2018 EPA Estimates

I take my criticism of CRVs poor city mpg back. After all if it leaks Fuel - mpg will go down. (pukey)

Honda the power of screams? (flame2)

Honda CR-V Recalled To Prevent Fires From Fuel Leaks ...
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/honda-cr-v-recalled-fires-fuel-leaks.shtml
Jul 28, 2017 - Honda recalls 24,000 model year 2017 CR-Vs after finding gas can leak from the fuel feed pipes. By David A. Wood. , CarComplaints.com. Posted in Recalls. Honda CR-V Recalled To Prevent Fires From Fuel Leaks Honda recalls 24,000 model year 2017 CR-Vs after finding gas can leak from the fuel feed ...

Look at me when I rock with you

Not to mention 16 CX5 started selling in around Aug 2015. So it is 1 year x months old depreciation of a MZD vs 1 year old Rav4.
Also small displacement turbos and fuel efficiency - is consistent with older Honda's that never hit EPA #s. Atleast most of us hit ours and some like me better it. 121 opened 4 lanes baby. 30 mpg on a tank here I come ..........................................

Hilarious to compare trade-in value for 2016 models when were in 2017, as if the majority of car owners trade in their cars after one year?(lol2)

The average length of car ownership is 6 years. The example I used was only 3 years and there was a clear difference. BTW if you were to compare 2012s for example that disparity would be even greater, more like 3-4K. Heres a link that will tell you all you want to know about Toyotas residual value.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-brand/

And funny how people like to bring up Honda engines not hitting their EPA numbers. Guess what? Whatever numbers they get in real world situation still beats everything else on the market so it really doesnt matter...

Last edited:
whataboutery - as John Oliver pointed out is a fantastic way to never lose an argument. Lol.

Your are not wearing any pants today!!
But but I ate cheese burger yesterday.
That still is not related to you not wearing pants today.
But I helped an old lady cross the road as well.

And we end with the compulsory - Hillary's emails.

I simply can’t imagine you can get a trade-in value of your CX-5 like the RAV4! If Mazda CX-5’s trade-in value is on-par with Toyota RAV4, its customer retention rate should be much higher!

My 1998 almost 180K-mile Honda CR-V parked at the front of the house still attracts people asking if I want to sell it! :)

It's nowhere near other cars in its segment. My 2015 Touring is worth less than $10K trade-in. I have NEVER owned a vehicle that was so worthless so fast. First, and last Mazda. I'm done with this brand, even if the vehicle lasts without issue. It's financially ignorant to buy Mazda, I am now seeing. I was under the impression it would fare far better.

I think it is just comical that the 2018 model gets cylinder deactivation.... There's a reason no one else has done it on a 4 cylinder.

Except VW on their 1.4 Turbo (since 2011 I believe) and their new 1.5 Turbo.
Ford is implementing it on their 1.0 3-cylinder engine.

It's probably "free". A few lines of code in the ECU, etc. and so even if it gives 0.001mpg....why not?

And the 2017 CX-5 in Europe has had it the entire year and nobody has mentioned it at all. Nobody.

Its only financially ignorant if you didn't do any diligence and just bought what you liked then checked resale a year or 2 in. It was still relatively new model when i bought it but looking at the model it replaced and other Mazdas I knew well it wouldn't hold like my old cr-v or a rav but i spend a good amount of time in the car daily, plan to keep min 5 years and didnt need a loan to purchase after my crv trade so yeah I wanted to keep cost down but it was worth every penny over a crosstrek or similar crv..for me. The most financially prudent no..that's probably base level rav or crv..life's too short. Rather buy and hold the cx5 for 8 years than 2 of either of those for 4. But for every 1 of me there's 10 or 20 that feel the honda or toyota are better for them and they're probably right.

Last edited:
It's nowhere near other cars in its segment. My 2015 Touring is worth less than $10K trade-in. I have NEVER owned a vehicle that was so worthless so fast. First, and last Mazda. I'm done with this brand, even if the vehicle lasts without issue. It's financially ignorant to buy Mazda, I am now seeing. I was under the impression it would fare far better.

You cant say this with a straight face or you probably think Ford, Nissan, Kia and Hyundai dont make cars in this segment?
You paid 2 grand too much when buying, if i were you i would not even drive near that dealer again.

It could also be a regional thing, dealers in your area might move the CX5 to other metros. In Dallas as i posted a 16 GT non certified 37k miles AWD is listed for same as 17 Rav4 FWD XLE with 21k miles and certified.

16 GT could have been sold in August 2015 so take that and Mazda list price is going to look even better.

You can drive it more and sell it in a nearby good location on Craigslist.
Now, unless you are like Mr Bean when it comes to negotiating, you should be good.

Last edited:
It's probably "free". A few lines of code in the ECU, etc. and so even if it gives 0.001mpg....why not?

It's not free. It requires a different or at least modified valvetrain, to prevent valve actuation on the disabled cylinders.

But every MPG matters these days.

It's not free. It requires a different or at least modified valvetrain, to prevent valve actuation on the disabled cylinders.

But every MPG matters these days.

From all the reviews I have read, Mazda appears to be one of the few manufacturers that's real world mpg is close to official tested mpg

Finances is not the only criterion for buying a particular car....

From all the reviews I have read, Mazda appears to be one of the few manufacturers that's real world mpg is close to official tested mpg

My mileage isn't even close. I'm getting about 19 city / 27 highway / 22 combined. [My calcs-- the dash computer is way off.] It's the only real disappointment I have with the car. I wouldn't mind if it had significant power, but it's just adequate power.
Hoping gas mileage will improve with miles.

And I wonder why Mazda insists that a 6 speed auto is more efficient than a 9 or 10 speed. Doesn't stand to reason, all else being equal [which it never is].

My mileage isn't even close. I'm getting about 19 city / 27 highway / 22 combined. [My calcs-- the dash computer is way off.] It's the only real disappointment I have with the car. I wouldn't mind if it had significant power, but it's just adequate power.

And I wonder why Mazda insists that a 6 speed auto is more efficient than a 9 or 10 speed. Doesn't stand to reason, all else being equal [which it never is].
What is your driving conditions like? How much of your drive is cruising on the highway? How much is city driving?

I found that the best way to get the best mpg out of our 2016 is to just follow the speed limit. The mpg has also slowly improved on our car on every oil change. I thought it was improving at 15k miles, but it seems to be even better now at 20+k miles. I'm still nowhere near the EPA estimates though.

I am afraid you may have dragging rear brakes. Try to smell them after a drive. In my case Mazda beats combined quite easily. And if i drive this car harder, the mpg drops but not the same as other manufacturers. Savageese has a review on his skyactiv 3 and he says mpg has been phenomenal.

no body is arguing 9 speed is not better for mpg, but it comes with the baggage of gear hunting etc. Mazda has done the 6 speed in a very sweet manner. Across the board it is one of the best in any car under 40-50K USD.
Mazda has gained mpg in other areas.

I get close to and sometimes exceed our official figures with my 6

Because they don't offer a 9-10 speed transmission like their competitors do, that's the only reason.

I am afraid you may have dragging rear brakes.

Great suggestion. I haven't smelled them at all, but next drive I'll bring the IR thermometer with me and check them out.

What is your driving conditions like? How much of your drive is cruising on the highway? How much is city driving?

I found that the best way to get the best mpg out of our 2016 is to just follow the speed limit. The mpg has also slowly improved on our car on every oil change. I thought it was improving at 15k miles, but it seems to be even better now at 20+k miles. I'm still nowhere near the EPA estimates though.

You lost me at "just follow the speed limit". No can do, amigo. I set the cruise at 74 and let the radar do the work [limit 65]. And I live up a hill, so I get single digits going up it... but I get triple digits going down! I don't have a lead foot, anyway.

Actually, mileage is relatively unimportant to me, since I don't commute, thus don't drive that much anymore. I'm barely broken in.

What's most important is that I FEEL LIKE A KING when I'm driving that car!

I am averaging 25-26 mixed driving city/highway with my CX5 2017 GT AWD. This is in I Don't care about my mileage MODE. Coming from a Rav4 V6 with 19-21 mpg average...... I am very happy with the CX5

Back