Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Adaptive Headlights on Touring with Premium!

Registered Member

CX-9

Adaptive Headlights on Touring with Premium!

I overlooked some differences between the Touring and GT before I pulled the gun. I regret not the getting GT :-(
    Anyways whats done is done!

I can easily change the front, side and back chrome trim and get the roof rack to make it look almost like the GT except for the front lights. I just like the DRLs on the adaptive headlights more than any other functionality. So I was wondering if anyone replaced the non adaptive headlights with adaptive headlights. Some junkyards are selling OEM adaptive head lights at a good price so it is very tempting. I can replace them myself but I'm not sure about what else I might run into - like do they even fit without some major mods and do I have reprogram the light control module etc etc. Any insight is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by ronkayes; 12-06-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX9 GT 2018, Mazda3 2010

Don't worry ronkayes. All the stuff you get in GT are only nice to haves. For example, navigation not that useful, example point of interest database is not up-to-date and you can not send an address from google maps. Same way, lights that turn is good. But, it is not worth modifying your touring, I guess.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by karthik1516 View Post
    Don't worry ronkayes. All the stuff you get in GT are only nice to haves. For example, navigation not that useful, example point of interest database is not up-to-date and you can not send an address from google maps. Same way, lights that turn is good. But, it is not worth modifying your touring, I guess.
    Thanks karthik1516! Even though I didn't care for the nav, it came with the premium package. Non adaptive lights don't come with the nice looking DRLs. I really didn't know the subtle differences between the two until I saw a GT Machine Grey parked next to my T Machine Grey. I thought the wheels, HUD and inside aluminium trim were the only differences between GT and T. I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character. Modifying the lights voids the warranty should something go wrong with other electrical components. I guess I will have to live with what I got.

Registered Member

Mazda CX9 GT

I've had my GT a little over a week and have never even noticed the lights other than they are much better overall than on my previous car (Odyssey). What do the Touring DRL's look like compared to the GT's? My first choice for a car (Volvo V90) had terrific drl's. They called them Thor's Hammer. I am excited about the self leveling feature because in the Odyssey if it was loaded down I always got a lot of people flashing their brights at me.

Registered Member

CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
    I've had my GT a little over a week and have never even noticed the lights other than they are much better overall than on my previous car (Odyssey). What do the Touring DRL's look like compared to the GT's? My first choice for a car (Volvo V90) had terrific drl's. They called them Thor's Hammer. I am excited about the self leveling feature because in the Odyssey if it was loaded down I always got a lot of people flashing their brights at me.

Touring doesn't have the halo ring under main light. Main lights is the DRL runs at low power on a touring.

CX-9 Touring.jpg - Touring headlight

Headlight.jpg - GT headlight

2016-MAZ-CX-9-Rear-Taillight-300x295.jpg _ GT Tail light. The light above the backup light (red line) on the liftgate doesn't light up on the Touring model.
    Last edited by ronkayes; 12-07-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ronkayes View Post
    Thanks karthik1516! Even though I didn't care for the nav, it came with the premium package. Non adaptive lights don't come with the nice looking DRLs. I really didn't know the subtle differences between the two until I saw a GT Machine Grey parked next to my T Machine Grey. I thought the wheels, HUD and inside aluminium trim were the only differences between GT and T. I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character. Modifying the lights voids the warranty should something go wrong with other electrical components. I guess I will have to live with what I got.
    Oh man! You should've gotten the GT! Anyhow I guess too late for that but hey you're still driving a very nice CX9 so congrats on the purchase!

Registered Member

2016 CX-9

Quote Originally Posted by ronkayes View Post
    I'm getting the trim and roof rails though which add a lot of character.
    Do the side and rear trim pieces snap on? Do you have to replace the entire "panel" they attach to? Is it a custom install? I'm interested in hearing/seeing how you installed/had installed the side trim and bumper guards. As well as any "before and afters".

Thanks for your input.