Known PROBLEMS with CX5s?

-Windshield is predisposed to crack easily.
-Brakes wear out fast.
-Residual value falls like an absolute ROCK.

otherwise, it's a pretty good little car for what it is.

Bad residual? I've always gotten good $$ for Mazdas. Maybe yours gets bad residual :)

Bad residual? I've always gotten good $$ for Mazdas. Maybe yours gets bad residual :)

Just going by KBB Trade-in value. This POS is worth less than $10K. MSRP was $26K in 2015. That's just shameful. My Jeep Grand Cherokee with nearly 100K miles on it, 2010 year-model, traded in in late 2015 brought me $17K (I traded it on this CX5, which I got for KBB Private Party Retail), and had a retail of around 37K, IIRC. So it took half a decade to drop to not even as low as this thing, percentage wise, and with significantly more miles to boot. '

Chrysler. Dominating Mazda for residual value. Shameful is what that is.

Just going by KBB Trade-in value. This POS is worth less than $10K. MSRP was $26K in 2015. That's just shameful. My Jeep Grand Cherokee with nearly 100K miles on it, 2010 year-model, traded in in late 2015 brought me $17K (I traded it on this CX5,which I got for KBB Private Party Retail), and had a retail of around 37K, IIRC. So it took half a decade to drop to not even as low as this thing, percentage wise, and with significantly more miles to boot. '

Chrysler. Dominating Mazda for residual value. Shameful is what that is.

cdb54e6b9ce90607b8db7c8d4a80a408--pretty-animals-crazy-animals.jpg

Also, its possible dealer gave you 17K for the Jeep hence he did not discount the CX5, i would say you overpaid by 2 grand and he gave you 2 grand more trade in.
Jeep was 15, CX-5 was 19.5 Lol.

Great ride!

1. I am 6"1 and it is fine. Lots of room.

2. For storage or 2nd row? Storage is plenty and more than enough room for 2nd row people.

3. I have a silver car and have not had issues.

4. Don't know. Touring with package is the sweet spot but the GT loaded is hard to beat.

5. Supply and demand. IF the dealer is moving them without having to deal, they won't deal. See Honda. If they are not, they will deal.

I agree with Dougal. We also have 2017 GT in silver. No complaints at all. Have 3800 miles on it & have taken 4 day trips from CT to PA & NY. On one trip, our 6'4" friend said he was very comfy in the rear seat & our 6'2" son said same. Not sure why some are saying this car is not for 6' people.. We also have an Infiniti & previously drove Audi's.. I'm now 100% sold on Japanese & impressed that Mazda made several upgrades to the 2017 that customers asked for! Did I say I'm also very very fussy...?

Last edited:
BMW isn't that bad. The German brands USUALLY have better paint. Japanese brands are known for terrible paint durability just like late 90's GM paint is known for flaking.

You can’t handle even what those BMW owners are saying yet you’re happy to criticise Japanese brands which is completely unfounded.

I suspect there is nothing to choose between them and that for some strange reason, many owners cannot accept that painting a moving object and firing stones at it will chip the paint.

Unob and the other negative poster are just trolling for reactions. They probably own 20 year old Fiestas or similar, wishing they had a CX-5. As for thin paint I was told the same thing about Mitsubishi and turned out to be fake news just like Mazda’s paint problems. The fake news has been going for years now.

cdb54e6b9ce90607b8db7c8d4a80a408--pretty-animals-crazy-animals.jpg

Also, its possible dealer gave you 17K for the Jeep hence he did not discount the CX5, i would say you overpaid by 2 grand and he gave you 2 grand more trade in.
Jeep was 15, CX-5 was 19.5 Lol.

Okay, cool, so in roughly 5 years, my Jeep lost the same value as my CX5 has lost in 2. Amazing difference. I feel so much better about owning a Mazda now, it's only 1.5x as bad as Chrysler on value retention instead of 1.75-2x. So much value. So much good purchase. You can bet it won't happen again. F mazda.

Unob and the other negative poster are just trolling for reactions. They probably own 20 year old Fiestas or similar, wishing they had a CX-5. As for thin paint I was told the same thing about Mitsubishi and turned out to be fake news just like Mazda’s paint problems. The fake news has been going for years now.

Seriously? You have got to be kidding/trolling/etc.

You can’t handle even what those BMW owners are saying yet you’re happy to criticise Japanese brands which is completely unfounded.

I suspect there is nothing to choose between them and that for some strange reason, many owners cannot accept that painting a moving object and firing stones at it will chip the paint.

No, I'm simply saying I've never seen the front end of a BMW torn up. We had some pretty old one's with high miles come through the dealership I worked at, and I never noticed it being an issue. Same for a friend's M3. Of course, you also have to take into account, certain years/models got different paint than others, so "YMMV". One thing remaining a constant though, is that economy brand Japanese paint is really thin, and chips really easy.

Last edited:
Seriously? You have got to be kidding/trolling/etc.

Why would I kid? All your posts here are anti Mazda. Complaints, gripes and put downs. Do you ever have anything constructive to say?

You , the mango flip and one other keep the negativity flowing here.

Why would I kid? All your posts here are anti Mazda. Complaints, gripes and put downs. Do you ever have anything constructive to say?

You , the mango flip and one other keep the negativity flowing here.

Because doubting that someone owns a cheap little SUV is just...odd? I have plenty of things to say that are constructive, I just happen to call things like I see them. In fact, here is a post outlining that made just today:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...he-mountains&p=6557855&viewfull=1#post6557855

From the other day:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...quot-to-CVTs&p=6557645&viewfull=1#post6557645

I had a dark green Subaru before. Thin paint on that too. And you know what? When I got chips and scratches, the undercoat or primer paint was white colored paint. Now with our current silver CX5, I got a minor scratch the other day (my fault), guess what the undercoat color was? Yup, black.

Great cars, but I see what you guys did there...(bang)

Last edited:
I had a dark green Subaru before. Thin paint on that too. And you know what? When I got chips and scratches, the undercoat or primer paint was white colored paint. Now with our current silver CX5, I got a minor scratch the other day (my fault), guess what the undercoat color was? Yup, black.

Great cars, but I see what you guys did there...(bang)

I have never had a chip on my CX5 not go straight to bare metal. It's either paint, or metal, on mine, it seems. What year is yours?

2017. Very small scrape was on front bumper... perhaps it's because that part isn't made of metal?

I have had many vehicles from different manufacturers and I can tell you newer vehicles paint is all water based and is not as durable. Also almost all the vehicles I had suffered paint issues, chipping and easily scratching, the North American vehicles I had developed rattles, clunks, along with recall after recall within a year of ownership. My lady bought a 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT new and to this day it only has had the tires replaced and brake pads from normal wear and a new battery this month.... it still looks new and drives like new in every way. So it was a very easy decision for me to buy a 2017 cx-5

Back