Mazda6 Signature

Not really apples to oranges at all.... a Journey (V36) model with a rear open diff would have been just as performance neutered. If you go RWD on a V36 you want a sport model with the VLSD.

The V36 regardless of which diff it has will still put power down better than a front drive maxima. The limits with RWD are much higher.

True... nonetheless traction isn't an issue with my G35x. Full throttle starts are straight as an arrow.

it looks amazing! I would pick this over a CX-5 anyday...

I felt the same way when it was first announced but unfortunately over here, it just doesn't sell in great enough volumes. Having this engine won't make that much of a difference. More SUV's and utilities (pick-ups in your parlance) are sold than passenger cars now.

When it came time for me to sell mine (2015 model), took much longer than expected. Don't want to go through that again

I felt the same way when it was first announced but unfortunately over here, it just doesn't sell in great enough volumes. Having this engine won't make that much of a difference. More SUV's and utilities (pick-ups in your parlance) are sold than passenger cars now.

When it came time for me to sell mine (2015 model), took much longer than expected. Don't want to go through that again

I agree. I have no idea why crossovers are so popular, but most of all I just don't get why americans hate station wagons. it is absurd... say no to a car that has the space and practicality of a larger car, but the performance, efficiency and ride quality of a sedan? I don't know - but I think this new 6 is beautiful. I do agree with you that sales won't suddenly skyrocket, as you need to be a well-known brand to sell in the sedan market. but with the 2.5L turbo this car has now made itself a competer against a broader array of vehicles such as the Nissan Maxima... so we will see how things play out.

and I hear you on that. I've tried putting my BMW 528i up for sale before and the offers were pathetic... just a bunch of people calling me who almost had enough money for a luxury car but not quite. I consequently decided to hold onto to my Bimmer for good.. such a great car. I just can't stand the high-up boat sensation of a bigger car.

it is unfortunate you sold the 6. what did you replace it with? I also have a 2015 mazda 6 but in liquid silver which was the only gray colour offered for the car - 2016+ got sonic silver so maybe this is due to australian spec or something?

Cross overs or SUVs are popular because of the perception that they are safer, higher driving position

I like the exterior of my 2016GT better but the subtle changes on the interior of the 2018 look better.

I like the exterior of my 2016GT better but the subtle changes on the interior of the 2018 look better.

Agree on the exterior.
I have a 2017 GT with premium and tech, and I think it looks better on the outside than the 2018, especially the front end.
They took away the round fog lights at the bottom corners of the bumper, and discontinued the led strip around the front grill opening.
I also think the new interior has been dumbed down a bit. I prefer mine at the moment.
I don't like the new rims either btw. Prefer my 19" gun metal grey wheels instead.

Last edited:
Agree on the exterior.
I have a 2017 GT with premium and tech, and I think it looks better on the outside than the 2018, especially the front end.
They took away the round fog lights at the bottom corners of the bumper, and discontinued the led strip around the front grill opening.
I also think the new interior has been dumbed down a bit. I prefer mine at the moment.
I don't like the new rims either btw. Prefer my 19" gun metal grey wheels instead.

FYI - Fog lamps are now incorporated into the led headlights.

1. Mazda is totally content with making manuals, but they will discontinue them if a certain amount is not bought which im sure is what happened.

2. What is there to be dissapointed about? HP has little relevance in comparison to torque out in the real world. 310ft/lb of torque... at 2000RPM.. in a car weighing barely 3000lb.. that’s going to be fast. Very fast. I don’t see what your complaint is.

3. Your Mazda 3 is not designed to run on premium fuel which is why you felt no difference. The turbocharged version will be able to switch between the two. Im very, very impressed that Mazda managed to still maintain 310ft/lb of torque even with 87 octane fuel. That’s extremely impressive considering that octane levels affect precious torque so again I’m not sure what the fuss is about.

4. First model year for what? The 2018 model is simply an extensively revised version of the 2014-2017 version. The 2.5T has already been out for some time in the CX-9, so that’s not exactly a new engine either. No risk in buying the 2018 model.

Yes the Mazda skyactiv engines adjust for octane. It has been proven before by articles, and also dyno proven. But on a 150hp mazda3 you are not going to notice a big improvement but it is there. Since there is a lot of fuel left in the tank when you fill up, you have to run several tanks of PREMIUM to get rid of all the regular fuel, and feel the difference.

The CX-9 TURBO is the same as well, you will get MORE HORSE POWER with higher octane.

Yes the Mazda skyactiv engines adjust for octane. It has been proven before by articles, and also dyno proven. But on a 150hp mazda3 you are not going to notice a big improvement but it is there. Since there is a lot of fuel left in the tank when you fill up, you have to run several tanks of PREMIUM to get rid of all the regular fuel, and feel the difference.

The CX-9 TURBO is the same as well, you will get MORE HORSE POWER with higher octane.

The naturally aspirated skyactiv engines see absolutely zero benefit from a higher octane.

Back