Mazda says "no" to CVTs

Because Mazda says about their own 6 speed auto:

"The 6-speed automatic transmission combines the best attributes of conventional automatic, continuously variable and dual clutch transmissions while a new gear shift control predicts operating intentions."

And I am glad they are not going down CVT path. They are awful transmissions.

And I am glad they are not going down CVT path. They are awful transmissions.
X2..
When I started down the path of vehicle replacement earlier this year, the number one criteria was no CVT.
Having owned Nissans, I saw what those things did to a once great car maker. (and yes, I'm aware that the Altima sells well, but if you take away the rental fleet sales in say, Florida, their numbers would be a lot lower)

You beat me by 5 min:) or an hour I guess oops..anyhow yeah good article why I still really like the brand even if the salesman yesterday had "no clue" a CX-5 diesel was in the works nor could he tell me what the diff between grand touring and grand select was (that was more to test him) and sho nuff he failed miserably...but he was all about selling me a 2017 up until I said I don't negotiate in monthly payments.

Last edited:
Wife drives a Mazda 3 hatch 2014 that I got after researching CVT's that year. My daughter got a CX 5 sport '17 this past June and I do not know what she could be driving today if Mazdas went with CVTs.
I think that Mazda know that they are capitalizing on the market, keeping auto transmission as many owners of Nissan, Hondas and other brands as well, who experienced CVTs failures do not want repeat the headache and staying away from it.

Good for Mazda. During this round of car shopping I crossed off every car with a CVT after the first 5mins of the test drive.

One of the biggest reasons I picked the CX-5 was the transmission. It’s the best I’ve ever driven.

Strongly agreed, Mazdas transmission tuning has improved dramatically. Its almost as good as BMWs 8 speed.

You mean ZFs but agreed

The ZF is problematic and hunts for gears, shifts slowly in a Chrysler but is very reliable and smart-shifting in a BMW. Its all about the way its tuned, so I call it BMWs transmission.

Manufacturers who fit a CVT to a car sends me a very clear message: their car is soul-less and they are selling an appliance, not a driving experience to be enjoyed.

Not for this little wood duck, thanks very much.

The reason manufacturers are choosing CVTs is because they have a duty to reduce emissions and an engine is easier to fine tune if you can predict the rev range. It’s about taking the weak link out and just like a hybrid or electric, there is no ambition to do anything other than have a stop/go accelerator. I think we are lucky to be offered such a well sorted auto and really enjoy mine but the fact that you can kick it down and can manual shift it could eventually be it’s downfall. They will eventually be forced to take more and more control over the weak link.

Incidentally, when I first bought a mazda auto I initially thought it was as good as a Merc or BMW but I was kidding myself. The Merc box is perfect and the BMW close second. Our Skyactive transmission is nevertheless very good.

Manufacturers who fit a CVT to a car sends me a very clear message: their car is soul-less and they are selling an appliance, not a driving experience to be enjoyed.

Not for this little wood duck, thanks very much.

Basically....

tenor.gif

The more I drive my CX5, the more I think I'd appreciate a 7 or 8 speed in it. That said, the 6A is EXTREMELY competent, especially considering what it's in!

The more I drive my CX5, the more I think I'd appreciate a 7 or 8 speed in it. That said, the 6A is EXTREMELY competent, especially considering what it's in!
Totally agree! Additional 1 or 2 gears for its SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission is long over-due. This’s not only good to improve EPA fuel economy ratings, but also good for marketing to match most others especially in luxury vehicle segment.

The diesel could easily use at least another gear to improve high speed MPG, around town or locally 6 is plenty.
Most of my driving is locally under 60 mph, so its not a big issue for me, if my useage was mainly motorway the car wouldn't be replaced with another 6 speed.

Mathematically the CVT should be the ideal AT for an internal combustion engine. I feel the resistance to the CVT was initiated by the first production efforts and the reliability issues. We drivers, are a stubborn group when it comes to any changes or something we perceive as negative without any data. I think the modern CVT has a great future because of high efficiency and performance. Ed

In the UK the xtrail has a CVT.
When i researched it the "new" version can simulate 8 gears, and apparanty out performs a convention auto from a standstil due to not losing revs during a gear change.

Mathematically the CVT should be the ideal AT for an internal combustion engine. I feel the resistance to the CVT was initiated by the first production efforts and the reliability issues. We drivers, are a stubborn group when it comes to any changes or something we perceive as negative without any data. I think the modern CVT has a great future because of high efficiency and performance. Ed

Agreed. The same happened switching manual to automatic ⋯

Back