3rd new interior since the 2014 launch!

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
I have to say I'm totally shocked that Mazda has invested that kind of money in a low volume sedan.
It is unprecedented that a company redesigns an interior every 2 years. I didn't expect this major refresh for '18 because I had assumed an all new generation for 2019. So I guess it'll be 2020.

Most cars get no interior redesign for their entire runs, aside from perhaps minor upgrades. Even when Toyota dramatically refreshed the last gen Camry after 3 years, they barely touched the interior and it's the best seller. Here we have Mazda almost completely changing it every 2 years on a car that sells about 1/15 of the Camry.

I read elsewhere that the new Mazda3 is slated for 2019 with SkyActiv-X, and the new Mazda6 will come the year after.

But Mazda had to do something now. Sales were already slipping against their 2017 competition. The 2018 Accord and Camry are all new, and reportedly much improved. Other than nice styling, the current 6 lacks selling points. Even with the updates, the 2018 model is going to have a hard time.

Besides that, all the auto makers seem to be updating their cars more frequently now, with cosmetic changes and new features coming almost every year.

Last edited:
Other than nice styling, the current 6 lacks selling points.

Are you kidding? The only reason I passed over several other good American-made sedans is because the 6 is among the quickest in its class yet also among the most fuel efficient and best-handling. That's a huge selling point to me that I think doesn't get communicated to the average sedan buyer who chooses not to do all the research I do when choosing a car to buy.

I think the 2016 interior redesign was crucial because it fixed the mistake that was the 2014-2015 dash - it just didn't cut it. But the money spent on this 2018 dash redesign, which most people will hardly notice, would have been much better spent on a marketing campaign that touts the advantages the 6 already had. Seems to me many more people will buy 6's after seeing some cool ads touting all of its attributes than simply because the air vents were repositioned on the dash - if they ever even find out about that.

Are you kidding? The only reason I passed over several other good American-made sedans is because the 6 is among the quickest in its class yet also among the most fuel efficient and best-handling. That's a huge selling point to me that I think doesn't get communicated to the average sedan buyer who chooses not to do all the research I do when choosing a car to buy.

I think the 2016 interior redesign was crucial because it fixed the mistake that was the 2014-2015 dash - it just didn't cut it. But the money spent on this 2018 dash redesign, which most people will hardly notice, would have been much better spent on a marketing campaign that touts the advantages the 6 already had. Seems to me many more people will buy 6's after seeing some cool ads touting all of its attributes than simply because the air vents were repositioned on the dash - if they ever even find out about that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
I can't believe how many people I've talked to, since I started my car search journey, that don't do any research before buying a car.
My sister in law just bought her third CR-V, without bothering to check anything else out.
Despite the fact that both previous CR-V's self destructed in later life, her and her husband just dropped into the Honda dealer and bought a new one.
I spent 6 months researching everything before buying my Mazda 6 GT last month.
When I mentioned Mazda to anyone that would ask what I was considering buying, they just gave me a blank stare.

I spoke at length with the manager at the dealership about Mazda and their total lack of commitment to marketing the 6.
They are as frustrated as we are.
Mazda needs to get it's act together and steer a few bucks towards some ads/marketing for the 6.
It's not like they have to convince people to buy a bad car. It's a great car. I love my new ride.
They just need to somehow convince people to at least look at, test drive and consider the 6 before buying something.

BTW, I like my '17 interior better than the new one.
Cheers.

2018-Mazda6-interior-light-color.jpg

The Mazda6 is nowhere near the quickest in its class, and hasn't been in years. The new Accord with the 2.0T went 0-60 in 5.5s in a C&D test and 5.7s in a Motortrend test. The new Camry with the V6 did it in 5.8s in a Motortrend test. The Mazda6's acceleration is on par with the Accord 1.5T and Camry 2.5, both of which get better fuel economy than the 6. The new Honda reportedly handles just as well as the 6, while also having a smoother ride, and posted better skidpad results. Early reports are that the new Camry, which finally got a multi-link rear suspension, is now a good handling car, and the SE and XSE trims with sportier suspension tuning are on par with the 6.

The advantages that the Mazda6 had in the 2017 model year are gone for 2018, because the new Accord and Camry made a pretty big jump. Not just in performance. In the top trims, they've raised the bar on interior materials quality and on features. For example, the Accord has a fancy new instrument cluster with 7" digital display, a windshield-projected HUD, and ventilated seats. These are all features that Mazda just introduced for 2018 to stay in the hunt.

They won't be as quiet until they decide to employ all the stuff they did on the CX-5 & CX-9

The Mazda6 is nowhere near the quickest in its class, and hasn't been in years. The new Accord with the 2.0T went 0-60 in 5.5s in a C&D test and 5.7s in a Motortrend test. The new Camry with the V6 did it in 5.8s in a Motortrend test.

Wrong. The Accord 2.0T and Camry V6 are not in the same class. I'm talking base engine mid size sedans which 85+% of sedan buyers buy.

The Mazda6's acceleration is on par with the Accord 1.5T and Camry 2.5, both of which get better fuel economy than the 6.

Mostly wrong. The Accord 1.5T is on par, but you'd have to live with the god-awful exterior styling. The Camry 2.5 is significantly slower at 7.9 seconds. No faster than the outgoing car really.

These are all features that Mazda just introduced for 2018 to stay in the hunt.

I'm confused, you originally seemed to be saying the latest interior update was Mazda's attempt to address its lack of "selling points", now you're saying it's new instrument cluster, windshield projected HUD and ventilated seats. Which is it?

Doesn't matter, bottom line is the competition raised it's game to leapfrog he 6, and now the 6 has introduced a refresh to narrow the new gap significantly. Not sure what your point was.

Wrong. The Accord 2.0T and Camry V6 are not in the same class. I'm talking base engine mid size sedans which 85+% of sedan buyers buy.

Having a choice of engines/powertrains doesn't break the segment into multiple classes. These are all mainstream midsized sedans. Most of the vehicles in this class have been offering 3 powertrain options: a base option, a performance option, and a hybrid option. Mazda offered just the base option. That's a selling point for the competition. Mazda are (finally) rectifying that problem to some extent by offering the 2.5T in next year's model.

Mostly wrong. The Accord 1.5T is on par, but you'd have to live with the god-awful exterior styling. The Camry 2.5 is significantly slower at 7.9 seconds. No faster than the outgoing car really.

No argument on the styling.

Motor Trend tested the Camry 2.5 and got 7.9s.
When Motor Trend tested the Mazda6, they got 7.9s

You can't compare C&Ds test numbers with MTs, because historically C&D always posts quicker numbers than anyone else. C&D hasn't tested the new Camry yet. Considering the Camry's 2.5 makes more horsepower than Mazdas, and the Camry has an 8-speed, I expect the Camry will equal or slightly beat the Mazda6 when it does get tested by C&D.

I'm confused, you originally seemed to be saying the latest interior update was Mazda's attempt to address its lack of "selling points", now you're saying it's new instrument cluster, windshield projected HUD and ventilated seats. Which is it?

Doesn't matter, bottom line is the competition raised it's game to leapfrog he 6, and now the 6 has introduced a refresh to narrow the new gap significantly. Not sure what your point was.

Going back to the original post in this thread, the question was why did the Mazda6 get a new interior for 2018. My answer was they needed to do something for 2018 rather than wait for a completely new model, because the current model lacks selling points other than styling.

We have very little information to go on besides pictures of the show car, but it looks to me like next year's Mazda6 Signature trim is going to line up roughly on par with the Accord Touring and Camry XLE/XSE V6 in terms of performance, fuel economy, features, interior quality, and price. The fact that the Mazda6 Signature will be a better looking car should tip the balance in its favor. I need a car but I'm trying to talk myself into waiting for it to come out.

But I think the 2018 Mazda6 is going to be a tough sell in the lower trims. And some of the other manufacturers are going to have it worse. I think the Altima, Fusion, Sonata, and Legacy are in big trouble for 2018. And I really don't know how Volkswagen still sells any Passats.

Having a choice of engines/powertrains doesn't break the segment into multiple classes. These are all mainstream midsized sedans. Most of the vehicles in this class have been offering 3 powertrain options: a base option, a performance option, and a hybrid option. Mazda offered just the base option. That's a selling point for the competition. Mazda are (finally) rectifying that problem to some extent by offering the 2.5T in next year's model.

Since 85+% of buyers opt for the base engine, how is offering a "performance option" a significant selling point? I hold to my assertion that the 6's "class" consists of the competition's base engines, not their engine upgrades which the vast majority car buyers do not opt for.

C&D hasn't tested the new Camry yet.

Of course they have. Here are the results. And the 6's latest C&D results below it for direct comparison. As is plainly obvious the Camry, even with its 8-speed tranny is notably slower. That's a clear selling point for the 6 in my opinion.

C/D 2018 CAMRY TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.9 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 20.5 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 32.0 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 8.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 4.3 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 6.0 sec
Standing -mile: 16.2 sec @ 90 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 133 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 175 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

C/D 2016 Mazda6TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.2 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 32.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 7.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing -mile: 15.5 sec @ 92 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 175 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.84 g

Perhaps most notable (and useful) the 6 is 1.4 seconds quicker from 50-70.

Oh, and C&D is still comparing the current Mazda6 very favorably to the competition's latest and greatest. Again, I think the problem is marketing, not a complete lack of "selling points" as you assert.
"Although family-sedan shoppers who prize driving engagement will be better served by a Honda Accord or a Mazda 6, choosing a [2018] Camry no longer means forsaking satisfying driving dynamics. Pinch us, we must be dreaming."

Last edited:
More performance is not a selling point? Are you kidding me?

Back