Mazda says "no" to CVTs

This is correct. You'll notice the people that bash them here constantly bring up Nissan as an example. Maybe Nissan just builds unreliable CVTs? I don't know I have never driven one, although most reviewers who have done reviews on vehicles with good CVTS(CRV/Forester) praise them, in fact the CRV and Forester have won 3 Motor Trend SUV of the year awards in the last 5 year using CVTs.

Exactly. Let's bash skyactiv because of GM's early DI engines! Derp.

lol. our CRV's CVT has some sort of TSB/recall or whatever out for it... haven't taken it to the dealer for the service though...

lol. our CRV's CVT has some sort of TSB/recall or whatever out for it... haven't taken it to the dealer for the service though...

I wonder if it's similar to the one Mazda put out because they installed bad parts and transmissions were dying because of it...let's not knock the CRV's CVT just for a TSB...glass houses and all that.

I wonder if it's similar to the one Mazda put out because they installed bad parts and transmissions were dying because of it...let's not knock the CRV's CVT just for a TSB...glass houses and all that.

i think it has to do with the programming.... and there are countless complaints about the excessive vibration from the power train, which ours always experiences.

After dropping off the CX-5 at the dealership today, my dad drove me home in his 2015 Accord with the CVT. While trying to merge on the highway, I noticed how the engine/exhaust was humming up and down and up and down, like it was trying to hunt for the correct gear ratio but never really settled on one until he was done merging. Meh, that was just weird. Other people probably would not have noticed because the Accord is pretty quiet inside, but I did and I didn't like it.

I was actually looking at a 2004 Nissan Sentra spec V with the 6 speed manual before settling with this Maxima. it could have just been that my particular Maxima was very well maintained by the original owner (it was from British Columbia so the car has no rust) but my 2001 Honda Accord Ive owned in the past had similar mileage and it did not feel anywhere near as well put together as this Maxima. It still feels like and for the most part drives like a new car except for the worn suspension... the quality of materials, fit and finish, overall assembly reminds me of the quality you would find in a Toyota Camry from this era - very well built. I inquired about this vehicle and bought it the very same day it was posted up for sale on Kijiji, so I scored one hell of a deal. I was looking for one of these to compliment my manual transmission-lacking lineup for ages but its damn near impossible to find one in any sort of condition with a manual transmission.

With the next generation of maximas they changed it from a 3L 5 speed like mine to 3.5L 6 speed in either 2002 or 2003, I do not remember when exactly. As for the last good Nissan being built before 2006, i wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately it had a lot to do with Renault swooping in to save the brand, and they forced Nissan to take some very dramatic cost cutting measures to save money and you can feel it with the newer cars.

Digressing into the memory vault for a moment, when I bought my 2003 SE-R, I really wanted the Spec-V with the Manual.
My wife doesn't drive a shift, so I had to settle for the automatic. Sigh.
Even so, back then it was a bit of a sleeper. Altima engine in a Sentra made for a quick car.
My son was just coming out of University then and was trying to get on his feet, so I pretty much gave him that car.
He ended up moving out of province, and I never saw the car again. I'm still a little pissed to this day that I didn't get it back.

As for the 2000-2001 Maxima, I think you're right about it being the 3.0L, and not the 3.3L. I wasn't sure anymore what it had.
Nissan introduced the 3.5L engine across it's product line in 2001, and they are still using versions of that engine today.
My 2002 Pathfinder has that engine, and it's bulletproof.

Digressing into the memory vault for a moment, when I bought my 2003 SE-R, I really wanted the Spec-V with the Manual.
My wife doesn't drive a shift, so I had to settle for the automatic. Sigh.
Even so, back then it was a bit of a sleeper. Altima engine in a Sentra made for a quick car.
My son was just coming out of University then and was trying to get on his feet, so I pretty much gave him that car.
He ended up moving out of province, and I never saw the car again. I'm still a little pissed to this day that I didn't get it back.

As for the 2000-2001 Maxima, I think you're right about it being the 3.0L, and not the 3.3L. I wasn't sure anymore what it had.
Nissan introduced the 3.5L engine across it's product line in 2001, and they are still using versions of that engine today.
My 2002 Pathfinder has that engine, and it's bulletproof.

I agree, I was really excited to buy this Sentra, and perhaps I actually should have bought it over the Maxima because it had less mileage, but there was a big rusted hole in the drivers door and no one was buying the car for some reason so I decided against it. The car just needed to be a manual, or else I wouldnt even think of buying a car this old and this cheap.

The 3L engine i have is a variant of your 3.5, they are all under the VQ name and it is a lovely family of motors. I really cant say enough good things about this Maxima - I am
Enjoying every minute with it. While the 2001+ 3.5L would have been nice, I feel like its simply too much power for a FWD chassis by that point. Even with my 3L i get a little bit of torque steer during hard acceleration in first or second gear. I just cant say enough good things about this manual, I can feel that its very efficient. I am getting about 9-10.5L/100KM in mostly suburb driving, the same as my old Honda Accord 5 speed with as much coasting in between the red lights as possible and speeding maybe half the time. I upshift at 3000RPM most of the time.

As for your situation with the Sentra, its a damn shame you had to settle with an auto. I would have forced the wifey to learn manual, lol. You should definitely call up your son and find out how your Sentra is doing because I would be curious to know too.

I actually took apart my airbox a couple days ago so I can clean the throttle body. I focused around the edges of the butterfly valve with a screwdriver covered in a microfibre cloth, and I cleaned the edges of the throttle body itself and WOW, what a difference that made. Greatly improved low end torque and throttle response before 3000RPM which is important for me because I specifically wanted a manual so I can short shift and save fuel when I dont feel like speeding. Anyways, very happy with this car and Ive omitted any ideas of selling my Maxima by this point. As a matter of fact, I think Im going to go take it out for a drive right now...

In the near term, I think CVTs are going to decline a little bit in favor of the new 8-10 speed transmissions because of ratio spread. Nissan's old CVT and Subaru's CVT have a ratio spread of about 6:1, that's roughly equivalent to a 6-speed auto transmission. In Honda's CVT, the ratio spread is 6.5:1, and in Nissan's current CVT it's 7:1. But ZF's 9-speed and Honda's 10-speed autos have a ratio spread of 9.8:1, which is wide enough that there is no need to compromise performance off the line in favor of highway fuel economy or vice versa.

As for your situation with the Sentra, its a damn shame you had to settle with an auto. I would have forced the wifey to learn manual, lol. You should definitely call up your son and find out how your Sentra is doing because I would be curious to know too.
You don't know my wife...lol. No way was the manual going to happen.
Like I said, my son took the car out of province (down east), and eventually sold it. He got married, had a kid, etc. Needed a bigger car. Oh well. That's life.

In the near term, I think CVTs are going to decline a little bit in favor of the new 8-10 speed transmissions because of ratio spread. Nissan's old CVT and Subaru's CVT have a ratio spread of about 6:1, that's roughly equivalent to a 6-speed auto transmission. In Honda's CVT, the ratio spread is 6.5:1, and in Nissan's current CVT it's 7:1. But ZF's 9-speed and Honda's 10-speed autos have a ratio spread of 9.8:1, which is wide enough that there is no need to compromise performance off the line in favor of highway fuel economy or vice versa.

If Mazda goes 7-10 speed automatic, key is to get the ratios right along with "its brains".

Don't like gearboxes that are constantly confused as to what gear it should be in

If Mazda goes 7-10 speed automatic, key is to get the ratios right along with "its brains".

Don't like gearboxes that are constantly confused as to what gear it should be in

Mazda's skyactiv transmission is very well tuned. based on what we've seen from the brand so far, they are certainly capable of building a close ratio transmission that won't hunt for gears.

Mazda's skyactiv transmission is very well tuned. based on what we've seen from the brand so far, they are certainly capable of building a close ratio transmission that won't hunt for gears.
(iagree) and hope so

I agree the current transmission is very well tuned. I especially love the fact that they keep the torque converter locked up most of the time once you're rolling. It takes the slush out of slushbox. It took a few years for other manufacturers to follow suit. I also appreciate its willingness to downshift, which is important with naturally aspirated engines that don't make any torque at cruising RPM.

The ideal would be to add more ratios including a lower first gear and taller top gear, but tune it such that it behaves the same as the current 6-speed. They could drop a few tenths in 0-60/0-100 and gain 1-2 MPG on the highway. I believe Mazda can do this, it's just a matter of when.

Since the SkyActiv X is coming, my guess is they might go with 7-10 speed for that and leave the 6 speed for the current engine as I believe it will continue in some form

Since the SkyActiv X is coming, my guess is they might go with 7-10 speed for that and leave the 6 speed for the current engine as I believe it will continue in some form

read this here:
https://blog.caranddriver.com/mazdas-gasoline-skyactiv-x-spcci-engine-explained/

specifically:
It’s simply more efficient over a wider range of speeds and loads, because it can run in its modified CI mode.
The implications for Mazda’s corporate emphasis on driving fun abound. Engineers tell us that gear ratios have much less of an effect on the X’s efficiency than on the G’s, allowing for shorter gear ratios that enhance responsiveness while simultaneously encouraging the engine to stay in efficient CI mode with lower loads.

Thanks you.

So similar ratios and gear number on SkyActiv X.

As for SkyActiv G, since it will continue AFAIK, they need to justify if it worth upgrading the current 6 speed auto

Now if they'd just commit to offering manuals in every model and not just base trim... Zoom, Zoom / Driving Matters Mazda...

Now if they'd just commit to offering manuals in every model and not just base trim... Zoom, Zoom / Driving Matters Mazda...

They won't since the uptake is too small which probably doesn't justify the costs

They won't since the uptake is too small which probably doesn't justify the costs

Don't rain on my parade! :p

I actually think this could be one of Mazda's 'weaknesses'. You look at a similar company like Subaru and they've done well by embracing the fringe, embracing being different (though they are progressively moving mainstream as they've built market share).

Mazda needs to get their diesel to North America, keep designing some of the best looking vehicles out there, and embrace fringe drivers that like things like wagons and manual transmissions etc.

Eat up all the market share VW lost from TDI fanatics, support us loons who like wagons, the enthusiasts who want manuals, the affordable sports car junkies that have made the Miata the best selling sports car in history. Embrace your core strengths.

Back