Tail lights and dash lights not working

:
mazda protege 2002
Allright! I have seen a lot of people with that exact problem.
I have read them all. Every each one of them. I have not tried anything, but just by logic, all I see will not get my problem fixed.

As you saw in the title, my tail lights and dashborad lights are all out, including the climate control lights. Headlamps are working good, high beams, and also brakelight are working.

But! I saw people saying things about the grounds, about jumping the circuit because it has a short somewhere where it is impossible to find it, replacing de fuses and the taillights relay and the switch attached to the column etc etc.

The thing is, I have a remote engine starter. For safety measures, when I start the car from a distance, the lights are turning on. Tail lights, dashlight, everything so the car is visible at night if I start it. And when I start it now, with the issue, they all turn on! So there is defenitely no issues with the relays, the circuit and the fuses as everything is coming on.

And then, I put the key in the ignition, turn it to the right position, press on the brake to put the car in drive, and boom, no tail lights and no dashboard lights!

A big what the h*ll right now!

Oh, just to make it even more bizarre, I just tried something. I putted the car in neutral, the key in the ignition in off position. I started the car with the remote, everythings lights on. Put the car in drive, and I can drive the car, with the lights on. As soon as I put my foot on the break, they all turn off. I am soooo confused

^^^ What he said...
If it used to work but doesn't now, then check all the connections where the Remote Starter wiring ties into the cars wiring.

The factory alarm in my MSP just died a couple months ago. I couldn't figure out WTF was wrong with the car for weeks. It'd just die out of nowhere and not start again until the battery was disconnected and plugged back in. It ended up being the nearly 15 year old factory alarm taking a s*** and engaging the kill switch when it shouldn't.

Weird, when we pulled it out it said Viper all over it...Dealer installed in the car when it was new. I thought it'd say Mazda on it somewhere, but nope. Just a plain old Viper.

Also, in my experience, the brake/clutch switch just kills the starter, not the headlights and stuff. It IS famous for going out though.

Also, in my experience, the brake/clutch switch just kills the starter, not the headlights and stuff. It IS famous for going out though.

^^^ Agreed...
A bad brake switch should mean no brake lights at all (open circuit) or brake lights always on or blown fuse (shorted circuit).

I'm thinking your remote starter circuitry/software is messed up and killing your lights or you have some sort of bad connection....

Back