Infotainment display TSB

:
Mazda, CX-9, Signature
Just got back from the dealership. Took the CX-9 in for an intermittent blanking display.

The service writer says there is a new TSB from Mazda to replace the display due to shorting problems.
Of course they had to order the display so I'll have to take the car in again next week to complete the repair.

I'll post the effectiveness of the fix when I get a chance.

I have run into this issue as well. Screen went dead on me, audio works fine. Sad to hear it needs to be replaced so soon, I don't even have 2000 miles on mine

Just got back from the dealership. Took the CX-9 in for an intermittent blanking display.

The service writer says there is a new TSB from Mazda to replace the display due to shorting problems.
Of course they had to order the display so I'll have to take the car in again next week to complete the repair.

I'll post the effectiveness of the fix when I get a chance.

Are you able to post a TSB reference? My 2016 had the screen replaced early on, due to failure. Since then, I have had a few times where it goes dead (audio still works). Restarting the car fixes it, for now.

I have run into this issue as well. Screen went dead on me, audio works fine. Sad to hear it needs to be replaced so soon, I don't even have 2000 miles on mine

You shouldn't be sad to hear it--the TSB is a good thing. Mazda acknowledges it's an issue, which makes it easier to get it fixed. There's 1000s of parts on a car, and I've never owned a car that didn't have something that needed to be addressed under warranty/TSB. Just make sure to take a video of the issue if it happens so you can show the service manager, in case they can't "replicate the issue".

You shouldn't be sad to hear it--the TSB is a good thing. Mazda acknowledges it's an issue, which makes it easier to get it fixed. There's 1000s of parts on a car, and I've never owned a car that didn't have something that needed to be addressed under warranty/TSB. Just make sure to take a video of the issue if it happens so you can show the service manager, in case they can't "replicate the issue".

I meant "sad" in that I don't like the idea of tearing up the dash on a relatively new car, I have full confidence in their ability to fix the issue. My previous Mazda 6 sedan run for 148,000 miles with zero issues besides wear and tear, so I was hoping this would carry forward. I did take a video to show them.

I also took a video recently. Mine seems to reboot a few times now that the temperature has dropped below 20F. I made an appointment with the dealer but am thinking of calling ahead to see if they have the parts on hand or need to order them to avoid a second visit.

OK, took the car in yesterday for the replacement display. The repair took about an hour and a half from start to finish. They also updated the software to the latest v59.502. We have driven the car for several hours since the service without any issues, so hopefully this is a good fix.

I didn't know about the TSB prior to taking the car in the first time, but got lucky as the display failed on the way to the dealer. When I drove in, the service writer walked up to the car and asked what he could do for me so all I had to say was "look" as I pointed to the blank display. It took them one day to get the new display in.

The TSB number is: 09-034/17

I also took a video recently. Mine seems to reboot a few times now that the temperature has dropped below 20F. I made an appointment with the dealer but am thinking of calling ahead to see if they have the parts on hand or need to order them to avoid a second visit.

If you haven't already, I would suggest you call ahead. They may have to get the part ordered in if there are no spares, and apparently a claim number is needed to trigger this.

If you haven't already, I would suggest you call ahead. They may have to get the part ordered in if there are no spares, and apparently a claim number is needed to trigger this.

Well, I tried this and got shut down. First, I got the "There are no known hardware issues with the Infotainment system, only anecdotes". Then, "Well, yes there's a TSB, but that doesn't mean that's the issue you're having." And finally, "Even if it were a hardware issue there is a nationwide backorder on the part, so there's no way we'd be able to get it all done in a day."

Bleh.

I'm planning to drop off the car the night before so it's good and cold and hopefully they'll see the problem. I offered a video I took of it rebooting while I was driving which I thought would be some kind of proof I wasn't making it all up. :) As an engineer I understand the desire to actually see the problem, but if the thing is just spontaneously rebooting I don't see how watching it reboot first-hand makes any kind of difference.

Can this behavior in the infotainment log any codes they can pull?

I have the same issue, reboots a few times after a cold start with below freezing temperatures. It makes it to the "Loading Navigation" message. I'm at the other end of Rt 146, BTW.

I have the same issue, reboots a few times after a cold start with below freezing temperatures. It makes it to the "Loading Navigation" message. I'm at the other end of Rt 146, BTW.

Greetings from up north!

I bought the car from the dealership in Shrewsbury. I'll let you know what they say.

I've not gotten stuck at the Loading NAV screen but I have had a few blank screens upon start, a failed backup camera screen where is just shows a gray screen with the backup sensor icons, and a stuck home screen.

Nice to see a good number of MA owners in this forum..

It looks like this thread has morphed into two separate issues. My original post dealt with a dead display (due to shorting). That issue has been confirmed by Mazda and assigned a TSB to have the display replaced.

The issue of the reboot, blank screen at start up et., is due to a software problem according to the service writer I spoke to. He described it as a glitch that occurs during load up where the program fails to fully boot up and results in a frozen or blank screen. The same glitch can occur anytime causing the system to reboot and freeze. The service writer told me the software update I listed in a previous post is supposed to fix that glitch.

If you have a bad display, the system will boot up and work normally then just go dark. Everything apparently still works (music still coming from speakers, etc). If it's the software problem, it will be more along the boot up failures and freezing.

It looks like this thread has morphed into two separate issues. My original post dealt with a dead display (due to shorting). That issue has been confirmed by Mazda and assigned a TSB to have the display replaced.

The issue of the reboot, blank screen at start up et., is due to a software problem according to the service writer I spoke to. He described it as a glitch that occurs during load up where the program fails to fully boot up and results in a frozen or blank screen. The same glitch can occur anytime causing the system to reboot and freeze. The service writer told me the software update I listed in a previous post is supposed to fix that glitch.

If you have a bad display, the system will boot up and work normally then just go dark. Everything apparently still works (music still coming from speakers, etc). If it's the software problem, it will be more along the boot up failures and freezing.

My issue is somewhere in the middle of that. When you start the car, the screen is blank. Audio and controls work just fine with the only fix being to actually restart the car (or key-cycle). Both times, this happened after a particularly cold night.

When I took mine in, I was told that my sw version was old. However, even though they had the replacement part already ordered in and ready, I didn't quite feel comfortable with the fact that this was the first CX-9 the dealer was trial-running the fix on. I will try the new sw in my upcoming long roadtrip and if it doesn't work, take it back in for replacement

I just got mine back from 5 days in the shop. They tried to tell me it was a "software upgrade issue", but it positively was not. After the software update failed, they replaced the screen, CMU and back up camera. I was having system reset and blank screen issues, plus no back up camera display when shifting in reverse (occasionally).

Now I've lost my tachometer in the heads up display. Someone at my dealership is getting an ass chewing on December 26th.

My issue is somewhere in the middle of that. When you start the car, the screen is blank. Audio and controls work just fine with the only fix being to actually restart the car (or key-cycle). Both times, this happened after a particularly cold night.

When I took mine in, I was told that my sw version was old. However, even though they had the replacement part already ordered in and ready, I didn't quite feel comfortable with the fact that this was the first CX-9 the dealer was trial-running the fix on. I will try the new sw in my upcoming long roadtrip and if it doesn't work, take it back in for replacement
Sounds like a bad display. If it was software related, you wouldn't have any functionality. It will be interesting to hear what you report after the road trip.

After the software update failed, they replaced the screen, CMU and back up camera.
Sounds like they went a little overboard with the parts replacement. Unless you were having display problems only when backing up, why replace the b/u camera? As for the CMU, maybe the TSB for the 2016 is more involved than subsequent years.

They had already replaced the screen and camera previously. Not sure why they went so far other than to think that I had one of the first 2016's and it was obviously an issue Mazda felt strongly about. Happy they did it, sad I lost my Tachometer, never to return.

My advice is to get the software update. If the problem is corrected, you'll have your answer.

I updated my software months ago. The reboot problem started happening again after it started getting really cold around here. Sorry for the thread hijack!

I picked up my car yesterday after leaving it overnight for them to diagnose (temps in the single digits). They recreated the issue and talked to Mazda - they claim the issue is ... the SD card! They have ordered a new one.

Of course the engineer in me can easily test this out. Take out the SD card and see if the problem continues to happen. Then warm up the car and put the SD card in the freezer before reinstalling it.

The service manager was convinced this was the issue. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they know I'm having a problem they can futz around all they want (as long as I get a loaner).

Also getting the rear spring TSB and rear hinge recall taken care of when the parts arrive.

Back