Thread: Backup lights too dim

Registered Member

2016 CX5 sport 2.0 Manual

Backup lights too dim

I have a CX-5 sport without a backup cam. The backup lights aren't bright enough to see anything behind me and I really don't trust backing up at night. Any recommends on either new backup lights (led, xenon...), or should I just bite the bullet and get a backup cam with some led lights in it? I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&ie=UTF8&psc=1
    or these - I prefer a name brand...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They definitely appear whiter, but in some of the pics, they aren't any brighter.
    Last edited by cbslc; 12-05-2017 at 10:39 PM.

Registered Member

CX 5

Hi cbsic,
    I read that Diode Dynamics, has very good LED bulbs for backing up and also for license plate and they are not expensive. They also have a interior kit replacement for maps and ceiling lights.

2016.5 CX-5 Sport

I have those Phillips bulbs installed in ours and I've been happy. It's definitely a whiter light that it gives off, but I'm not so sure that it's all that much brighter. They are a bit brighter, but likely not enough to make a drastic difference.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Backup lights too dim

If you’re really concerned on night vision during the back-up, you should go for a good quality after-market back-up camera. The back-up camera will save your expenses even just avoided one incident. I wouldn’t want a vehicle without it nowadays.

Since there’s no true built-in reflector so the function of the back-up lights are limited to see the road, but rather just let other drivers to see you backing up. As mentioned above, those LEDs for back-up lights won’t help you too much to see the raid backing up in the dark.

Registered Member

2016 CX5 sport 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If you’re really concerned on night vision during the back-up, you should go for a good quality after-market back-up camera. The back-up camera will save your expenses even just avoided one incident. I wouldn’t want a vehicle without it nowadays.

Since there’s no true built-in reflector so the function of the back-up lights are limited to see the road, but rather just let other drivers to see you backing up. As mentioned above, those LEDs for back-up lights won’t help you too much to see the raid backing up in the dark.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Now to try to find a decent backup camera. I hate that all I can find are non-known brands. LeeKooLuu, Auto-Vox, Chuanganzhuo, Esky... When Pyle is the only brand I recognize in the bunch, I worry about reliability!
    I guess my next question - any recommends for a decent backup camera??