Known PROBLEMS with CX5s?

It's not common. Niether are blown tranny's. Ridiculous.

Bro I just posted 8 threads of blown transmissions and it's not a common issue? Those are just threads using a simple search, no doubt there are even more here at this site, and other Mazda forums as well. Not to mention all the CX-5 owners that don't even post in online forms that have experienced this. Personally there is no way in hell I would spend 30k on a vehicle that has a history of blown transmissions, especially considering Mazda doesn't even offer an extended warranty on their vehicles.

Personally I think this issue would be a far bigger concern than some of the issues the OP mentioned like paint chipping or lack of dealer incentives.

BTW OP, users here have been quoted 5k from Mazda dealers for a replacement transmission.

Edit: Here's another one I just found:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...o-transmission-flare-changing-from-3rd-to-4th

Last edited:
No, bro. It's not common. I'm not going to argue with you and destroy yet another thread.
Seriously, you need a hobby Mr. "I pretended to have a 17 CX-5 so I could say my tranny failed".
/bites tongue...

Bro I just posted 8 threads of blown transmissions and it's not a common issue?

No it isn’t. The first thing somebody does when they get a problem of some sort is too join a forum for advice. Without knowing the failure mode for these examples you have shown it is impossible to conclude anything from them and that will only be known by Mazda. You can search gearbox problems from virtually any brand and they will return loads of hits. Of these Mazda ones you quote, you don’t know if somebody has added the wrong oil (widely discussed that everybody has their favourite other than the proper Mazda oil), been doing burnouts, inadvertent selection of reverse and vice versa, playing with the power output of the engine, towing huge loads....... The list goes on and on. That little list out of god knows how many CX-5s on the road means absolutely nothing. I’m not defending Mazda but I’ve been in the position of trying to collate accurate and meaningful data.

No AA/Car-play. Never ending false promises about them coming soon

Rubbish auto-climate control. Turns on AC during cold winter days and blows crazy hard when it is not needed.

Underwhelming speaker quality even with upgraded bose audio option.

are a few things I can add to what OP pointed out.

Well, it looks like OP's question has been answered multiple times but could someone answer if the issues with the windshield are that bad? Anyone here has a crack windshield? If so, at what kilometers and what causes? Reading from this website https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/ is what concern me alot especially it is not cover by the warranty.

Thanks...

re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

I personally believe the windshield on my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech is weak after 2 experiments Id done. After 2 hail storms none of the vehicles parked near our CX-5 suffered windshield damage but ours broke twice! If you check NHTSA website Mazda CX-5 has overwhelming number of weak windshield complaints. The same complaint happens in other regions such as in Taiwan and Europe.

Hail Storm Test - Involuntary Of Course

Hail Storm Test II - Involuntary Of Course

Only OEM windshield available for my CX-5 which costs almost $700 each with $200 additional for installation.

On the other hand, 2017 CX-5 does have new acoustic windshield which may behave differently. Only time will tell.

No AA/Car-play. Never ending false promises about them coming soon

Rubbish auto-climate control. Turns on AC during cold winter days and blows crazy hard when it is not needed.

Underwhelming speaker quality even with upgraded bose audio option.

are a few things I can add to what OP pointed out.
Yeah those cheap paper cone Bose speakers ⋯

re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

I personally believe the windshield on my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech is weak after 2 “experiments” I’d done. After 2 hail storms none of the vehicles parked near our CX-5 suffered windshield damage but ours broke twice! If you check NHTSA website Mazda CX-5 has overwhelming number of weak windshield complaints. The same complaint happens in other regions such as in Taiwan and Europe.

Hail Storm Test - Involuntary Of Course

Hail Storm Test II - Involuntary Of Course

Only OEM windshield available for my CX-5 which costs almost $700 each with $200 additional for installation.

On the other hand, 2017 CX-5 does have new acoustic windshield which may behave differently. Only time will tell.

That's what boggles my mind a bit.

I wonder how the windshield for yours with tech compares to mine with nothing. Mine was like a $350 windshield when I finally replaced it. Factory one lasted 4 years. Couple of chips that I quickly had filled when they occurred, but no cracks for 4 years.

Just want to add to my concern when I researched for the main issues on the CX 5, the top results are cracked on the windshield. When googling for known issues for CX 5, the top of the list are windshield tends to crack easily or would crack without even getting hit or while stopped at the traffic light. Wonder if this has been addressed with the newer release model as I am waiting for 2018 to be released this month before buying one.

Has anyone had issues with this windshield cracking? I read that there is so much pressure on the windshield and it is very hefty amount when replaced especially with Tech Packages.

My 2017 cx-5 GT windshield has been hit 3 times by rocks and has caused very tiny chips or marks, they were pretty hard hits as well, that being said the windshield is holding up well with no cracks.

No it isnt. The first thing somebody does when they get a problem of some sort is too join a forum for advice. Without knowing the failure mode for these examples you have shown it is impossible to conclude anything from them and that will only be known by Mazda. You can search gearbox problems from virtually any brand and they will return loads of hits. Of these Mazda ones you quote, you dont know if somebody has added the wrong oil (widely discussed that everybody has their favourite other than the proper Mazda oil), been doing burnouts, inadvertent selection of reverse and vice versa, playing with the power output of the engine, towing huge loads....... The list goes on and on. That little list out of god knows how many CX-5s on the road means absolutely nothing. Im not defending Mazda but Ive been in the position of trying to collate accurate and meaningful data.

A member here reported they spoke with a Mazdas NA rep and they admitted these blown transmissions are due to a batch of faulty parts that were used in the CX-5 transmissions(search around the forums for more info). People aren't during burnouts in their CX-5s what are you talking about? LOL. Going by your logic, all automotive problems are due to the customer, and the company is never at fault.

If people here are are blowing their transmissions and they're getting told by Mazda there was a batch of faulty parts used in, I will take their word on it.

Here's another blown tranny, I guess this guy was doing donuts in his CX-5 too right...

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860934-Transmission-broken-at-15-900-miles

Right, a specific batch of 2016's which has since been corrected. Other tranny issues in other years can be attributed to "it occassionally happens". That's any car any year. Besides that batch of 2016's, there are no other trends to call the CX-5 tranny unreliable.

Stop shilling your hate and misinformation.

Last edited:
Yea, but if you actually analyze Mango"I voted in a poll pretending I had a 2017 CX-5 so I could say my tranny blew"Chile links here.

His "proof" links, cars:
2012 (really? 12?)

So... 4 2016's had bad trannys' here based on his links. Yep... freaking epidemic!! LOL
One of his links was a discussion about someone filing an NHTSA report, the validity of which was discussed. Did you actually take the time to read what you were finding?

Last edited:
For the new folks (please note, Mango does not own a CX-5).

iUly6hh.png

Huh look at that bottom red bar. So not only dishonest, but peddling this as some epidemic LOL.

Last edited:
So a 20% chance that your transmission will crap out is a good thing? LOL Sorry, I can deal with a bad fuel pump or maybe a defective battery but any vehicle where that has a 20% chance of its transmission failing is automatically crossed off my list. Hilarious how you think a 1 in 5 chance your transmission goes out is a 'good' thing.

Lmao. Are you serious? Yea, that's not how statistics work.

Yea, but if you actually analyze Mango"I voted in a poll pretending I had a 2017 CX-5 so I could say my tranny blew"Chile links here.

His "proof" links, cars:
2012 (really? 12?)

So... 4 2016's had bad trannys' here based on his links. Yep... freaking epidemic!! LOL
One of his links was a discussion about someone filing an NHTSA report, the validity of which was discussed. Did you actually take the time to read what you were finding?
In this 20 month old thread at the time Id already listed more than 4 reports about transmission failures on 2016 CX-5, not to mention there're more reports popping up since then! One of the members voted Transmission has been reliable with no problems later said his transmission failed but couldnt change the voting!

Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

(deadhorseDontchya' think this is kind of like beating a dead horse Kedis? I know you're obsessed with potential mechanical failure/reliability, but you read this forum as much as anyone. How many reports of transmission replacement have you seen here?
I collected many transmission replacement reports since last November for you from this CX-5 community alone. And these are only from 2016 Mazda CX-5's (one Mazda6) and all of them seemed starting with shift delay without warning:

Registered here today after researching transmission failures for this car. Mine is a 2016 Touring with approximately 700 miles. Currently in shop waiting for a new transmission to be shipped. Many of these posts describe what happened to my car. Warning lights coming on and loss of power. I'm reporting this to Mazda and NTSB
The dealer left me a voice message saying that I need a new transmission, and that one is already on order. But because of the holidays this week they don't think my car will be done until next Wed. at best. They said it's a two-day job.
Finally got a chance to bring it to the dealership. Guy sat in it and change the gears a few times and decided to give me a rental car. Got a call a few hours later saying they will be replacing to transmission next week. Only had 2500 miles on it. (headshake
Got her into the dealership this morning. After a quick demonstration in the parking lot I waited for about a half hour while they hooked it up for a quick reading. New transmission was being authorized as I left with a loaner. So no hoops. Not pleased with needing such a major component this quickly but at least they're doing the right thing in getting it taken care of. I forgot to note the serial number but if it's listed on the paperwork I'll post it here.
I'm facing the same problem, I have Mazda 6 2016 and just completed 1500 KM then I find this problem ins transmission when shifting from R to D or from N to D there is delay in response about 5 sec or more.
Today I drop the car to the dealer and I will leave the car their for couple of days then let see what they will update me.
Hi guys this is my first post as this is my 1st problem with my 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT at only 5,500 miles my transmission got stuck in 1st gear car have been in the dealer for a week as they didn't have the transmission on stock and needed to wait for mazda to send one, my questions are: Anyone else with a similar problem? How common are for this transmission to just fail at low miles? Should I just try to get out of this lease?
Mine went in today and yep, fill transmission replacement.
Add me to the list.

Am I worried? Sure I do! Especially when I experienced the first delayed shift a couple of weeks ago!

So....2016's again. Known batch, since fixed. Hardly a reflection of the product as a whole, which has largely been reliable.

Just hitting 60k miles on mine. Still as good as the day I bought it.

Guys come on we get it. Ok, there are reported transmission failures on the CX-5. We get it. I would recommend starting another thread to argue about it and stop poisoning this one. There has definitely been enough posted for someone to read this and then do their own research on the topic.

Thank you.

Back