Need help/tips to remove AC vents on a 2017 CX-5

fluidphil

:
2017 Mazda, CX-5
anybody have any tips/links on how to remove the AC Vents in a 2017 CX-5

looking to access the Infotainment unit (to apply the AIO Tweaks by connecting to the serial port)

read some posts/watched video for the 3 series vehicles, gave it a shot with some plastic pry tools but no luck, dash/vents on the CX-5 are just different enough that none of those tips work.

I've used the search function in this forum but nothing specific to the 2017 CX-5 pops up. Any info would be most helpful, thanks.

Funny you should ask. I've had my dash off a number of times the past few weeks. Couldn't be easier (although I was hesitate at first) and is literally no more than 3 minutes. Of all things, I used a Swiss Army knife (screw-driver part) to start, but any flat blade screwdriver will work.

1. The lower panel comes off first - carefully pry the panel; from the passenger side between the panel and plastic dash - just enough so you can get a finger or two under the panel. Carefully pull/tug the panel and the snap pins/rivets 'release'. Very obvious when they do. Note the starter button's wire harness.

2. Upper panel is next (and contains the center AC/air vents). Same as above - use the flat blade to start and upper panel pulls away exactly as the lower panel. Note the emergency flashers quick connect (small) wire harness - unclip it and you'll have full access to the vents. Each lower and upper panel has 8 to 12 (???, I never counted) of these snap pins.

3. Re-install by doing just the opposite - remember to re-clip the emergency flashers. The snap pins are pretty tough and I've had no noise/loose fit issues - at all - and I had the dash off probably 8x's?

4. Very, very simple to do - after you do it once, you'll see and say 'oh, piece of cake......'

Perfect, both these replies are the info i was looking for.

Looks like the "missing link" to get the ball rolling is to "carefully" start with the Lower Panel, (i was focusing on the upper panel only).

PDF (anchorman) and the detailed instruction (eagles) are most helpful, apprears to be start forward now with this info, thank you very much.

Last edited:
For reference.
Nice video showing this process.
I've got a noise around the passenger side vent that is annoying me so this info. is greatly appreciated.

Back