Messed up ABS wheel speed sensor?

doughboy52

Contributor
:
2013 CX-5 Touring FWD Sky Blue
I changed the front brake pads and rotors and rotated tires on my 2013. Drove the car to bed the brake pads, let the tires cool, then adjusted tire pressures and initialized the system. Next drive I got the TPMS light. Do I have the misuse prevention issue? Another possibility after thinking back on my work, I may have gotten sloppy and rested the caliper against a cable on the back side of the brakes/suspension that, from diagrams online, appears to be the ABS wheel speed sensor. Could that have busted an ABS wheel speed sensor? I didn't think I messed up anything with them, but I guess it's possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
My guess is if you really accidentally damaged ABS speed sensor, your ABS malfunction warning light should be on too. But if I remember correctly, the ABS sensor is not too expensive. You can always get one and try after all other checks such as loose connections are failed.

I've replaced two ABS sensors on a 130,000 mile Honda SUV. An absolutely pain in @&#!#!
Even after destroying the sensor to get it out of the hub, I still had to use a propane torch to fully clear it out.

A new low mileage truck should be easier, but I would prepare for the worst if you did it yourself.

My guess is if you really accidentally damaged ABS speed sensor, your ABS malfunction warning light should be on too. But if I remember correctly, the ABS sensor is not too expensive. You can always get one and try after all other checks such as loose connections are failed.

Thanks. You're right, I think the sensors are something like $30. I'm not getting any ABS errors, though, which is why I've somewhat doubted this as the issue. But the TPMS light just keeps coming on and I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks. You're right, I think the sensors are something like $30. I'm not getting any ABS errors, though, which is why I've somewhat doubted this as the issue. But the TPMS light just keeps coming on and I don't know what else it could be.

Just making sure you are following the correct procedure as found in this Mazda video on the TPMS reset.

maybe have a closer look at the cable and connection that you rested the caliper on. Sometimes, I would have to reset the system a few times before it would stop bothering me.

on 2013 you may have to reset TPMS several time to get over the error correction cycle...

Thanks, guys. It appears it was just the system having trouble re-learning properly. I kept trying and trying and finally tried hitting the button while I was cruising at highway speed and it never came back on after that. Its weird...Ive reset the system so many times after tire rotations or air adjustments, and its never given me fits before!

Latest posts

Back