2018 EPA Estimates

I feel out of touch. I've had my Acura for 18 years, in the meantime, I've saved cash for my loaded diesel CX-5, if it is ever offered. To my thinking, a house is worth going into debt over. Its an investment, but a car isn't, especially a new one with comfort and vanity features.

So after all these years now Mazda even added questionable and problematic cylinder deactivation the EPA Fuel Economy figure stays almost the same on AWD CX-5? For 2018 CX-5 FWD with cylinder deactivation it still can’t catch its 2016 level?

Mazda CX-5
EPA Fuel Economy
2.5L FWD
Combined/City/Highway
2.5L AWD
Combined/City/Highway
201427/25/3126/24/29
201527/25/3126/24/29
201629/26/3326/24/29
201727/24/3126/23/29
201828/25/3126/24/30

Again wait before you judge cylinder deactivation

Also reason people forget is current model weighs more than 2016 model so unless they cut weight or introduce SkyActiv-X now, it won't reach fuel economy levels of before no matter how they tweak/modify the current engine

Resale is pretty decent. It is on par with Rav4.

That is good to know.

Also reason people forget is current model weighs more than 2016 model so unless they cut weight or introduce SkyActiv-X now, it won't reach fuel economy levels of before no matter how they tweak/modify the current engine
That's why I think it is a good improvement. The 2017 and up models have more features and better NVH than a 2016 model, so it is good that they are able to get some improvements in fuel mileage.

I know about trade in vs used prices. Also - the car i listed had 171K miles on it. Still pretty good resale considering someone drove it around that much.

My CX5 is 16K miles and a year old - I dont need to see its trade in value now. Maybe 2-3 years later at which point it will be good - [B]it is similar to a Rav4 which I am ok with.[/B]
I simply cant imagine you can get a trade-in value of your CX-5 like the RAV4! If Mazda CX-5s trade-in value is on-par with Toyota RAV4, its customer retention rate should be much higher!

My 1998 almost 180K-mile Honda CR-V parked at the front of the house still attracts people asking if I want to sell it! :)

That's why I think it is a good improvement. The 2017 and up models have more features and better NVH than a 2016 model, so it is good that they are able to get some improvements in fuel mileage.

Any improvement is better than no improvement!

That is good to know.

Well its good if Mazda uses proven technology to improve fuel economy, but its not good if Mazda uses some questionable technology to improve the fuel economy. I havent seen any special measurements from Mazda to prevent common problems from cylinder deactivation such as oil burning and (expensive SkyActiv) spark plug fouling.

Again Honda V6 is the only engine uses cylinder deactivation technology on the market right now. A V6 can have benefit on saving more fuel with some side-effects. But a 4-cylinder simply is not worth the risk. Actually 2018 CX-5 EPA fuel economy rating proves that by adding the cylinder deactivation is not worth the effort!

Any improvement is better than no improvement!
With what price though ⋯

You improved fuel economy, but suffers with more frequent expensive spark plug replacement and adding oil more frequently?

With what price though ⋯

You improved fuel economy, but suffers with more frequent expensive spark plug replacement and adding oil more frequently?

Again this is pure speculation. Wait until it comes out and is driven

Well it’s good if Mazda uses proven technology to improve fuel economy, but it’s not good if Mazda uses some questionable technology to improve the fuel economy. I haven’t seen any special measurements from Mazda to prevent common problems from cylinder deactivation such as oil burning and (expensive SkyActiv) spark plug fouling.

Again Honda V6 is the only engine uses cylinder deactivation technology on the market right now. A V6 can have benefit on saving more fuel with some side-effects. But a 4-cylinder simply is not worth the risk. Actually 2018 CX-5 EPA fuel economy rating proves that by adding the cylinder deactivation is not worth the effort!
I understand you're skeptical about new technology being introduced by Mazda, but we cannot judge it to be a failure before it even gets released in a vehicle here. No one has even reviewed the new engine with cylinder deactivation yet.

How do you know that an I-4 engine would not benefit from cylinder deactivation? What is the risk with cylinder deactivation that makes it worthwhile on a V6 engine but not worthwhile on an I-4 engine?

It is only getting activated during light load, presumably only when we are cruising so I'm not surprised that it doesn't make a drastic improvement to fuel mileage. I'll take improvements to MPG especially if they didn't need to drop horsepower/performance to get those improvements.

Again this is pure speculation. Wait until it comes out and is driven
Mazda has never mentioned how to prevent these common problems found on cylinder deactivation, and you believe these problems would go away by itself from SkyActiv engine?

Mazda has never mentioned how to prevent these common problems found on cylinder deactivation, and you believe these problems would go away by itself from SkyActiv engine?

Because they might now not exist (uhm)

All I am saying is don't judge something based on what may have occurred in the past. Technology has improved since then and maybe any issues don't exist anymore.

Besides like it or not this engine and it's cylinder deactivation is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

If after 1 year or so of this engine being in mass use problems appear then you can claim hindsight and I am happy to "take my lumps".

But now, it is pure speculation.

I simply can’t imagine you can get a trade-in value of your CX-5 like the RAV4! If Mazda CX-5’s trade-in value is on-par with Toyota RAV4, its customer retention rate should be much higher!

My 1998 almost 180K-mile Honda CR-V parked at the front of the house still attracts people asking if I want to sell it! :)

Here you go ....

attachment.php

Across the range till 2014 they sell the same.
If you are saying that MZD dealers give you less and keep more margins than Toyota - it will still be about 500 here or there.

GT Used 16 AWD is same price as certified 17 FWD XLE (GT has 35K miles compared to 21K on the Toyota)
Seems pretty much even.

Attachments

• compare.JPG
    compare.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Because they might now not exist (uhm)

All I am saying is don't judge something based on what may have occurred in the past. Technology has improved since then and maybe any issues don't exist anymore.

Besides like it or not this engine and it's cylinder deactivation is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

If after 1 year or so of this engine being in mass use problems appear then you can claim hindsight and I am happy to "take my lumps".

But now, it is pure speculation.
Each technology is different. Therere many ways to save fuel. CVT or 8/9-speed automatic transmission are proven technology to save fuel. CVT used to be problematic and unreliable but now has been improved so much many car manufactures are using it. Turbo is also another example the reliability has been improved so much that many car manufacture has no hesitation to implement it. Cylinder deactivation? The problems I mentioned above are well known and are inherited from the design. Unless Mazda designed a totally different way from others otherwise itll have these issues due to the nature of these idle cylinders without normal explosion to heat up and burn. Thats why no one else implement this technology other than Honda after many failed tries. And Mazda is the only one to implemente it on a 4-cylinder which has minimum gain on fuel saving. A 8-speed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission will be easily to achieve the same fuel savings without any doubts of any known problems.

Each technology is different. There’re many ways to save fuel. CVT or 8/9-speed automatic transmission are proven technology to save fuel. CVT used to be problematic and unreliable but now has been improved so much many car manufactures are using it. Turbo is also another example the reliability has been improved so much that many car manufacture has no hesitation to implement it. Cylinder deactivation? The problems I mentioned above are well known and are inherited from the design. Unless Mazda designed a totally different way from others otherwise it’ll have these issues due to the nature of these idle cylinders without normal explosion to heat up and burn. That’s why no one else implement this technology other than Honda after many failed tries. And Mazda is the only one to implemente it on a 4-cylinder which has minimum gain on fuel saving. A 8-speed SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission will be easily to achieve the same fuel savings without any doubts of any known problems.

I will reserve my judgement

Each to their own.

Here you go ....

attachment.php

Across the range till 2014 they sell the same.
If you are saying that MZD dealers give you less and keep more margins than Toyota - it will still be about 500 here or there.

GT Used 16 AWD is same price as certified 17 FWD XLE (GT has 35K miles compared to 21K on the Toyota)
Seems pretty much even.

Why are you confusing trade-in value with the price of used cars for sale? He specifically mentioned trade-in value:

A 2-3k difference is pretty significant difference for most consumers if you're trading in your car.

That’s why no one else implement this technology other than Honda after many failed tries.

And Honda themselves are phasing this out in preference to turbocharging, which provides better torque in the low end and way better fuel economy. The new Accord gets better fuel economy then the outgoing V6, and is faster as well despite having 15 less horsepower.

Why are you confusing trade-in value with the price of used cars for sale? He specifically mentioned trade-in value:

A 2-3k difference is pretty significant difference for most consumers if you're trading in your car.

For 2017 models, the starting MSRPs between a CX5 GT vs. a RAV4-limited is $1.5K already.

For 2017 models, the starting MSRPs between a CX5 GT vs. a RAV4-limited is $1.5K already.

Look at me when I rock with you

Not to mention 16 CX5 started selling in around Aug 2015. So it is 1 year x months old depreciation of a MZD vs 1 year old Rav4.
Also small displacement turbos and fuel efficiency - is consistent with older Honda's that never hit EPA #s. Atleast most of us hit ours and some like me better it. 121 opened 4 lanes baby. 30 mpg on a tank here I come ..........................................

Back