Mazda6 Signature

As an owner of a mazda 6 GT Reserve, I don't notice this 3-4krpm thing at all. The engine is quick to rev up to 2krpms, almost like it had electrical power to get it up there, but once you are there it pulls evenly until 5krpms. And yes, it will break traction in 2nd gear, even with traction control on. I've only been driving it for 2 days and have been taking it easy, but yeah...extremely happy with the car.

I am tempted to trade in my '16 GT...... very tempting....
The 2.5 engine is relatively flat/weak between 2-3Krpm.

I am tempted to trade in my '16 GT...... very tempting....
The 2.5 engine is relatively flat/weak between 2-3Krpm.

Yes very tempting indeed...my CX9 with the 2.5T pulls strongly/evenly from 2k up to 4-5k rpms then tapers off after that but am sure way better than the NA 2.5L and is never flat/weak between the 2-3k rpms! Maybe that's the advantage of having the turbo... One time I floored it from dead stop at a light on the highway (in sport mode) and from 2krpm onwards I heard the turbo spool and kick in (with that subtle turbo whine) which was awesome! Left all the other vehicles behind btw (LOL)

If you compare them, Honda's 2.0T makes 252hp just because it revs to 6500rpm (peak) or higher.
How often does one do that on the streets?
Most drivers probably do not rev their engines beyond 4k rpm.
Our 2.5T peaks at 5000rpm.

Torque is much more usable on densely-populated town streets. I do occasionally rev my torque-challenged MX5 to 7000 RPM but the sound from its massive Magnaflow muffler tends to attract unwanted attention from police and soccer moms.

2018 Mazda 6 2.5T GT Wagon:

x58dnq.jpg

I would kill for that damned wagon.

Wrestling over Golf Sportwagen vs Mazda 3 right now. If I could get the 6 wagon here it wouldn't even be a contest.

Back