2016 CX5 - Coolant Leak

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Any recalls or TSB's on a coolant leak for 2016 CX-5s?

Just noticed a burning coolant smell and looked to find the coolant level is low. Can't see any drips/leaks on the ground so it must be burning off before then.

Would this be covered under the powertrain warranty? I assume if the leak is coming from the engine area then it would be covered, right?

Just noticed a burning coolant smell and looked to find the coolant level is low. Can't see any drips/leaks on the ground so it must be burning off before then.

Would this be covered under the powertrain warranty? I assume if the leak is coming from the engine area then it would be covered, right?

You won’t see any leaks because the bottom of the car has a belly pan. Check inside the engine bay with a flashlight and look for leaks around hoses and stuff.

Burning coolant smell suggests that you are burning it, not leaking. Very unlikely for a new car to start leaking coolant. My Mazda 6 needed a coolant top up at around 60k km, so just top up but be sure to use FL22 or at least some distilled water.

Are you experiencing any noticeable oil consumption? And what is your mileage?

are you talking about a smell that coolant makes on a hot engine or exhaust pipe or what it smells like coming out the exhaust pipe with a head gasket or similar internal leak?You could have a small external leak that evaporates from engine heat but doesn't make it to the ground to notice any puddles.

It could be evaporating before it has a chance to drip. It could be a gasket, a radiator tank seam, a hose failing, water pump weephole, etc.. I would let the dealer handle this, as you are covered for your warranty period. 3yr 36k miles if you are in the US.

are you talking about a smell that coolant makes on a hot engine or exhaust pipe or what it smells like coming out the exhaust pipe with a head gasket or similar internal leak?You could have a small external leak that evaporates from engine heat but doesn't make it to the ground to notice any puddles.

The smell coolants makes when it hits a hot engine or exhaust pipe. It is definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine.

It's a small leak, for now.

I have 36,200 miles on the vehicle. I took it in 2 weeks ago at 35,800 miles to have them look it over to make sure everything was OK. Not sure if it started to leak then or now but there is a problem. No oil burning or anything like that.

I am wondering if the powertrain warranty will cover any engine coolant repairs?

The smell coolants makes when it hits a hot engine or exhaust pipe. It is definitely coming from the passenger side of the engine.

It's a small leak, for now.

I have 36,200 miles on the vehicle. I took it in 2 weeks ago at 35,800 miles to have them look it over to make sure everything was OK. Not sure if it started to leak then or now but there is a problem. No oil burning or anything like that.

I am wondering if the powertrain warranty will cover any engine coolant repairs?

it's broken down in the w3arranty phamplet

There is a general water pump TSB (01-016/16) for all models.

Seeing any crusty green residue from leaking water pump? You may want to pull undercover and inspect from that angle as well.

Water Pump is almost always included in Powertrain warranty. My Lexus GX had water pump replaced under powertrain warranty earlier this year. So much easier to spot as Toyota uses this pink coolant that looks like cotton candy when the water pump is leaking.

Last edited:
There is a general water pump TSB (01-016/16) for all models.

Seeing any crusty green residue from leaking water pump? You may want to pull undercover and inspect from that angle as well.

Water Pump is almost always included in Powertrain warranty. My Lexus GX had water pump replaced under powertrain warranty earlier this year. So much easier to spot as Toyota uses this pink coolant that looks like cotton candy when the water pump is leaking.

Yes, there is definetly some coolant leaking near the water pump area. Going to take it in tomorrow.

Dealership still will not say whether it is covered under the powertrain warranty.

Yes, there is definetly some coolant leaking near the water pump area. Going to take it in tomorrow.

Dealership still will not say whether it is covered under the powertrain warranty.

I do not see any reason why it would not be covered.

Here is a link to the 2017 Warranty PDF, in which on page 20 is the items covered in the powertrain warranty. Water pump/gaskets is listed as covered.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2017/2017-warranty-booklet.pdf

Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
Engine Mounts
Timing gears
Timing chain/belt and tensioner
Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
Flywheel
Valve Covers and Gaskets
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Intake Manifold and Gaskets
Exhaust Manifold and Gaskets
Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Supercharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Water Pump and Gaskets
Thermostat and Gaskets
Fuel Pump
Seals and Gaskets

I do not see any reason why it would not be covered.

Here is a link to the 2017 Warranty PDF, in which on page 20 is the items covered in the powertrain warranty. Water pump/gaskets is listed as covered.

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/manuals-and-guides/2017/2017-warranty-booklet.pdf

Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head, and All Internal Lubricated Parts (Piston engines)
Engine Mounts
Timing gears
Timing chain/belt and tensioner
Timing chain/belt front cover and gaskets
Flywheel
Valve Covers and Gaskets
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Intake Manifold and Gaskets
Exhaust Manifold and Gaskets
Turbocharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Supercharger Housing and All Internal Parts
Water Pump and Gaskets
Thermostat and Gaskets
Fuel Pump
Seals and Gaskets

Yes water pump is covered under powertrain warranty. OPs Mazda dealer is playing dumb.

Yes water pump is covered under powertrain warranty. OPs Mazda dealer is playing dumb.

He was acting like a jerk and kept telling me "I don't know if it is under warranty, only the mechanic can run it on his computer and find out". He then condescended me by saying "owning a car is expensive so be prepared to have to pay if it's not under warranty"

What a clown. Car is currently in shop getting the water pump replaced. It was leaking.

At 10am the tech knew it was a bad water pump. It took until 2pm for them to finally tell me that there isn't a water pump in stock. So I wasted 4 hours for nothing.

What a bunch of idiots.

He finally admitted the water pump is under warranty.

At 10am the tech knew it was a bad water pump. It took until 2pm for them to finally tell me that there isn't a water pump in stock. So I wasted 4 hours for nothing.

What a bunch of idiots.

He finally admitted the water pump is under warranty.

most likely it's not even the water pump itself malfunctioning but the gasket which seals it in place.

either way, it seems to me that quality control and overall reliability seems to have went down with the introduction of the more recent models. anyone noticing a similar trend? because my 2015 6 sedan has almost 60k on it and I havent had to take the car in for anything but tires or oil change ever since I bought it new.

Back