30mm Spacers on 2017 CX-9 GT AWD

So was the reason you still went for 30mm for the rears even though 35mm would have been flush simply due to it being cheaper to buy a set of 4, or was there another reason why you didn't want the rear wheels flush like the fronts?

Also, I know it's hard to tell since they're still fairly new, but how is the quality of the spacers themselves? These ones are far cheaper than some of the more premium brands so just weary of that since a spacer failure at speed would be potentially fatal.

SO I want to do spacers on our CX9, Ive never used them before. I think I would like something like 15 or 20mm better, as I want a wider look, but not flush with the fenders.
So does anyone know, what the minimum spacer width you can do, yet still bolt on using the current studs i.e. the spacer has holes to bolt it on and the studs to mount the wheel (so you dont need to use longer studs)? Obviously there is some minimum to clear the nuts holding the spacer on, not sure what it is.

Do these 30mm spacer with the nuts holding them to the current hub just clear the nut tops?

I believe that for this style of spacer, the spacer bolts to the existing studs. The spacer then has it's own studs that the wheel would mount to. Here's a video that provides a good explanation:

I think the minimum width spacer you could use with the OEM studs is 5mm.

I believe that for this style of spacer, the spacer bolts to the existing studs. The spacer then has it's own studs that the wheel would mount to. Here's a video that provides a good explanation:

I think the minimum width spacer you could use with the OEM studs is 5mm.

Right, I dont want to change out the original studs to longer ones, and I think just adding a plate spacer like 5mm which can use the original studs isnt enough to get a better look.
So I want a spacer to bolt to the hub using the original studs like the OP did, but not sure if its possible in a 20mm or 15mm version, because the nuts used to fasten the spacer to the original studs have a certain thickness, and it may be 30mm, so thats the thinnest you can go with this type of spacer. Just wonder if anyone knew the thinnest space with the integrates studs could be.

Right, I dont want to change out the original studs to longer ones, and I think just adding a plate spacer like 5mm which can use the original studs isnt enough to get a better look.
So I want a spacer to bolt to the hub using the original studs like the OP did, but not sure if its possible in a 20mm or 15mm version, because the nuts used to fasten the spacer to the original studs have a certain thickness, and it may be 30mm, so thats the thinnest you can go with this type of spacer. Just wonder if anyone knew the thinnest space with the integrates studs could be.

Sometimes an OEM wheel has "pockets" between the lug holes that would provide space for the OEM studs and lugs when using a spacer thinner than 30mm. See below:

images

I don't remember if the OEM wheels have these "pockets" or not, but I can check my winter set when I get home and get back to you.

Sometimes an OEM wheel has "pockets" between the lug holes that would provide space for the OEM studs and lugs when using a spacer thinner than 30mm. See below:

images

I don't remember if the OEM wheels have these "pockets" or not, but I can check my winter set when I get home and get back to you.

Great point, that would allow clearance, I can check my OE 20's, and I can also measure the stud protrusion from the rotor, and figure out how much they will stick out past the 20mm spacer, Im guessing its gonna be more than 1", in which case I need to OE wheels to have the pockets.

Its a no brand set from Amazon, that appears to be a good quality!

4pieces 30mm Hub Centric Wheel Spacers | 5x114.3 5x4.5"| 1.18" Inch Thick https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Nice job on the spacers and the info related.
Your ride looks extra sweet with that change and I may do the spacer trick on my Vdub sportwagen.
Per my wife's CX-9, I may research the tire sizes to go slightly taller on her 18's.
The wheel well looks too big or tires too small. Part of my sporty look to the old G-35 I had was fixing it that way but never got around to spacers. Just tire sizing was a nice trick to make it look better versus lowering, coil-overs, cost, work etc....

Did you happen to measure the length of the stock studs? I'm curious what the smallest spacer you can use is without modifying the studs. Was there extra clearance room with the 30mm spacers? Thanks

Bought some spacers slightly thinner than the ones OP used, and they don't sit flush against the hub. The inner diameter of the spacers was maybe 2-3 mm smaller than the ring on the hub.

Anyone else have this experience? I just found some 5x114.3 spacers, and didnt worry much about anything else, other than the thickness obviously.

Bought some spacers slightly thinner than the ones OP used, and they don't sit flush against the hub. The inner diameter of the spacers was maybe 2-3 mm smaller than the ring on the hub.

Anyone else have this experience? I just found some 5x114.3 spacers, and didnt worry much about anything else, other than the thickness obviously.

I'd return them. If you use spacers, they need to sit flush against the hub. If you decide to replace the spacers or get a set of aftermarket wheels, ensure that the hub bore size of the spacer or the new wheels is the same as the OEM CX-9 size (or ensure that the wheels/spacers come with hubcentric rings).

Back