Known PROBLEMS with CX5s?

Is this considered as a thin paint?

Toyota RAV4 V6 2010 Limitted
cache.php

I don’t know what’s gone on with that. It looks like it was badly repainted or something corrosive has dripped from a truck. Those are not stone chips, there’s something we don’t know about that one. It’s a seven year old RAV.

Last edited:
Flaking paint is nothing new, some cars have suffered with that issue in the past.

Now the fanboy notation appears. This is my first Mazda so hardly a fanatic. The thin paint thing has been going on for years. Automakers using cheaper paints and methods. The Chrysler’s of the 90’s that shed paint doesn’t come to mind? GovMo has their problems as well. The naysayers will continue on with their diatribe though.

I like the Sonic Silver though as someone mentioned earlier, it would look much nicer if it was lighter and more towards actual silver. Here the German brands get it it right. Audi comes to mind.

Now the fanboy notation appears. This is my first Mazda so hardly a fanatic. The thin paint thing has been going on for years. Automakers using cheaper paints and methods. The Chrysler’s of the 90’s that shed paint doesn’t come to mind? GovMo has their problems as well. The naysayers will continue on with their diatribe though.

I like the Sonic Silver though as someone mentioned earlier, it would look much nicer if it was lighter and more towards actual silver. Here the German brands get it it right. Audi comes to mind.

The issues with GM and Chrysler were due to new water based formulas being bad, not paint thickness. Technology has by and large fixed poor formulation and the peeling and flaking you bring up. Paint thickness on Asian vehicles is another matter entirely.

Back