2018 EPA Estimates

Why are you confusing trade-in value with the price of used cars for sale? He specifically mentioned trade-in value:

A 2-3k difference is pretty significant difference for most consumers if you're trading in your car.

Keep in mind the 2014 CX-5 was on sale from January 2013-January 2014. That same time period, the 2013 RAV4 was on sale. Those resale numbers are inaccurate as the 2014 CX-5 is actually a year older.

People forget mazda was a model year ahead (still dont know why) for MY 2013-2016.5.

My mileage isn't even close. I'm getting about 19 city / 27 highway / 22 combined. [My calcs-- the dash computer is way off.] It's the only real disappointment I have with the car. I wouldn't mind if it had significant power, but it's just adequate power.
Hoping gas mileage will improve with miles.

And I wonder why Mazda insists that a 6 speed auto is more efficient than a 9 or 10 speed. Doesn't stand to reason, all else being equal [which it never is].

Be careful...they will call you a troll/liar/etc. just like they did me when I reported 23mpg combined, 27-28 highway. But yes, I agree, Mazda is the only vehicle I have had (infiniti, Nissan, Chrysler, Chevy, Ford) that failed so miserably to meet highway spec.

Be careful...they will call you a troll/liar/etc. just like they did me when I reported 23mpg combined, 27-28 highway. But yes, I agree, Mazda is the only vehicle I have had (infiniti, Nissan, Chrysler, Chevy, Ford) that failed so miserably to meet highway spec.

They can say what they want... I couldn't care less. You're not suggesting that we not report our honest observations, are you?

They can say what they want... I couldn't care less. You're not suggesting that we not report our honest observations, are you?

The difference was Uno was claiming the CX-5 only gets 21 MPG combined instead of saying that he only get 21 MPG combined. We later learned that he was driving from a cold start for 2-3 miles to his work at 90 mph. Which is why I ignore everything he says.

People should report what they are finding but realize it might only apply to them. For example, my 2014 now gets only 26 MPG on the highway after I moved to Michelin tires. I also have 95K on the odometer but so far, not happy with them. But note, this applies only to me. Most people are getting much higher MPG numbers.

The difference was Uno was claiming the CX-5 only gets 21 MPG combined instead of saying that he only get 21 MPG combined. We later learned that he was driving from a cold start for 2-3 miles to his work at 90 mph. Which is why I ignore everything he says.

People should report what they are finding but realize it might only apply to them. For example, my 2014 now gets only 26 MPG on the highway after I moved to Michelin tires. I also have 95K on the odometer but so far, not happy with them. But note, this applies only to me. Most people are getting much higher MPG numbers.
Well said.
I never get Hwvy MPG in my FWD in Texas. Never even close to 33. Combined mpg # I easily ace it. trufacts.

My mileage isn't even close. I'm getting about 19 city / 27 highway / 22 combined. [My calcs-- the dash computer is way off.] It's the only real disappointment I have with the car. I wouldn't mind if it had significant power, but it's just adequate power.
Hoping gas mileage will improve with miles.

And I wonder why Mazda insists that a 6 speed auto is more efficient than a 9 or 10 speed. Doesn't stand to reason, all else being equal [which it never is].

That's terrible. I got 31 on the highway, and averaged 26.5 (winter blend) 27.5 (summer blend) on my previous 2016 AWD CX5.

You lost me at "just follow the speed limit". No can do, amigo. I set the cruise at 74 and let the radar do the work [limit 65]. And I live up a hill, so I get single digits going up it... but I get triple digits going down! I don't have a lead foot, anyway.

Actually, mileage is relatively unimportant to me, since I don't commute, thus don't drive that much anymore. I'm barely broken in.

What's most important is that I FEEL LIKE A KING when I'm driving that car!
Well there's your issue. You use cruise control and set it for 74 mph and you live up a hill. That is why your mpg is lower than average. The mpg you save going downhill is less than the mpg you lose going up hill. Also our cruise control maintains speed even when going downhill, so you also lose some of the momentum you would have gained from going downhill. Like someone else has said though, your car's mpg is solely dependent on your driving style and environment. I live in DFW, just like Kaps, but he gets significantly better mpg than I do.

no idea. maybe the engine doesn't have enough miles on it yet to be fully broken in. but i got great mileage starting around 500-600 miles on the clock.
I always believe each engine is different from factory getting different horsepower and fuel consumption due to manufacturing tolerance. Your CX-5 simply has better assemblied engine than most others hence you got your gas mileage like a FWD CX-5.

Like Unobtanium, I can never get EPA highway figure unless I drive 10~15 miles below our highway speed limits.

I always believe each engine is different from factory getting different horsepower and fuel consumption due to manufacturing tolerance. Your CX-5 simply has better assemblied engine than most others hence you got your gas mileage like a FWD CX-5.

Like Unobtanium, I can never get EPA highway figure unless I drive 10~15 miles below our highway speed limits.

Probably a bit of that, along with the fact our highways have lower posted speeds than a lot of southern states.

What are your speed limits (scratch)

Oh right speed limits. When I visited Portland last month, the highest speed limit I saw was 55 mph. It was really slow. Anyway, at 55 mph, a CX-5 would be returning stellar fuel mileage.

Around 80-100km/h (55-62mph) is where you will get best highway fuel consumption

Mostly 75 mph some are 80 mph. But if you drive at speed limit, you’ll get rear-ended for sure!

(lol)

Anyways see my previous post. Around those speeds on a consistent basis and you will get very close to official figures

Oh right speed limits. When I visited Portland last month, the highest speed limit I saw was 55 mph. It was really slow. Anyway, at 55 mph, a CX-5 would be returning stellar fuel mileage.

Depends on where you drive. Lots of hills around my part of Portland... I'm only averaging around 22MPG on a '17 GT AWD (after ~1500 miles). I can get 28-29MPG on the freeway (at 65-70MPH), but most of my driving is local with lots of stops and hills (~400ft elevation changes several times per day).

Depends on where you drive. Lots of hills around my part of Portland... I'm only averaging around 22MPG on a '17 GT AWD (after ~1500 miles). I can get 28-29MPG on the freeway (at 65-70MPH), but most of my driving is local with lots of stops and hills (~400ft elevation changes several times per day).

Yeah I can see that kind of driving environment having a big impact on fuel mileage. At least you're still getting 22 MPG.

Back