How to tell the difference between an open diff and lsd trans

cardana24

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys, I am considering buying a parts car, but everything depends on if the car has a speed trans installed or not. The seller is unsure because he did not do the mods. Is there a tag on the trans somewhere? What other indicators can I look for? I know on my nissans you can raise the front end in the air and spin one tire...if the tire on the other side also spins in the same direction then it's a vlsd...if it spins the opposite way then its an open diff. I assume this would hold true to the protege as well. Please let me know what you all know. Thanks.

..The seller is unsure because he did not do the mods. What other indicators can I look for?

I don't know much about this but my guess is if you wring up the parts car and drop the clutch, it will either leave one peel out patch or two.

I figure if it's got vlsd, it will leave two patches...
One patch means open diff...

Take it for a test drive and smoke it up !!!

upinsmoke_zps1867826a.jpg

I don't know much about this but my guess is if you wring up the parts car and drop the clutch, it will either leave one peel out patch or two.

I figure if it's got vlsd, it will leave two patches...
One patch means open diff...

Take it for a test drive and smoke it up !!!

upinsmoke_zps1867826a.jpg

Sorry, I guess it would help with a little more information. The car does not run. It is a P5 with a MSP turbo kit installed. I do appreciate the Cheech and Chong reference though

So I need to be able to tell if it has the lsd trans with out being able to start or drive the car.

About the only way it would have an LSD is if the MSP trans was also installed.

Jack up one front wheel and try to spin it with the trans in neutral. If it spins freely, open diff. If it doesn't turn at all or there is a lot of resistance, LSD.

... If it doesn't turn at all or there is a lot of resistance, LSD.

Or...
The brake pads are rusted to the rotors because it's been sitting for a year and you think you've got an LSD when all you have is a rust turd...

Just saying..

About the only way it would have an LSD is if the MSP trans was also installed.

Jack up one front wheel and try to spin it with the trans in neutral. If it spins freely, open diff. If it doesn't turn at all or there is a lot of resistance, LSD.

Right, that's what I am wondering. Before the guy I got it from had it, the guy who did have it also had an MSP parts car as documented here. But I don't know if that trans got put in the P5. Normally if you jack the vehicle up and spin one wheel, if the other wheel turns the same way then it's an LSD, if it spins the opposite way then it's open. I am just hoping to confirm that about this trans or find marking that indicate which trans it is. Proteges are new to me.

I don't know if there is a visible marking that indicates an LSD. Best way to check is what I posted above, you only need to raise one wheel.

I just went out to my parts car and stood on a spoke of my wheel a jumped...
It would not budge...
It doesn't have LSD.

Screenshot_2017-12-02-12-53-07.png

I'd suggest pulling the wheel off and removing the caliper if the wheel doesn't spin and try again...

So, out of curiosities sake, I went and did this...

Screenshot_2017-12-02-13-26-23.png

That broke it free, then after spinning it a few times, it spun quite freely by hand,... To the point where I figure I could feel an LSD if it had one...

Listen to the brakes dragging to get an idea of resistance.

PCB, looks like your parts car has aftermarket sill skirts. Hard to find these days.

bonnetblack.jpg

Yea... It's supposed to be "West Wings".
It's in rough shape with cracks and peeling paint but fixable.

Would you not be able to count the splines on the axle ? MSP is larger with more, don't recall the amount at moment likely listed on the protegefaq.

*Edit*

24 mm vs 22 mm.

Last edited:
Back