2019 Subaru Ascent

Looks like a blown up Outback...you never know though even if styling is boring there are fans of Subaru with their symmetrical AWD system and if it has all those features (nevermind the driving dynamics) like pano roof, heated/ventilated seats, eyesight, etc then this could do well and might even better the CX9. The 2.4T flat engine might be good but again the CVT kills the enjoyment.

Atlas is not impressive to me. I have high regards for the safety ratings of Subaru. But even now I like a CX5 better than an outback. There could be many cars coming. Still Mazda has an unique place, I believe.

This vehicle could completely change the game for me. I certainly understand that the driving dynamics may not be as nice, and I am not a fan of a CVT - although if it gets the same or better mileage than the CX-9, I could live with it. The three key differentiators for me are 1) eight person seating; 2) the ability to get a panoramic sunroof without having to sit on animal skin, and 3) Apple CarPlay. The Subaru dealership network is not great, but it is slightly better than Mazda's dealership network in my area (western suburbs of Philadelphia).

This vehicle - if successful - is NOT good news for Mazda in the northeast/mid-Atlantic United States.

Externally it's big but total cargo volume, like the CX-9, is about 15% less than most of the competition and over 25% less than the Atlas and Traverse. If that's high on your list.

lets remember that all these cars are dull because the market segment is quite high on cars that are simple and functional.... typical example. Honda accord ... great sales .. yawhhnn car. so also remember that the mazda driver the audi driver the Porsche driver etc are segments or niches comformed by ppl that seek out of the ordinary.
Subaru is a company that has always tried to be different.. boxer engine... assymetrical awd.. etc ..... seems they are making a mistake..
that is one dull looking suv.. with a me too engine..

And now there's the RX 350L to join the fray and provide additional resistance to the CX-9 moving upmarket.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/29/2018-lexus-rx-350l-rx450hl-7-seat-37514/#slide-7165332
2018-lexus-rx-350l-rx450hl-7-seat-37514

My prediction is this is going to sell well for subaru...they may take away sales from existing Forester and Outback for those families looking for 7-8 seats but what it has going for them is even if Subaru came late to the party they capitalized on the strengths of their brand (AWD, eyesight, etc) and others; Highlander (8 seats, shelf by dashboard, reliability); Sorento/Santa Fe (large pano roof, tons of features,towing cap, etc.); Pilot (8 seats, AA & AC, infotainment, tons of cup holders and USB, etc); Explorer (remote-mobile access & capability); CX9 (luxe interior, driving dynamics, 4cyl T engine for better fuel economy, etc). Styling is still subjective but this looks more like function vs design...at end of day they tried as much to gather the strengths of the competition to come up with their own package.

A 2019 and it already looks dated and uninspired. Even happier about my CX-9.

I'm very happy with my CX-9 as well, but looking at what Subaru did, its clear this is more family friendly than anything Mazda has.

8 USB ports, WiFi, seating for 7 or 8 (captains chairs an option), 19 cup/bottle holders, standard EyeSight, standard AWD, one giant moon roof, Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto, 5,000 lb tow rating....all stuff FAMILIES care about.

So, I'll drive my 9 and be happy how it drives, but realize it is short on features, something heavily discussed by many here.

The CX-9 is still "driver focused" with the ability to seat 7. But, those other 6 passengers are cheated to an extent with other content.

Yes, the design is a yawn and has a CVT, but I bet this thing sell 4 times the amount the CX-9 will ever sell simply because it's well rounded and not a one trick pony.

I'm very happy with my CX-9 as well, but looking at what Subaru did, its clear this is more family friendly than anything Mazda has.

8 USB ports, WiFi, seating for 7 or 8 (captains chairs an option), 19 cup/bottle holders, standard EyeSight, standard AWD, one giant moon roof, Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto, 5,000 lb tow rating....all stuff FAMILIES care about.

So, I'll drive my 9 and be happy how it drives, but realize it is short on features, something heavily discussed by many here.

The CX-9 is still "driver focused" with the ability to seat 7. But, those other 6 passengers are cheated to an extent with other content.

Yes, the design is a yawn and has a CVT, but I bet this thing sell 4 times the amount the CX-9 will ever sell simply because it's well rounded and not a one trick pony.

I will share my story. Today we finalized on the cx9. But the dealers didn't offer good price and didn't feel comfortable dealing with them. So I test drove atlas. The sales person so good and I got enticed by the features like panaromic moon roof, Android auto etc. I didn't like the drive. Even though v 6 sounds better, the steering was small and overall size and weight is the enemy of handling. Then it had low mpg, sel trim is the equivalent of gt and costs 3000$ more than gt. And then I check pulse of recent owners. Most of the cx owners are so happy and atlas owners seems not happy with their purchase. Now, I am more confident to buy a cx 9 and going to give another offer to different dealer. But I agree Mazda has to improve the infotainment system, backup camera and provide Android auto, remote start and other creature comfort that is lacking.

Last edited:
Subaru wants to sell 60,000 per year in the US. Probably a stretch, but time will tell. It certainly looks like a Subaru, for better or for worse.

Too many red flags for me right now... brand new engine coupled to a CVT pushing a 4300 pound car.

Well to be fair, the CX-9 isn't just a one trick pony. While driving dynamics may be it's calling card, it also has the highest quality best looking interior, what most say is the best exterior design in class. It's the only vehicle in class that comes with a soul, standard.

Well to be fair, the CX-9 isn't just a one trick pony. While driving dynamics may be it's calling card, it also has the highest quality best looking interior, what most say is the best exterior design in class. It's the only vehicle in class that comes with a soul, standard.

It's also nice to be driving a vehicle not too common...something you don't see every 5mins on the road. This Subaru will sell well and will not stand out within the crowd as you'll see it every 5mins like the Highlander and Pilot

Agreed. The CX-9 is more like a work of art than anything else. Again, I own one and Im very happy with it.

From the looks of it, ther interior design of the Ascent does look on the lower end of this class. Cant speak for build quality and materials yet, but its not luxurious. Thats for sure.

Back