Known PROBLEMS with CX5s?

Just going by KBB Trade-in value. This POS is worth less than $10K. MSRP was $26K in 2015. That's just shameful. My Jeep Grand Cherokee with nearly 100K miles on it, 2010 year-model, traded in in late 2015 brought me $17K (I traded it on this CX5, which I got for KBB Private Party Retail), and had a retail of around 37K, IIRC. So it took half a decade to drop to not even as low as this thing, percentage wise, and with significantly more miles to boot. '

Chrysler. Dominating Mazda for residual value. Shameful is what that is.

Around here, Mazda used to be known for rust and other longevity problems. I think those problems are behind them, but their reputation on the used market is still recovering.

Jeeps have always had good resale value and I have no idea why. But the rest of Chrysler, forget it.

I have never had a chip on my CX5 not go straight to bare metal. It's either paint, or metal, on mine, it seems. What year is yours?

I never had a single chip on my CX5 go straight to bare metal. But almost everyone on our CRV is down to bare metal.. and they're all rusting, unlike the CX5.

I never had a single chip on my CX5 go straight to bare metal. But almost everyone on our CRV is down to bare metal.. and they're all rusting, unlike the CX5.

Interesting. My experiences are opposite. I have had to take a knife and scrape rust out of the scratches before using touch-up paint to keep it from rusting. Road salting doesn't happen in t he summer here, either...

Interesting. My experiences are opposite. I have had to take a knife and scrape rust out of the scratches before using touch-up paint to keep it from rusting. Road salting doesn't happen in t he summer here, either...

The CX5 had ~5 times the number of chips, but no rust, eva!

I've had stone chips on both my Nissan, and Mazda cars.

I'm not sure how they can be avoided totally, but reducing speed and maintaining a good gap behind the car in front helps.

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/car-care-blog/detailing/paint/

Mazda. Honda. Toyota. Nissan. All soft.

More data, Mazda paint is stoopid thin.
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/97801-average-paint-thickness.html

This is all common knowledge everywhere but here on this forum. Asian cars have thinner, paint, as a rule.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/97801-average-paint-thickness.html

This is all common knowledge everywhere but here on this forum. Asian cars have thinner, paint, as a rule.

And this is where people often come unstuck trying to analyse data by just looking at information. If you walked into a development centre where skilled technicians are testing vehicles, they would fall about laughing at you. You can trawl the internet and find negatives on any subject or product - just look at the scatter on an Amazon review. I can easily find data saying German car paint is crap yet you put it on a pedestal and prefer to rubbish the paint on a Mazda because you get some sort of kick out of it. This on partly on a sentence on another Internet forum full of opinion where the poster who has polished his car to death reveals the thickness of the paint at that time. We have no further information about whether it’s the original paint or where he was measuring, he might be a complete idiot for all we know.

The paint on an Asian car may be thinner than a German car but until you show me some believable information from a reputable source, I’ll treat these other posters in other forums with the same level of regard as I treat you.

I'll just say this, my wife's 2013 Mazda CX-5 paint has no issues at all, in fact I am amazed how good it looks and how it's held up. My 2017 cx-5 paint has no issues, both vehicles are daily drivers and both have been on many long road trips. Here is a example, My 2015 Cadillac ATS premium that I bought new had the worst paint, just after a few months it was like the front end was sand blasted. The reason I finally bought a Mazda CX-5 for myself was because I was tired of all the different issues I was having from North American vehicles. For the money it's a no brainer owning the new cx-5 compared to a North American vehicle costing many thousands more.

Last edited:
Anyone can google up a link to fit their agenda. Old links just show desperation on the part of the poster.

Btw, Autopia and Autogeek are one and the same, owned by Palm Beach Motoring Group. So research first before trying to push your bias

To be fair to Uno, the Mazda thin paint thing seemed like a pretty well known established fact. This is the first I am seeing people really push back on that idea.

The difference is mine has never chipped so far to cause rust, but damn sure my hood is a mess.

Although my Sonic Silver Metallic paint has no issues so far, but therere quite a few paint complaints in this forum such as:

Well, my 2013 paint has paint chips everywhere on the front bumper, and lesser the hood. More than My Ford escape that I owned for 5 years ever did by a longshot. I don't know about the other model years/paint colors. My paint color is not offered anymore.
I notice the Mazda thin paint quality too. Even with the front bumper covered by 3M the hood still get rock chip very easily.
The touch up pen from Mazda is like water based. Really disappointed with the quality in term of paint.

Or a whole thread:

2016 Signature Snowflake White Pearl paint chipping way too easy

When were purchasing our 2016 CX-5 I inquired why Mazda changed the silver paint from old Liquid Silver Metallic which we prefer, to a darker Sonic Silver Metallic, the sales manager said Mazda is having quality control problem on Liquid Silver Metallic.

Although my Sonic Silver Metallic paint has no issues so far, but there’re quite a few paint complaints in this forum such as:

Or a whole thread:

When we’re purchasing our 2016 CX-5 I inquired why Mazda changed the silver paint from old Liquid Silver Metallic which we prefer, to a darker Sonic Silver Metallic, the sales manager said Mazda is having quality control problem on Liquid Silver Metallic.

Sorry, I don't trust what the sales manager says. It's been my experience that they will say whatever comes to their mind, true or just a guess.

That's odd as my first silver cx-5 looked too grey to me, while the sonic I have now looks more silver, but still not as light as I would like.

Although my Sonic Silver Metallic paint has no issues so far, but there’re quite a few paint complaints in this forum such as:

Or a whole thread:

When we’re purchasing our 2016 CX-5 I inquired why Mazda changed the silver paint from old Liquid Silver Metallic which we prefer, to a darker Sonic Silver Metallic, the sales manager said Mazda is having quality control problem on Liquid Silver Metallic.

Sorry, I don't trust what the sales manager says. It's been my experience that they will say whatever comes to their mind, true or just a guess.

Agreed, a lot of them just want to appear knowledgeable. They would be far more credible if they checked and got back with an answer from head office.

To be fair to Uno, the Mazda thin paint thing seemed like a pretty well known established fact. This is the first I am seeing people really push back on that idea.

The difference is mine has never chipped so far to cause rust, but damn sure my hood is a mess.

There is no convincing a fanboy. They discount your ownership of multiple cars, your time working in the used car industry, and demand hard facts , so you give them paint thickness in mils, taken by different people, years apart, that supports what everyone but them knows, and now "you're just cherrypicking to support an agenda". Sweet lord.

Back