2017 Cx-5 and Lexus NX.

Talking of comparisons, it seems like the new Lamborghini Urus SUV got its wheel inspiration from the previous gen CX-5 19s (lol)

lamborghini-urus-front.jpg

Talking of comparisons, it seems like the new Lamborghini Urus SUV got its wheel inspiration from the previous gen CX-5 19s (lol)

lamborghini-urus-front.jpg
Looks like a squashed version on the VW new Beetle!

I had a chance to drive a new NX whilst car shopping with a friend. While it doesn't look horrible, the drive was noisy and unrefined.

I like the NX's rear spoiler more than the (17) CX-5's. The 17 CX-5 does look better, cleaner, then the NX, but I also find the straight lines of the '17 CX-5 to be less appealing than the moving curved lines of the GEN1 '12-'16 body style. To me, I see lots of straight flat door above the rocker panel. A little more curve would have done wonders; however, the NX has too much curving and sculpting going on along the side.

The front end, nose, of the NC is that only a mother (Toyota) could love. I get the idea for aero and cutting through the wind, but the pointy spindle grill does not translate well into their CUV/SUV line...and their upcoming 3-row RX looks hideous from the front/3/4 front view.

Anyone know how the NX drives compared to the CX-5? Better? Worse? More numb? Quieter? More Floaty?

My boyfriend bought a base 2017 NX for $34,000. A week later I bought my 2017 CX-5, touring + preferred package for $25,000.
I drive both of the cars regularly. The NX does not have a smooth ride, especially for people sitting in the back seat. I couldn't even read my phone screen because it was so bumpy.
The infotainment system is also very poor in the base model NX. No touch screen, and navigation is done though some app which needs to connect through your phone.
Backup camera in the NX is a little nicer because it shows which ways your wheels are pointed.
I don't notice any significant power difference, maybe the NX has the CX-5 beat on acceleration, but only slightly. The NX has a 2L Turbo, vs the 2.5L in the CX-5.
I like the steering a little more in the NX as well. It feels a little smoother, and responsive.

Given the price difference, and how comparable the two cars are, even my boyfriend regretted not getting the CX-5 after he spent some time driving mine.

Actually those wheels look more like the ones found on the stock M3/M4.

The size of the wheels and the thickness of the spokes may resemble BMW but the overall look especially the machine polished finished part of the design is pointy like the CX-5s whereas the M3/M4 machine polished/silver part of the design is straight. Reason why some people describe the CX-5s as vampire fangs. (pointy)

Last edited:
Had the opportunity today to take a few pictures after parking next to an NX.

Just comparing by appearance, the CX5 is cleaner. The designers knew when to put down the pen.

Styling aside, I cross- stopped the NX before buying my CX5. Sure, the NX has more power and a better warranty, but a base model NX was about the same price as my completely loaded AWD CX5.
2c7e4ec5bbe284abaef92d161e4fefe5.jpg
faa67284354ec6c8a107d6d3abf78a10.jpg

Back of the NX and front of the Mazda would be the best of both worlds, IMO

Toyota/Lexus haven't managed to make a car that looked anygood since the celica era.

Back