Quirky issue or real problem?

Nyrjoe

:
2017 CX5 GT
Hi,

New to Mazda and in a 2017 GT. Have had the vehicle under a week. First morning, Infotainment system freezes and requires the 3 button reset, has not re-occurred. Today, 6th day in, noticed when approaching the vehicle the red key warning light flashes before entry. Once in the car the light continues to flash. Car starts with no issue and there is no flashing green or amber lights around the start button. Manual seems to indicate a possible Key FOB battery issue, but not really sure. Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks!

Swap another CX-5 without these problems? :)

We’d hope our brand new vehicle has no such electronic related issues at beginning. Those problems sometimes are hard to diagnose and fix. But you just have to deal with these when you have them.

I did see another person reported the same freeze issue like yours. You should keep monitoring it and hope it’ll never happen again. Is it cold temperature related?

You could have a weak battery in the key fob due to the colder temperature. Either swap a new good quality CR2025 coin battery by yourself and see, or ask your Mazda dealer to replace a new one if you have time to stop by.

Make sure you have the latest firmware version for the infotainment.

Take yrwei52's advise for the FOB. It could of been sitting around for awhile or somebody could of swapped the battery out at the dealer for a bad one.
The batteries are cheap, I replace both of mine every 6 months.

In trying to dissect the manual, the flashing red light may be the anti-theft deterrent light and normal? If any owners can confirm.

Thanks!

In trying to dissect the manual, the flashing red light may be the anti-theft deterrent light and normal? If any owners can confirm.

Thanks!
Definitely not anti-theft deterrent light with flashing red on the ignition bush button. Mine doesnt do that. Anti-theft deterrent flashing red light is in instrument cluster if I remember it correctly.

Thanks all for replying. Yrwei, the flashing red is not occurring on push of the ignition button. It occurs until the push of the button.

Thanks all for replying. Yrwei, the flashing red is not occurring on push of the ignition button. It occurs until the push of the button.
Actually if you have low battery on the key fob you should also get a warning message on the display of the instrument cluster. I doubt it’s the battery but it’s easy to verify.

And try the second key fob and see if it acts the same.

Both Key fobs act the same, also no additional warning message on the instrument cluster with either fob. Seems to not be fob battery, but if no one else sees this not sure what's going on.

For sake of clarity, posted this video of the red flashing key light seen until start button is pushed.

For sake of clarity, posted this video of the red flashing key light seen until start button is pushed.
As I said above, thats anti-theft deterrent flashing red light in the instrument cluster. Its normal.

Sounds like you're only problem is the infotainment system freezing. Go into settings and check what version of firmware you have. Find the screen that says "Music databsase",
it should be the last entry on that screen.

Hi,

New to Mazda and in a 2017 GT. Have had the vehicle under a week. First morning, Infotainment system freezes and requires the 3 button reset, has not re-occurred. Today, 6th day in, noticed when approaching the vehicle the red key warning light flashes before entry. Once in the car the light continues to flash. Car starts with no issue and there is no flashing green or amber lights around the start button. Manual seems to indicate a possible Key FOB battery issue, but not really sure. Would appreciate any advise.

Thanks!

Check out this thread for a possible fix for your infotainment freezing.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862143-2017-Mazda-infotainment-turns-off

My 2017 has the red blinking Imobilizer key all the time until you start it. It is like a blinking alarm light, it just says the car is imobilized. Even my 2006 Mazda 3 did that. When you put your foot on the break, you should get a different green key icon if your fob is correct. Your car is fine.

I too had the Infotaimment system lock up. The car had to set off for 20 minutes before it reset. I will have to try the 3 button reset next time my FM Traffic map does not load.

Back