Known PROBLEMS with CX5s?

shiner26

:
Mazda CX 5
Have been considering buying one but heard they have a lot of issues

1. Not good for 6 foot plus drives
2. No space in the back
3. Paint chips easily
4. They don't give you enough for your money without going up to higher packages ( when you can get nearly all of their higher package features in a hyunida santa fe, tucson or ford escape for less )
5. They don't give money off incentives like every other dealer does

So what other issues has this thing got?

2. No space in the back
3. Paint chips easily
4. They don't give you enough for your money without going up to higher packages ( when you can get nearly all of their higher package features in a hyunida santa fe, tucson or ford escape for less )

1. I am 6"1 and it is fine. Lots of room.

2. For storage or 2nd row? Storage is plenty and more than enough room for 2nd row people.

3. I have a silver car and have not had issues.

4. Don't know. Touring with package is the sweet spot but the GT loaded is hard to beat.

5. Supply and demand. IF the dealer is moving them without having to deal, they won't deal. See Honda. If they are not, they will deal.

1. Not good for 6 foot plus drives - You'll need to go test drive one and see how Your body reacts to it.
2. No space in the back - Compared to what car.. I find it has plenty of space.. what are you wanting to haul in the back and back seats?
3. Paint chips easily - I think so too, so they may offer to clear shield the front, do it, unless you know a shop that will do it for less $$$.
4. They don't give you enough for your money without going up to higher packages - you get what you pay for; ( when you can get nearly all of their higher package features in a hyunida santa fe, tucson or ford escape for less ) - again you get what you pay for.. however since I have never cared for Ford or Hyunida, Maybe I should not respond to this part...LOL..
5. They don't give money off incentives like every other dealer does - talk to them during the negotiations, they may have some thing for you..

Last edited:
Wise saint speaks.

1. Not good for 6 foot plus drives - test drive for personal fit and feel. for me 5'10 200 lbs it has no issues with ergonomics.
2. No space in the back - Floor space in cargo is really good - height is where it lacks and overall cu ft falls because of it. See it in person.
3. Paint chips easily - If you are in rural areas - you will see this issue. In city i dont see much problem.
4. They don't give you enough for your money without going up to higher packages ( when you can get nearly all of their higher package features in a hyunida santa fe, tucson or ford escape for less ) - Kia Hyundai Nissan will be a lot cheaper until you try to trade them in or sell them. Their resale sucks. So you are driving a crappy product with same out of pocket. Only exception is if you own for 12-14 years - then i agree go kia / hyundai.
5. They don't give money off incentives like every other dealer does - They offer. They just dont flood the market with high volume 15% off cars like some brands do, you may not even find a sport / Touring in your color spec combination in your area unless you are in big 7 or 8 regions.

Just want to add to my concern when I researched for the main issues on the CX 5, the top results are cracked on the windshield. When googling for known issues for CX 5, the top of the list are windshield tends to crack easily or would crack without even getting hit or while stopped at the traffic light. Wonder if this has been addressed with the newer release model as I am waiting for 2018 to be released this month before buying one.

Has anyone had issues with this windshield cracking? I read that there is so much pressure on the windshield and it is very hefty amount when replaced especially with Tech Packages.

Coming from a RAV4 2010 V6,,,,,,,
2. No space in the back <<======= this is the only thing that I miss. I was hauling a few boxes this afternoon and I needed to bring down the rear seats. The RAV i had has plenty space. Since the CX5's back is sloping you have to watch that the things you haul at the rear won't hit the rear windshield and rub the defroster. That's the only thing for me , actually it's minor. I don't intend to use this as my primary car for hauling things.

The Santa Fe is a CX-9 competitior if I'm not mistaken?
Put the Mazda on your short list. Test drive the Tuscon, the Escape and the CX-5. That will at the least end your Hyundai shopping.
Imo, a fully loaded CX-5 trounces everything in its class, even the Escape with the bigger engine. Does the Escape have a HUD? Heated rear seats? Headlights that turn with the steering wheel? The quietest cabin in its class and even above the luxury market second only to BMW?
(The Escape may have heated rear seats but not the other stuff lol)

I put an 8 foot Xmas tree inside my Mazda.

If you're a tall dude you need to just test drive one to know how it fits you. Some people don't love the seats, others do.

If you're seriously interested in this car, you owe it to yourself to drive one. It's that good.

I'm 6'4" and it's decebt. Better than most cars I sit in. In fact I am not sure what car is "tall-friendly".

Several members here have reported complete transmission failure in their CX-5s ranging from 2014-2016. The most recent ones:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861506-2015-CX5-2-5-AWD-Transmission-took-a-dump
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862019-Transmission-blown-at-72K-miles

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814755-First-CX-5-Transmission-Has-Been-Replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-My-CX-5-transmission-failed-and-was-replaced
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...-shifting-after-2015-transmission-replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854261-Full-Transmission-Replacement
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123854272-2015-CX5-Transmission-Replacement

If you decide on getting a CX-5, GET A WARRANTY. Members have been quoted at 5k from Mazda for replacement. Members here have also reported Mazda under-fills the transmission fluid from the factory, so I would check the levels when you're having the car inspected. Haven't seen any 2017s yet with the transmission issues, but it uses the same transmission as the 2014-2016.

2. No space in the back
3. Paint chips easily

It says in your profile that you have a CX-5. Does that mean you are considering the new model?

The subject title suggests that these are questions regarding technical failures with aspects of the CX-5 but in fact these are not issues at all, they are your opinion. The car isn’t big enough for you, get a bigger one, there is nothing wrong with the car. The same goes for everything else with the possible exception of the paint and even then, Mazda use the same paint suppliers and processes as many other suppliers. I suggest you try another brand as well as a different model.

1. I am 6’6” tall and am comfortable in my Cx5. Who knows whether you will be, as we dont know your height.
2. Depends what you want/need to put in there of course. So impossible to comment.
3. Paint is better than most cars and I have no noticeable chips despite bad roads here in Australia, same for my previous CX5 I had for 3 years. Chips dont miraculously appear, you hear the stones hitting and when you do, it is a sign to back off because you are following too close.
4. Stop complaining, you guys in the USA have the cheapest cars in the world. Come visit us here and find out the prices the rest of the world has to pay! Sheesh!
5. See previous comment.

Well, it looks like OP's question has been answered multiple times but could someone answer if the issues with the windshield are that bad? Anyone here has a crack windshield? If so, at what kilometers and what causes? Reading from this website https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/ is what concern me alot especially it is not cover by the warranty.

Thanks...

It's not common. Niether are blown tranny's. Ridiculous.

LOL. (rofl)

Let's break this down.

2. No space in the back
3. Paint chips easily

1. False. How much taller above 6' are we talking about? I'm 6', 225 lbs. and have plenty of room.
2. LOL - what does this even mean? Of course it has space in the back. What are you comparing it to to say "no space"? Disingenuous...
3. Agree. My hood is in pretty bad shape with regard to paint chips. Granted I lived on dirt roads in the mountains when I bought it.
4. I thought I got plenty for my money. It only gets better with each year. Hell the Sports on the upcoming 2018 has more than my 2014 Touring.
5. They also don't mark their cars up the same level a lot of other companies do. Sure *insert whatever company here* gave you 10 grand off, but their sticker was artificially inflated. Mazda doesn't play that game to that level. So you're really comparing apples to oranges on that one.

And despite what fruit man says, the tranny thing is way overblown and he posts the same exact threads every time. Broken record. Any new one's fruit man? No? Ok then. This is the same guy that voted that his 2017 CX-5 tranny was broken in a poll (he doesn't own one). He got an extended warranty on his Honda too. Blown trannys there too fruit man?

Last edited:
The windscreen thickness on the 17 has been increased which my improve resistance to cracking. It was done to reduce noise transmission. The cost of any modern screen with multiple fixings for cameras and mirrors is going to be high and if you throw in a heater element on some models it will be very high. Again, if you find these things off putting, buy a basic hack and don’t moan when there’s no toys. Windscreen cover is included (charged extra for) in most insurance policies over here although a 50-70 ($70-100) excess is normal.

I think you are correct about the Escape. Ford allows you to add a lot of options to the SE and SEL trims, so you don't need to go with the Titanium unless you want an Escape that's fully loaded with everything. Mazda doesn't provide the same level of configuration flexibility. There are two optional packages for the Touring trim, and they are mutually exclusive, one optional package for the Grand Touring, and none for the Sport or Grand Select. By my count, that makes 7 possible combinations of trim + option package (not counting all the miscellaneous little options that you can buy a la carte). It's about the same with the Hyundai Tuscon. There are six trim levels, but one or two of them are primarily cosmetic, and all but one or two of them have no available option packages. Most people who price out the CX-5 and Tuscon with the features they want will probably end up with about the same MSRP.

Regarding incentives, it depends on the vehicle and time of year. Mazda did offer large incentives on the 2016.5 CX-5 to clear inventory for the 2017s. Mazda was also offering some big incentives on the 3 and 6 this year, which they have scaled back a bit, but there's still a $2k cash offer on the 2017 Mazda3 and $2.5k on the 6. They haven't offered cash incentives on the CX-5 because they haven't needed to.

There are two optional packages for the Touring trim, and they are mutually exclusive, one optional package for the Grand Touring, and none for the Sport or Grand Select.

2018 Sports will have an iActiveSense package I believe.

Well, it looks like OP's question has been answered multiple times but could someone answer if the issues with the windshield are that bad? Anyone here has a crack windshield? If so, at what kilometers and what causes? Reading from this website https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mazda/CX-5/ is what concern me alot especially it is not cover by the warranty.

Thanks...

My factory windshield lasted 4 years before it cracked from a rock hit from a snow plow back in January.

Colorado is notorious for having to replace the windshield every year. I know I did with my Jeep, so color me damn impressed with 4 years.

Back