Mazda6 Signature

When Mazda said the 2.5T was made for the CX-9, they really meant it! Lots low low end torque to get a big truck moving. But that is not ideal in a sports sedan.
They aren't aiming for a sports sedan

Customers have been complaining about the 6 in terms of lacking HP/torque in order to compete with the Camrys and Accords to gain more sales...Mazda adds the 2.5T as an option in the higher trims yet still some complaints it doesn't deliver the power the way they want it. They update the interior giving it a more premium feel (GT reserve and Signature) from prev MYs yet still complaints about missing AA/AC and no pano roof. Now they added ventilated seats and heated steering wheel and other full suite of active safety systems yet still complaints that it is missing AWD.

Poor mpg they added cyl deactivation in the NA 2.5L engine, still compaints. They improved the NVH with more sound deadening materials and double pane windows and improved the HUD via windshield projection vs the old plastic folding up on the dash...still complaints about no fog lights and no 8/9-speed trans or manual trans. If and when they add the AA/AC and pano roof, people will still find something to complain about like the infotainment not intuitive and poor reliability and so on.

I think the problem with the 6 and Mazda in general is not really whether it is missing the features that customers look for since Mazda is trying and adding those so called features though they may not be complete but there are some features unique vs the Camrys and Accords yet sales are still dismal and people will just continue to hate/find something to complain about.

You look at the Camrys or Accords they are also missing certain features people want but yet sell in volumes. I think it is more the brand image and reputation that hurts the 6/Mazda as whatever they do (and they've thrown their best at it already given their smaller resources) sales will continue to remain dismal as it just deters people to even look at it or even consider it when purchasing their next vehicle. Mazda's marketing is also poor as well as their lacking dealer network.

You can have the best overall package and the best car like the 6 but nobody buys them due to those attributes I mentioned. If you think about it the 6 is one of the car industry's best car and kept secret (in the mainstream segment) if only shoppers paid attention to it. I like and support Mazda and am rooting for it to succeed as a company but they have to really dig deep and turn things around in order to be successful sales wise.

Last edited:
The 6 is a very nice yet mostly invisible sedan to the majority of shoppers due mostly to what was cited above. No doubt my brother owns his because I told him (true blue H guy for 20+ yrs) to just go check them out. A lot of buyers particularly upscale ones want if not demand awd these days(big part of suv craze and why i have one) so to me with Camry and Accord not playing in that space (yet) it could've been just the thing to set it apart and draw attention from not only those shoppers but also lower end 3 and a4 buyers. I mean why not make it a sports sedan? To me dropping in the 2.5t in cx9 stump pulling tune and no additional dynamic chops was lazy and clearly a missed opportunity but hey what do i know?

Well, the accord is not selling well at all and you can get a pretty good deal on them now. The Accord actually is staring to look inside like a Mazda 6 and that 2.0T engine is just fantastic. I would make the argument that both the Honda 1.5T and the 2.0T are vastly superior to any of the Mazda engines. The accord also handles really well but still not like a Mazda and is noisy. It also is chippy and you will get some torque steer. To get the better handling and less noise, you need to buy an Acura.

I have a feeling that once a tuner offers a chip or ECU mod to the 2.5T, the Mazda 6 will get better. But Mazda has set up the 2018 Mazda 6 Signature to be a Lexus ES350 (circa 2014) type car. Comfortable and controlled. This car is not a Stinger - which is unfortunately what a lot of people on these boards where hoping for.

Just had my test drive in a 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring.. Very impressed especially with the new Skyactiv Turbo and a quieter cabin than my 16 GT.

I would make the argument that both the Honda 1.5T and the 2.0T are vastly superior to any of the Mazda engines. The accord also handles really well but still not like a Mazda and is noisy. It also is chippy and you will get some torque steer.
I beg to differ on that remark regarding the Honda engines, especially that turd 1.5L turbo.
Check out the Honda forums, and the CR-V stop sale in China due to that POS engine.
Honda North America is also dealing with a growing backlash from customers with the oil dilution issues on that engine.
I'll take the Mazda 2.5 any day, thank you very much.

FYI, I got a call last week from my Mazda sales rep. They got a 2.5t 2018 6 delivered last week, and I've got a standing invite to go take it for a drive.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Customers have been complaining about the 6 in terms of lacking HP/torque in order to compete with the Camrys and Accords to gain more sales...Mazda adds the 2.5T as an option in the higher trims yet still some complaints it doesn't deliver the power the way they want it. They update the interior giving it a more premium feel (GT reserve and Signature) from prev MYs yet still complaints about missing AA/AC and no pano roof. Now they added ventilated seats and heated steering wheel and other full suite of active safety systems yet still complaints that it is missing AWD.

Poor mpg they added cyl deactivation in the NA 2.5L engine, still compaints. They improved the NVH with more sound deadening materials and double pane windows and improved the HUD via windshield projection vs the old plastic folding up on the dash...still complaints about no fog lights and no 8/9-speed trans or manual trans. If and when they add the AA/AC and pano roof, people will still find something to complain about like the infotainment not intuitive and poor reliability and so on.

I think the problem with the 6 and Mazda in general is not really whether it is missing the features that customers look for since Mazda is trying and adding those so called features though they may not be complete but there are some features unique vs the Camrys and Accords yet sales are still dismal and people will just continue to hate/find something to complain about.

You look at the Camrys or Accords they are also missing certain features people want but yet sell in volumes. I think it is more the brand image and reputation that hurts the 6/Mazda as whatever they do (and they've thrown their best at it already given their smaller resources) sales will continue to remain dismal as it just deters people to even look at it or even consider it when purchasing their next vehicle. Mazda's marketing is also poor as well as their lacking dealer network.

You can have the best overall package and the best car like the 6 but nobody buys them due to those attributes I mentioned. If you think about it the 6 is one of the car industry's best car and kept secret (in the mainstream segment) if only shoppers paid attention to it. I like and support Mazda and am rooting for it to succeed as a company but they have to really dig deep and turn things around in order to be successful sales wise.

They aren't aiming for massive sales. Take a look at this clip especially the later half where the Mazda rep is asked about sales figures

I beg to differ on that remark regarding the Honda engines, especially that turd 1.5L turbo.
Check out the Honda forums, and the CR-V stop sale in China due to that POS engine.
Honda North America is also dealing with a growing backlash from customers with the oil dilution issues on that engine.
I'll take the Mazda 2.5 any day, thank you very much.

FYI, I got a call last week from my Mazda sales rep. They got a 2.5t 2018 6 delivered last week, and I've got a standing invite to go take it for a drive.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Reliability is something that is unknown for many of these engines. People b**** and moan about everything on-line so I take that with a grain of salt. From statements that have been made, the issues are being addressed. I would recommend driving a car with a 1.5T or the 2.0T Honda engine. They are good engines.

Reliability is something that is unknown for many of these engines. People b**** and moan about everything on-line so I take that with a grain of salt. From statements that have been made, the issues are being addressed. I would recommend driving a car with a 1.5T or the 2.0T Honda engine. They are good engines.

This 1.5l turbo engine problem is a lot more serious than just a bunch of people bitching and moaning on a car forum.
This is one problem that can't just be dismissed with the wave of a hand.
Check out this article from carcomplaints.com.
Then check out the oil dilution thread on the CR-V forum. It is over 60 pages long.
That's hardly something to be taken with a grain of salt.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018/honda-cr-v-civic-high-oil-levels.shtml

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums...psa-potential-issue-watch-your-oil-level.html

I think traction is the limiting factor with the FWD Mazda6. That and the new CEO really wants a refined driving experience. Any hint of torque steer means an unrefined driving experience. As long as you still get the passing power at 70 mph and above (which is where the 2.5 NA engine runs out of steam), I'm fine if it doesn't push me back to the seats at lower RPM.

I think traction is the limiting factor with the FWD Mazda6. That and the new CEO really wants a refined driving experience. Any hint of torque steer means an unrefined driving experience. As long as you still get the passing power at 70 mph and above (which is where the 2.5 NA engine runs out of steam), I'm fine if it doesn't push me back to the seats at lower RPM.

Agreed. People have commented how there is zero torque steer and no wheel slippage (with dry roads). Heck I can feel some torque steer on my CX-5 (AWD) and on the CX-9 I test drove, so they must have worked incredibly hard to limit the sensation.

Agreed. People have commented how there is zero torque steer and no wheel slippage (with dry roads). Heck I can feel some torque steer on my CX-5 (AWD) and on the CX-9 I test drove, so they must have worked incredibly hard to limit the sensation.
The tune is more than likely neutered in the first 3 gears. Since it is still rated at 310 lb-ft of torque, my guess is you will only get the full 310 lb-ft when you're on fourth gear. Maybe on 3rd gear if they can manage the wheel spin somehow. I like to think that they're using a part of the g-vectoring control software/logic to instantly cut down on torque to smooth out power delivery.

Let's see how many more sales this update will bring.

Sad to say that here in Oz land, probably not much as SUV's and utes (pick-ups for you guys) dominate the landscape.

A couple of Canadian reviews:

Not the car itself but for the reviewers:

giphy.gif

The are very annoying

Nice review

I'm really torn about getting a CPO NA Mazda6, versus waiting a year or two so I can afford a turbo Mazda6. The more I read/see reviews about the 2018 turbo6, the more I like it. I'll try to hang on to my Speed3 till end of the year and re-evaluate my options haha.

Man, if wanted a 6 but not the 2.5T, I would get this:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/cars/430314-fs-2015-mazda6-touring-6mt-w-many-improvements.html

And no, I am not that guy but love the car!
Damn that's a good deal. Tastefully modded and the price is within my budget. The only thing is that it has a manual transmission. As much as I enjoy driving a manual, I need an auto for my commute nowadays. In the past, I could pick and choose when and what roads to drive on my for commute, so a manual transmission wasn't an issue. I don't have that flexibility now and so some days, I just get tired driving my Speed3 in traffic.

Back