Suspension Creaking Sound 2014 CX-9 FWD GT

:
2015 CX-9 GT
I recently purchased a 2014 CX-9 GT FWD with 45K miles on it. After a month or so I noticed the right front shock/strut was bottoming out on speedbumps. It was leaking fluid, so my mechanic replaced both front struts with KYBs (OEM was ridiculously priced).

The car rides and handles fine (maybe better than stock), except it immediately developed a creaking noise coming from what seemed to be the area of the front strut mounts. The noise is intermittent and happens only on certain type of roads (highway off ramps especially) where the car is put in a position of turning/crabbing a bit while negotiating small road imperfections. Sometimes just driving down the highway at a certain speed it will make a crazy amount of noise. High pitched cricket sounds. Handles larger bumps/speed bumps just fine no unusual noise.

My mechanic replaced the first set of KYBs on the assumption that the first set was defective. No change in the noise. It seems to come from both driver and passenger sides intermittently and even sounds like it comes from the middle level of the vehicle sometimes. Like the whole chassis is slightly unstable at some level. We've had the car up on the lift half a dozen times checking everything. Nothing seems unusual.

All recalls are up to date. My dealer said he would take a look at it, but they are generally useless. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues like this. Maybe after installing KYBs or just in general. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Getting a little desperate. I love the car but I'm pretty particular about how vehicles perform. Might have to dump it if I can't figure it out.

seems related to the sway bars, have it checked. Other possible culprit would be engine mounts.

Update on this problem. The squeaking has gotten continually worse and the car has now been back to the dealership 3 times trying to fix the problem. The dealer is essentially baffled. Never seen anything like it. Driving it at highway speed feels almost dangerous. They are now talking about having to rebuild the entire front end piece by piece until the problem goes away. Starting with replacing the just replaced ( twice) front struts with factory equipment. Going to be expensive.

Problem was fixed by putting in original manufacturer struts. The KYB aftermarket strut mounts were casing the problem. Car rides like new. Love it. Interesting when I was thinking about replacing the vehicle I test drove numerous competitors. Even some much more expensive. Other than having some niftier electronics, there was nothing on the market that really stood out after owning the GT. They all felt heavy and underpowered. Glad they got this sorted out.

Sucks you had to go through 3 sets of struts to get to the root of the problem, but glad it worked out for you. Squeaks are hard to track down. My daughters 02 Accord was squeaking badly in the front suspension the other day. Now its completly gone all by itself. Hope it doesnt come back!

Back