Adaptive Headlights on Touring with Premium!

ronkayes

:
CX-9
I overlooked some differences between the Touring and GT before I pulled the gun. I regret not the getting GT :-(
Anyways whats done is done!

I can easily change the front, side and back chrome trim and get the roof rack to make it look almost like the GT except for the front lights. I just like the DRLs on the adaptive headlights more than any other functionality. So I was wondering if anyone replaced the non adaptive headlights with adaptive headlights. Some junkyards are selling OEM adaptive head lights at a good price so it is very tempting. I can replace them myself but I'm not sure about what else I might run into - like do they even fit without some major mods and do I have reprogram the light control module etc etc. Any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Don't worry ronkayes. All the stuff you get in GT are only nice to haves. For example, navigation not that useful, example point of interest database is not up-to-date and you can not send an address from google maps. Same way, lights that turn is good. But, it is not worth modifying your touring, I guess.

Don't worry ronkayes. All the stuff you get in GT are only nice to haves. For example, navigation not that useful, example point of interest database is not up-to-date and you can not send an address from google maps. Same way, lights that turn is good. But, it is not worth modifying your touring, I guess.

Thanks karthik1516! Even though I didn't care for the nav, it came with the premium package. Non adaptive lights don't come with the nice looking DRLs. I really didn't know the subtle differences between the two until I saw a GT Machine Grey parked next to my T Machine Grey. I thought the wheels, HUD and inside aluminium trim were the only differences between GT and T. I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character. Modifying the lights voids the warranty should something go wrong with other electrical components. I guess I will have to live with what I got.

I've had my GT a little over a week and have never even noticed the lights other than they are much better overall than on my previous car (Odyssey). What do the Touring DRL's look like compared to the GT's? My first choice for a car (Volvo V90) had terrific drl's. They called them Thor's Hammer. I am excited about the self leveling feature because in the Odyssey if it was loaded down I always got a lot of people flashing their brights at me.

I've had my GT a little over a week and have never even noticed the lights other than they are much better overall than on my previous car (Odyssey). What do the Touring DRL's look like compared to the GT's? My first choice for a car (Volvo V90) had terrific drl's. They called them Thor's Hammer. I am excited about the self leveling feature because in the Odyssey if it was loaded down I always got a lot of people flashing their brights at me.

Touring doesn't have the halo ring under main light. Main lights is the DRL runs at low power on a touring.

CX-9 Touring.jpg - Touring headlight

Headlight.jpg - GT headlight

2016-MAZ-CX-9-Rear-Taillight-300x295.jpg _ GT Tail light. The light above the backup light (red line) on the liftgate doesn't light up on the Touring model.

Last edited:
Thanks karthik1516! Even though I didn't care for the nav, it came with the premium package. Non adaptive lights don't come with the nice looking DRLs. I really didn't know the subtle differences between the two until I saw a GT Machine Grey parked next to my T Machine Grey. I thought the wheels, HUD and inside aluminium trim were the only differences between GT and T. I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character. Modifying the lights voids the warranty should something go wrong with other electrical components. I guess I will have to live with what I got.

Oh man! You should've gotten the GT! Anyhow I guess too late for that but hey you're still driving a very nice CX9 so congrats on the purchase!

I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character.

Do the side and rear trim pieces snap on? Do you have to replace the entire "panel" they attach to? Is it a custom install? I'm interested in hearing/seeing how you installed/had installed the side trim and bumper guards. As well as any "before and afters".

Thanks for your input.

Do the side and rear trim pieces snap on? Do you have to replace the entire "panel" they attach to? Is it a custom install? I'm interested in hearing/seeing how you installed/had installed the side trim and bumper guards. As well as any "before and afters".

Thanks for your input.

Also, here for any info on that! Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

The side and back pieces are snap on and need holes on the bumpers and panels. I installed the roof rails. I got the front pieces but haven't had a chance to put them on due to the friggin cold weather here in Northern VA. I'm waiting for the back piece which looks like a snap on but there no holes on the bumper so once I get the trim piece, I will have to drill some holes in the bumper or do something to that effect. Side chrome trim pieces are too damn pricey I will be looking for them at junk yards and will probably end up drilling holes in the plastic side panels.

The side and back pieces are snap on and need holes on the bumpers and panels. I installed the roof rails. I got the front pieces but haven't had a chance to put them on due to the friggin cold weather here in Northern VA. I'm waiting for the back piece which looks like a snap on but there no holes on the bumper so once I get the trim piece, I will have to drill some holes in the bumper or do something to that effect. Side chrome trim pieces are too damn pricey I will be looking for them at junk yards and will probably end up drilling holes in the plastic side panels.

OK, thanks!

Where'd you pick up the roof rails from? Dealer? Specific part number I should be looking for?

I have Touring with Premium... I haven't regretted it. It's close enough to GT, there is a few features in GT that I don't really need/want. I'm still happy with what I bought. :)

I'm assuming you installed the sides and back pieces yourself. When you say the "side and back pieces are snap on and need holes on the bumpers and panels"...did you have to drill those holes or how'd you go about doing it? I'm guessing the chrome pieces have little tabs or something on the back of them which is what requires the holes? Seems like you and I are on the same path of upgrading things.

Not sure if I feel safe drilling holes into a brand new car myself but may have to have a friends shop take care of the install. No instructions come with the pieces?

Any/all help is much appreciated!

I overlooked some differences between the Touring and GT before I pulled the gun. I regret not the getting GT :-(
Anyways whats done is done!

I can easily change the front, side and back chrome trim and get the roof rack to make it look almost like the GT except for the front lights. I just like the DRLs on the adaptive headlights more than any other functionality. So I was wondering if anyone replaced the non adaptive headlights with adaptive headlights. Some junkyards are selling OEM adaptive head lights at a good price so it is very tempting. I can replace them myself but I'm not sure about what else I might run into - like do they even fit without some major mods and do I have reprogram the light control module etc etc. Any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I know exactly how you feel, I got the Pearl White Touring 2018 and I saw a Pear White GT the other day during day time and the DRL looks awesome , close to a BMW feel.

Hi. I did same with my 2018 touring. Ive since added all side front and back accent trims and roof rails on my red touring. I also had a local shop use existing tailgate horizontal light bar and just add in leds and wire them into existing license plate lights so they turn on and off same as parking/driving lights. As far as front drls. Im happy with current factory ones. Just did diy on tail lights to finish the look.

Back