Mazda says "no" to CVTs

Don't rain on my parade! :p

I actually think this could be one of Mazda's 'weaknesses'. You look at a similar company like Subaru and they've done well by embracing the fringe, embracing being different (though they are progressively moving mainstream as they've built market share).

Mazda needs to get their diesel to North America, keep designing some of the best looking vehicles out there, and embrace fringe drivers that like things like wagons and manual transmissions etc.

Eat up all the market share VW lost from TDI fanatics, support us loons who like wagons, the enthusiasts who want manuals, the affordable sports car junkies that have made the Miata the best selling sports car in history. Embrace your core strengths.

No raining at all (lol)

Subaru embraces the fringe but they don't sell many cars here. So that's not a good solution

Since Mazda is a small independent(ish) company, they can't do everything they want and the lack of manual availability is probably related to this

No raining at all (lol)

Subaru embraces the fringe but they don't sell many cars here. So that's not a good solution

Since Mazda is a small independent(ish) company, they can't do everything they want and the lack of manual availability is probably related to this

Subaru sells a lot here in North America. So it appears to be here.

Subaru sells a lot here in North America. So it appears to be here.

Your market in general is bigger.

Over here Mazda is number 2 brand behind Toyota but the sales volume is still smallish

Your market in general is bigger.

Over here Mazda is number 2 brand behind Toyota but the sales volume is still smallish

While Subaru's 3.5% USA market share is still relatively small, it's twice Mazda's 1.7%.

IMO, embracing their core/fringe drivers would close that gap.

Maybe but I have my doubts....

Good luck to them if they decide to do this

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to my next car. The EPA/CARB seem to be doing everything in their power to delay the CX5 diesel...and I get a bit sad every time I drive my wife's manual 3 (or even my decidedly less sporty manual SX4) about being forced to drive a freaking automatic because I want something a little bigger, that can tow and maybe has AWD.

It's so frustrating how limited in selection we are here in North America
icon_rant.gif

I'm still at a bit of a loss as to my next car. The EPA/CARB seem to be doing everything in their power to delay the CX5 diesel...and I get a bit sad every time I drive my wife's manual 3 (or even my decidedly less sporty manual SX4) about being forced to drive a freaking automatic because I want something a little bigger, that can tow and maybe has AWD.

It's so frustrating how limited in selection we are here in North America
icon_rant.gif

If you are not in a rush, wait a bit longer and maybe the diesel will be released soonish

Back