it plugs into. Trying to force it out is likely to crease the headliner. If anyone else has done this and has a picture / instructions, I'd appreciate it.

P/N Quantity Price EA Description
BAN666A3Z 1 $ 6.76 Antenna Bracket. Radio Antenna Base Nut. Radio Antenna Mast Nut.
TK786693064 1 $ 103.87 Radio Antenna Assembly. Radio Antenna Mast. [Part # for Snowflake White, w/ Satellite Radio (TK) ]

TechDad, thank you very much for the info. My year-later reply feels more than a bit rude.

My wifes CX-9 was rear-ended very lightly a short time after this post. I brought it to the dealer to be inspected/repaired and they took care of the sharkfin for me at the same time. They confirmed the roof wasnt damaged then sucked it back down and put a sealant around the base. Looks good as new to me.

Thanks again!!

Back