Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lathe Rebuild & Refurb

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

Finally made a couple of parts for the race car today

A pair of steering-rack stops to keep the 10" wheels and tires from ramming into rubbed the front sway bar at full lock. It's *usually* just a concern in paddock and grid, but: with the power steering and the faster rack, I really want to make sure we're not smashing hard parts together.

A nice, snug fit on the rack:

~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

muffled screams

I took advantage of having my brother in town this week for Christmas to do a bit more work on this. We cleaned up the shop a bit and re-organized the messy tools area to make room for the newcomer.
    We also made a couple of risers with machine leveling feet to go under the feet on the lathe. With the feet and risers, it's about 3" taller. And with it being already top heavy, I made the feet a few inches wider than the machine's feet to give it a better footprint.

We used the engine hoist to pick up each side to measure for the feet, and managed to find a good balance point to move it across to the other side of the garage. To get it turned to be along the wall, we just used a 2x8 under the lathe bed and muscled it into position.

I'll likely build a bit of a shelf near / around it for tool & accessory storage at some point, but for now the built in cabinet / shelf will do the job.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

Project On Board Tool Storage begins. I got tired of CONSTANTLY fishing around for the lathe chuck key, and for the various wrenches, so now that the major work on getting the lathe running and in place is done, it's time to exorcise a few of the niggles.
    The wrench set I got for the lathe has a nice little holder already, it just needed to be put somewhere more convenient, so I bolted it to 1 side of the cabinet. The missing wrench is the 12mm that basically lives on the tailstock:

The sleeve for the chuck key was turned on the lathe, then I made a bracket and glued it together. No more fishing around for the key

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12