2018 CX-9 GT Road Noise - Crosspost from Tires, Suspension Section,

A little shocked. My new 2018 Signature demonstrated itself to be even more quiet than my 2017 Signature, I just traded-in. One of the first things I noticed was the quietness. Sounds like it could be a tire issue. Both of mine came with the Falken spec.

Also, check your tire pressure all the way around. My dealer delivered with 71psi in one of the tires and none of them were under 52psi after their so-called "PDI."

Still working on this.

The dealership had the car for a couple of days but was "unable to reproduce the sound." I'm skeptical that they took in on the highway at all - mostly because I left them with 20 miles of range and got it back with 15. And because the noise starts immediately.

Does the car do anything funky at 60 - adaptive this or that? I've never heard it below 60 - not even 58, 59.

Still loving the car otherwise!

Hi,

New Mazda owner here

Very happy so far - still figuring some stuff out, but am concerned about tire/road noise. I'm coming from a 2011 Pilot that was very, very loud and chose the CX-9, in part, because it was reported to be very quiet. The Pilot was on Michelin MXV4 tires, which were quiet enough not be heard over the road noise

And it is - mostly. Took it on a rode trip to kick everything off and was surprised by how much tire/road noise there is on the highway.

It's much like regular tire hum, but much higher pitched. Occurs at highway speeds only, and I can hear it over the radio when driving alone. When driving with the radio off it's quite distracting.

I'm on the Duelers and the sound is intermittent - but only because it doesn't stop happening very often.

Any thoughts? I searched this forum, and others, and see no mention of it. Believe it or not, I'm actually hoping something it wrong so it can be fixed.

Are the Dueler's unidirectional? The tires my Pilot came with were, and the idiots had put them on backwards....

Help, and thank you in advance!

Still working on this.

The dealership had the car for a couple of days but was "unable to reproduce the sound." I'm skeptical that they took in on the highway at all - mostly because I left them with 20 miles of range and got it back with 15. And because the noise starts immediately.

Does the car do anything funky at 60 - adaptive this or that? I've never heard it below 60 - not even 58, 59.

Still loving the car otherwise!

The mid level Dueler Tires have lost their quality as mid-size vehicle carriers and more than a few people are complaining about them. Duelers making too much noise is not uncommon. In all honesty, I really think Mazda got it right when they paired the Falken Ziex with the CX-9's new suspension and chassis arrangement. I'll be 'looking' for a higher performance tire this year, but I won't be unhappy at all if I don't find something that works better than these Falken tires.

It is a really good set-up for what the vehicle was designed to be and do. Not to mention, it is a very quiet arrangement for me on both freeways and streets. However, I do like to push my Signature into and out of the corners when I'm alone in the mountains and canyons - and this tire does the job there, too. So, I have absolutely zero complaints about these tires because they do so many things very well, not just one thing.

I'm driving around in heavy rain for the first time on these tires and I've got oodles of grip, even through standing water that would hydroplane most other vehicles I've owned. The CX-9 Signature simply owns the water with its AWD and Falken combo.

Try the Falken. It might be a pain to have to switch this early, but I think it will solve the problem. Duelers and the CX-9? I don't know why the dealer would put those on that vehicle, or whether Mazda shipped it to them that way.

Last edited:
The mid level Dueler Tires have lost their quality as mid-size vehicle carriers and more than a few people are complaining about them. Duelers making too much noise is not uncommon. In all honesty, I really think Mazda got it right when they paired the Falken Ziex with the CX-9's new suspension and chassis arrangement. I'll be 'looking' for a higher performance tire this year, but I won't be unhappy at all if I don't find something that works better than these Falken tires.

It is a really good set-up for what the vehicle was designed to be and do. Not to mention, it is a very quiet arrangement for me on both freeways and streets. However, I do like to push my Signature into and out of the corners when I'm alone in the mountains and canyons - and this tire does the job there, too. So, I have absolutely zero complaints about these tires because they do so many things very well, not just one thing.

I'm driving around in heavy rain for the first time on these tires and I've got oodles of grip, even through standing water that would hydroplane most other vehicles I've owned. The CX-9 Signature simply owns the water with its AWD and Falken combo.

Try the Falken. It might be a pain to have to switch this early, but I think it will solve the problem. Duelers and the CX-9? I don't know why the dealer would put those on that vehicle, or whether Mazda shipped it to them that way.

I really don't think the sound is coming from the tires - it's localized to left front, is far too intermittent and comes with a slight vibration. The car also pulls inexorably to the left, so I think something in the drive train is dragging.

The Duelers are pretty crappy in the snow and rain so far, but I don't think there is anyway the dealer would switch them out for me without me having to pay for them and there is no way I'm dropping a grand on new tires on a new car :)

Hey Matt, sorry to hear you're still dealing with this. My car came with Bridgestone Ecopia tires for some reason.. probably because I'm in Canada or something. Anyway, here's what I would try:

Check PSI on all tires, set to 34 PSI
Check all lugnuts to ensure that they are all tightened correctly

Test drive. If the issue persists:

Take it to the dealer, and reciprocate the issue with a tech in the car while you drive. Be descriptive when explaining the issue, and ensure the tech takes notes.
Have them run whatever tests they need to. I would guess that they would try balancing all wheels, then perform a wheel alignment/inspection, then inspect suspension components like the wheel hub, wheel bearings, tie rods, etc.

After that, if the issue persists, I would suggest that the dealer try swapping out your front driver's side wheel and tire with the wheel/tire from one of their demo units. Take it for a test drive with a tech in the car. This could rule out the possibility of a manufacturer defect in your tire.

After that, I'm really not sure what I would do. But if you haven't already, try the suggestions above, and if you encounter any dealer pushback, threaten to go to Mazda Corporate.

I really don't think the sound is coming from the tires - it's localized to left front, is far too intermittent and comes with a slight vibration. The car also pulls inexorably to the left, so I think something in the drive train is dragging.

The Duelers are pretty crappy in the snow and rain so far, but I don't think there is anyway the dealer would switch them out for me without me having to pay for them and there is no way I'm dropping a grand on new tires on a new car :)

Pulls to the left? Check PSI all the way around. Drop to 34 on each corner, then test drive. During test drive, turn on/off Lane Keep Assist. Drive with it "on" for a period and then with it "off" for a period on the freeway at normal speeds, if possible. Does it "pull to the left" when Lane Keep Assist (LAS) is "on"/"off"?

As far as the sound is concerned, the fact that you report it coming from the same "left" side is troublesome in my mind and warrants a mechanical investigation. As you know, I dread ever having to take any vehicle of mine to the dealer, but that's just my own personal bias against most Dealerships, given my experience with them in the past. If the above gives you no relief, or helps you better isolate the symptom(s), then it might be time to visit a good dealer, if there is such an exotic creature where you live.

And, as sm1ke suggests - double check all four wheels for lugs. These so-called "PDI" checks that most dealers are supposed to do, are often filled with highly bizarre and inconsistent slugs just waiting to cause you panic for no good reason. Double check the lugs just as a sanity check and place both hands on the top side of each tire and shake, by trying to move the tire/wheel. You should not hear any knocking nor feel any knock or play.

The new 2016 design came with EPAS (Electronic Power Assist Steering). My old 2017 Signature had an annoying tendency to ever so slightly pull to the right - but not always. I spent weeks evaluating it under many different road conditions and summed it up to a combination of EPAS and the slope of the road. Many streets are sloped down and to the right for drainage purposes (run-off). Certain highways are also sloped down and to the right. Other highways are not. Other highways have directional traction grooves (Diamond Grinding) that also serve to extend the longevity of the surface itself. I had more trouble replicating than I did with the issue itself, because of all the variations in road conditions.

EPAS, however, combined with LAS could be the culprit here, but that's just an uneducated shot in the dark. I'm thinking about how both systems must work together from a mechanical, electronic and logic standpoint. I spoke with a Mazda Mechanic and asked whether or not EPAS was tune-able and if it could be optimized to dial-in left or right bias for any number of reasons. He said, no. Whether his information to me was correct or not, these two systems (EPAS and LAS) have to either talk directly to each other, or their inputs must be logically mediated somewhere through an on-board ECU.

The EPAS must be both speed and force sensitive/aware. In other words, it needs to be able to detect the amount of rotational force you apply to the steering wheel as the driver and the actual speed of the vehicle, in order to determine how much "assist" is necessary. I don't see how those inputs would not be taken into consideration once the LAS engages and moves the steering wheel on its own. This is why I say, run the test with LAS "on" and then "off" for a period of time while driving on the freeway, to see if you can replicate under those conditions before heading to the dealer. If confirmed, at least you would have more information to give to your dealer's Tech.

BTW - LAS also comes with a "slight vibration" if you configure it that way under Vehicle Settings in the CMU. Though, I'm pretty sure you know the difference between the LAS Warning and an audible noise coming from underneath the left front corner of your vehicle while driving. However, I'm just trying to cover the obvious bases because you did not indicate whether or not you had tested this with LAS "on" or "off," nor did you indicate how you configured your LAS warnings.

Last edited:
Pulls to the left? Check PSI all the way around. Drop to 34 on each corner, then test drive. During test drive, turn on/off Lane Keep Assist. Drive with it "on" for a period and then with it "off" for a period on the freeway at normal speeds, if possible. Does it "pull to the left" when Lane Keep Assist (LAS) is "on"/"off"?

As far as the sound is concerned, the fact that you report it coming from the same "left" side is troublesome in my mind and warrants a mechanical investigation. As you know, I dread ever having to take any vehicle of mine to the dealer, but that's just my own personal bias against most Dealerships, given my experience with them in the past. If the above gives you no relief, or helps you better isolate the symptom(s), then it might be time to visit a good dealer, if there is such an exotic creature where you live.

And, as sm1ke suggests - double check all four wheels for lugs. These so-called "PDI" checks that most dealers are supposed to do, are often filled with highly bizarre and inconsistent slugs just waiting to cause you panic for no good reason. Double check the lugs just as a sanity check and place both hands on the top side of each tire and shake, by trying to move the tire/wheel. You should not hear any knocking nor feel any knock or play.

The new 2016 design came with EPAS (Electronic Power Assist Steering). My old 2017 Signature had an annoying tendency to ever so slightly pull to the right - but not always. I spent weeks evaluating it under many different road conditions and summed it up to a combination of EPAS and the slope of the road. Many streets are sloped down and to the right for drainage purposes (run-off). Certain highways are also sloped down and to the right. Other highways are not. Other highways have directional traction grooves (Diamond Grinding) that also serve to extend the longevity of the surface itself. I had more trouble replicating than I did with the issue itself, because of all the variations in road conditions.

EPAS, however, combined with LAS could be the culprit here, but that's just an uneducated shot in the dark. I'm thinking about how both systems must work together from a mechanical, electronic and logic standpoint. I spoke with a Mazda Mechanic and asked whether or not EPAS was tune-able and if it could be optimized to dial-in left or right bias for any number of reasons. He said, no. Whether his information to me was correct or not, these two systems (EPAS and LAS) have to either talk directly to each other, or their inputs must be logically mediated somewhere through an on-board ECU.

The EPAS must be both speed and force sensitive/aware. In other words, it needs to be able to detect the amount of rotational force you apply to the steering wheel as the driver and the actual speed of the vehicle, in order to determine how much "assist" is necessary. I don't see how those inputs would not be taken into consideration once the LAS engages and moves the steering wheel on its own. This is why I say, run the test with LAS "on" and then "off" for a period of time while driving on the freeway, to see if you can replicate under those conditions before heading to the dealer. If confirmed, at least you would have more information to give to your dealer's Tech.

BTW - LAS also comes with a "slight vibration" if you configure it that way under Vehicle Settings in the CMU. Though, I'm pretty sure you know the difference between the LAS Warning and an audible noise coming from underneath the left front corner of your vehicle while driving. However, I'm just trying to cover the obvious bases because you did not indicate whether or not you had tested this with LAS "on" or "off," nor did you indicate how you configured your LAS warnings.

Hi - thanks for the input!

I've double checked tire pressure - and lowered to 34 all around. I think they were delivered at over 50....

The noise, vibration, and pull (NVP) occur at 60 and above and occur both with all electronic gizmos on AND off (LKAS, cruise, radio, HVAC).

The NVP occur from 60 - 90mph (maybe higher :)), on asphalt and concrete highways with varying degrees of crown to shed water. Uphill, downhill, turning left and right, accelerating, coasting, while using cruise control (and not). I've got 2,400 miles on the car and there is no consistent pattern for when it does and does not occur.

My fuel mileage sucks too - a shade under 19 mpg. My commute sucks - 60+ minutes to cover 17 miles each way - and I fully admit to having a horrible lead foot. But that seems low to me as well.....

I'm not a fan of dealerships in general, but they seem to be more than willing to work with me. The dealership is near my house, so finding time that I can get there while the highways isn't clogged with traffic is a PITA. They've said I can call anytime to come over and take a ride with a technician.

...my Mazda came OEM from the factory with Yokohama's...

You lucky dog. That's like an "upgrade option" all by itself. I may have to go with the Yoks, when its time. Still deciding, but I like your experience with them.

Starting with the easy stuff: Low Hanging Fruit

The noise, vibration, and pull (NVP) occur at 60 and above and occur both with all electronic gizmos on AND off (LKAS, cruise, radio, HVAC).

I've got 2,400 miles on the car and there is no consistent pattern for when it does and does not occur.

That's interesting. I don't expect HVAC to be at issue here, however. "60 and above" starts to resemble a possible Wheel Balance problem (trying to find an easy fix for ya here). An Alignment issue is something I would expect symptoms to persist down through lower speeds as well and not merely show up at or above 60. Again, indicative of a Wheel Balance problem. Vibration coming from a tire is by definition cyclic and subject to rotational speeds and could become "harmonic" at or within a particular speed range. For you, that might translate to what you feel or hear as a higher rate of cycles per second coming form the out of balance condition.

Let's hope it is this easy.

If I had this problem, the first thing I'd do (based on your description of the issue thus far) is simple Tire Rotation. REMEMBER: You have an AWD vehicle. So, I'd rack the vehicle, move the rears straight to the front without crossing and then cross the fronts as I move them to the rear (checking for OEM installed balancing weights on the inside of each wheel). If you notice weights missing, that's something to treat before you remount and test drive. Standard AWD or Rear Drive Tire Rotation Pattern 101.

If all the weights are present and accounted for, the rotation will place the suspect wheel and its tire on the Right Rear corner of the vehicle (following the tire rotation pattern above). If the vibration shifts to the right rear, then I've likely found the problem and will use the DIY shop's Tire Balancer and sticky weights to correct - then test drive to verify (you may have to learn how to use a Tire Balancer - no big deal at all). If that does not solve the problem and I still had vibration coming from that left front corner, then it is highly unlikely to be an issue with tires or wheels and more likely a problem originating somewhere from as low as the nut plate to as high as the strut assembly top nut. Anything along that path could be causing this problem and that includes all of the left front corner suspension and drive components. That was the low hanging fruit. From here it gets slightly more interesting and the DIY skill sets requires increase slightly as well.

Digging Deeper:

For the more difficult to get to fruit, vibrations of this kind could also come from the Engine itself. Specifically, Engine Mounts near the left side. Check that. But, I'm doubting that's the case here based on how you describe the problem.

Commonly, vibrations of this kind are being emitted from somewhere in the CV Joint Assembly (Inner and Outer), Drive Shaft Assembly and/or Control Arm Assembly (anything loose?). If you rack the vehicle, the first thing I would check is the Drive Shaft (Left Side) by hand. Try to rotate the Shaft back and forth by hand. Is there excessive play in the Shaft (tolerance should be fairly tight)? Is there oil leaking onto the Shaft or CV Boot? As you rotate the Shaft by hand back and forth, do you hear noises coming from inside the CV Boot itself?. If you detect excessive play in the Shaft coupled to grinding or clacking noise coming from the CV Joint, that problem needs to be solved - then test drive to verify.

A quick check on the Outer CV can be done in a parking lot with sufficient space. Roll down your windows - all 4. Turn steering wheel to one side until it locks-out and slowly allow vehicle to make its turn. Do you hear a ticking noise coming from the Left Front Corner? Turn steering wheel to the other side and check for the same. The Inner CV is typically a problem on firm acceleration usually resulting in vibration on the side with the bad CV. A bad Inner CV can also have fleeting symptoms (sporadic or inconsistent) depending on severity of failure and degree of acceleration. This could be why you experience symptoms inconsistently (you are not always accelerating the vehicle up to 60 mph). These should be repairs that any Intermediate skill level could do with the right support (correct parts, facility, tools, equipment, etc.).

As always, you want a reliable (current) source for good parts identification when doing any DIY repairs. Failing this self-diagnosis and the ability (facilities, tools, equipment, etc.) to fix, I'd be headed to the dealer. However, I would not be happy about it.

I'm not a fan of dealerships in general, but they seem to be more than willing to work with me. The dealership is near my house, so finding time that I can get there while the highways isn't clogged with traffic is a PITA. They've said I can call anytime to come over and take a ride with a technician.

I you have a competent, friendly, helpful dealer who abides by the principle "First, Do No Harm," then you've got yourself a real ally there. You should enjoy every minute of time you spend with that kind of dealer. A real gem, if you can find one like that. However, for me, I have no such option readily available where I live.

Last edited:
You lucky dog. That's like an "upgrade option" all by itself. I may have to go with the Yoks, when its time. Still deciding, but I like your experience with them.

hell yea! It's a 2015 Mazda 6. the 17" wheels for the lowest and mid trim came with Yokohama Advan A83a, a very high performing tire for OEM equipment. the 19" GT models came with dunlops.

I love these tires. My dad is the primary driver for our Mazda, he knows almost nothing about cars but the one thing he did notice about the yokohama's is the incredible grip the provide in the rain, and he was completely sold when it was time for new tires. the tire is quite noisy on the highway, but it doesnt bother me because the steering response is satisfyingly sharp and tactile and it corners over wet pavement as if it didn't even rain, the grip is atrocious. the treadwear is very reasonable and the ride is nice and comfy. I have yokohama winter tires on my BMW and those have served me well the past two winters here in toronto. very good tires.

Just an update....

Went on an extended drive with a service technician this past Friday - he was introduced to me as their best "bump, thump, and whistle" guy.

Took a 20 minute drive and the good news is that the noise did show up and he did hear it - said "I hear it, it's not normal, but I have no idea what the bleep it is...."

He told me they have a system of remote microphones they can place around the car to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from, but he said I should expect that the repair is going to take some time.

We'll see....

Just an update....

Went on an extended drive with a service technician this past Friday - he was introduced to me as their best "bump, thump, and whistle" guy.

With an introduction like that...

Took a 20 minute drive

Hmmmm. I'm just sitting here trying to think of the last time I had a full 20 minute drive with a Tech. Its been quite a while. Congrats on getting that much seat time with the Tech.

...and the good news is that the noise did show up and he did hear it - said "I hear it, it's not normal, but I have no idea what the bleep it is...."

So, in effect - he was able to "replicate" without initial prognosis.

He told me they have a system of remote microphones they can place around the car to try and narrow down where the noise is coming from, but he said I should expect that the repair is going to take some time.

Sounds like a set up for a grand fishing expedition.

AWLMX7KcQTQXkCBCXWe2zXkGBZTJFB.png

We'll see....

Really sorry to hear this. I was hoping it would be some lower hanging fruit, or something you could deal with on your own. And, he was introduced as their best acoustics Tech, too. That's not particularly promising when your best 'sound man' basically says he has no clues up front. You must be dealing with a very strange vibration - not just in origin, but in acoustical signature as well.

The fact of the matter is that it cannot be just any causation, because it does have a known point of origin which can be isolated to at least 1/4 of the vehicle (the left front corner). Something tells me that once this Tech, goes through his prelim checks and starts the real troubleshooting that he'll find the culprit in one of the items I've listed above. If not that and the problem persists, it will more than likely end up being a non-mechanical malfunction associated with an OEM assembly misfit or mis-spec in two or more connected components related to some local position near the front left corner.

You need somebody with good mechanical intuition and excellent ears on this one. With things that go bump in the night (so to speak), it is often times the Mechanic with an unusual degree of intuition who ultimately finds the goose that lays the golden egg. Said another way, a good Systems Thinker who understands how chassis/body and suspension are designed to work together, can often times provide the best answers.

All the best with this one and I hope it does not devolve into just another mindless Parts Swap Meet after a failed Fishing Expedition. Try to get a guy/gal who understands Systems - not merely how individual components work in isolation. It is the very thing that distinguishes a great Mechanic from a mediocre Mechanic - being able to connect dots system wide.

With an introduction like that...

Hmmmm. I'm just sitting here trying to think of the last time I had a full 20 minute drive with a Tech. Its been quite a while. Congrats on getting that much seat time with the Tech.

So, in effect - he was able to "replicate" without initial prognosis.

Sounds like a set up for a grand fishing expedition.

AWLMX7KcQTQXkCBCXWe2zXkGBZTJFB.png

Really sorry to hear this. I was hoping it would be some lower hanging fruit, or something you could deal with on your own. And, he was introduced as their best acoustics Tech, too. That's not particularly promising when your best 'sound man' basically says he has no clues up front. You must be dealing with a very strange vibration - not just in origin, but in acoustical signature as well.

The fact of the matter is that it cannot be just any causation, because it does have a known point of origin which can be isolated to at least 1/4 of the vehicle (the left front corner). Something tells me that once this Tech, goes through his prelim checks and starts the real troubleshooting that he'll find the culprit in one of the items I've listed above. If not that and the problem persists, it will more than likely end up being a non-mechanical malfunction associated with an OEM assembly misfit or mis-spec in two or more connected components related to some local position near the front left corner.

You need somebody with good mechanical intuition and excellent ears on this one. With things that go bump in the night (so to speak), it is often times the Mechanic with an unusual degree of intuition who ultimately finds the goose that lays the golden egg. Said another way, a good Systems Thinker who understands how chassis/body and suspension are designed to work together, can often times provide the best answers.

All the best with this one and I hope it does not devolve into just another mindless Parts Swap Meet after a failed Fishing Expedition. Try to get a guy/gal who understands Systems - not merely how individual components work in isolation. It is the very thing that distinguishes a great Mechanic from a mediocre Mechanic - being able to connect dots system wide.

At this point, I have to give Mazda credit due.

Everyone has been accommodating and more than willing to spend the time to try and address it.

I'm keeping records and I'm going to keep working with them. But if there's no resolution with it, I'm going to kick off the lemon law process. Between the noise level and the pull, it's definitely something that would cost me $$ on a potential resale and it drives me absolutely bonkers.

OK, adding some more information...

I took delivery of this at the very beginning of December, when it was still pretty warm here. Early on in my trouble shooting, and after temps had dropped 20 - 30 degrees, I checked tire pressure and found it close to 45 PSI. Nice.

At around the same time as they tried to identify the noise, I dropped the PSI down to 36.

After the car tried to kill me in the snow the other day - that thing is one twitchy SOB - I dropped PSI down to 32. Low and behold the noise is much quieter and occurs less frequently.

Thoughts on how I approach this with the dealer? I'd *really* like to get into a pair of Falkens or something because the car is outright dangerous in the snow right now. I don't think asking nicely is going to do it......

Here's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Present my concerns to the dealer, citing my recent experience in the snow and other's favourable experiences with different tires. I would then ask my dealer to go to bat for me with Mazda Corporate. If they refuse, I would threaten to contact Mazda Corporate on my own, and if they don't cave, I would contact Mazda Corporate and see what they can do.

Unfortunately, unless they've received multiple complaints about the tires on the CX-9, it's not likely that you'll be able to get them to do anything outside of a goodwill resolution.

OK, adding some more information...

I took delivery of this at the very beginning of December, when it was still pretty warm here. Early on in my trouble shooting, and after temps had dropped 20 - 30 degrees, I checked tire pressure and found it close to 45 PSI. Nice.

At around the same time as they tried to identify the noise, I dropped the PSI down to 36.

After the car tried to kill me in the snow the other day - that thing is one twitchy SOB - I dropped PSI down to 32. Low and behold the noise is much quieter and occurs less frequently.

Thoughts on how I approach this with the dealer? I'd *really* like to get into a pair of Falkens or something because the car is outright dangerous in the snow right now. I don't think asking nicely is going to do it......

When I took delivery of my brand new '17 Sig trim same issue with 45psi tires which I was surprised as the PDI should've adjusted that! Unfortunately only noticed it 3wks after as I found ride to be firm (but no noise heard on suspension). I already noticed that the Falkens weren't good in ice/snow vs my prev Volvo SUV that had winter rated tires so last fall I just removed the Falkens and replaced with Nokian all-weather tires w/c are winter rated. Definitely felt more confident driving on ice/snow as it had better grip and traction. My Falkens (driven for only 8K Kms) now sitting in my garage. Unlikely your dealer will do anything for you as all vehicles come equipped with all-season tires and not the properly equipped tires for this winter season. Maybe something for the inconvenience but highly unlikely...

Mazda inflates the s*** out of the tires like that so they dont get any flat spots during the boat ride from Japan.

Not sure exactly which falkens the CX-9 has, but I liked the ones on my Nissan. The tread was practically nonexistent but they still gripped pretty damn well even in heavy rain.

You guys cant just start to blame the car for almost killing you for choosing to drive in the snow with all season tires. That would be the drivers fault, not the cars..

Mazda inflates the s*** out of the tires like that so they dont get any flat spots during the boat ride from Japan.

Not sure exactly which falkens the CX-9 has, but I liked the ones on my Nissan. The tread was practically nonexistent but they still gripped pretty damn well even in heavy rain.

You guys cant just start to blame the car for almost killing you for choosing to drive in the snow with all season tires. That would be the drivers fault, not the cars..

Yeah, all due respect, I've got just shy of a quarter of a million miles of driving experience over the last 20 years, practically all of it in New England. I've leased, owned and driven front wheel drive cars, rear wheel drive cars, all wheel drive cars and four wheel drive cars - multiple VW Jettas, Audi A4, Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, BMW 3 and 5 Series, Chevy Suburbans and 1500, Porsche 911, Range Rover Sport, Honda Pilot and now the CX-9.

I'm not claiming to be the personal owner or lessee of all of those vehicles, but I have driven all of them extensively in snow, rain or sleet.

Not one single one of them - other than the 911 - has been as twitchy in the snow as the CX-9. I spun it on an off ramp that I drive every. single. day. I think it is the tires more than the vehicle - particularly because they were still pretty inflated - but I wouldn't be blaming the vehicle for having poor snow performance if I weren't absolutely certain that that it is at least partially responsible for it.

Here's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Present my concerns to the dealer, citing my recent experience in the snow and other's favourable experiences with different tires. I would then ask my dealer to go to bat for me with Mazda Corporate. If they refuse, I would threaten to contact Mazda Corporate on my own, and if they don't cave, I would contact Mazda Corporate and see what they can do.

Unfortunately, unless they've received multiple complaints about the tires on the CX-9, it's not likely that you'll be able to get them to do anything outside of a goodwill resolution.

Yeah, they've responded pretty positively to being nice so far, so I'm going to keep going with that for now!

At a minimum, it's going to be one new tire, I would think.

I can't think of any reason to have a problem with 1 tire having 3k fewer miles than the other 3?

Yeah, they've responded pretty positively to being nice so far, so I'm going to keep going with that for now!

At a minimum, it's going to be one new tire, I would think.

I can't think of any reason to have a problem with 1 tire having 3k fewer miles than the other 3?

I don't think there's any issue with that, given the low mileage. 10-15k is a different story lol. Good luck with the dealership!

Back