Trailer hitch + bike rack

I don't know what the difference is. They are all of the same rating and same installation points.
personally I'd just buy the cheapest one available on sale.
I've bought for different cars between myself and friends all 3 brands and honestly could not tell a difference in the build quality.
It is just a chunk of welded metal.
Wonder if others had different experiences.
They’re not all the same. Hidden Hitch and Draw Tight (as well as Reese) are now all under one happy conglomerate family; HH and DT are indeed almost identical. Curt is still an independent shop and made in (usa)

Best thing to do, pretend you own a 2010 and 2012 Mazda5. Go to mfg website and download their install guide. You can see how they are attached to the car. Bumper covers are different (longer on 1gen) but attachment points are identical, because it is the same car. Go to etrailers as central source for pics.

You should also understand how a rack is attached to a hitch: push pin (shakes, rattles) or anti-rattle hitch pin (fancy way of saying screwed in tight - eliminate sway). This is also independent of lock or no lock option on the pin. On class 3+, it uses hallow 2” receivers so they insert a nut to catch a threaded bolt. Class 1-2 are 1.25”, which is solid. You can tap this to DIY anti rattle pin. The Softride racks (has pros and cons) come with ‘threaded’ 1.25” bar and anti rattle pin with a lock on it. The alternative is to add a stabilization strap to a push pin setup but given this cars weak hatch (1gen) and the spoiler in the way, there’s no where to mount it... so, IF you are going to carry a lot of weight, you don’t want leverage and you don’t want it moving around.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly for the detailed info

Much appreciated

Gonna do my homework over winter break
They’re not all the same. Hidden Hitch and Draw Tight (as well as Reese) are now all under one happy conglomerate family; HH and DT are indeed almost identical. Curt is still an independent shop and made in (usa)

Best thing to do, pretend you own a 2010 and 2012 Mazda5. Go to mfg website and download their install guide. You can see how they are attached to the car. Bumper covers are different (longer on 1gen) but attachment points are identical, because it is the same car. Go to etrailers as central source for pics.

You should also understand how a rack is attached to a hitch: push pin (shakes, rattles) or anti-rattle hitch pin (fancy way of saying screwed in tight - eliminate sway). This is also independent of lock or no lock option on the pin. On class 3+, it uses hallow 2” receivers so they insert a nut to catch a threaded bolt. Class 1-2 are 1.25”, which is solid. You can tap this to DIY anti rattle pin. The Softride racks (has pros and cons) come with ‘threaded’ 1.25” bar and anti rattle pin with a lock on it. The alternative is to add a stabilization strap to a push pin setup but given this cars weak hatch (1gen) and the spoiler in the way, there’s no where to mount it... so, IF you are going to carry a lot of weight, you don’t want leverage and you don’t want it moving around.

So how did this work out for you? I want to do the same thing: carry 4 bikes (2 adults and 2 kids) with my Mazda5.

So how did this work out for you? I want to do the same thing: carry 4 bikes (2 adults and 2 kids) with my Mazda5.

Worked out fantastic

On a 2200 mile road trip now

This website not letting me update pics from mobile

Will try to see if I can do it from a computer next few days

Just got home from 2200 mile road trip through mexico. 6 people. Full loaded roof rack and roof box 21 cubic feet. 24 MPG. Pics attached per your request

Attachments

• bike and roof.jpg
    bike and roof.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 236
  • E331A192-D1F6-47C1-BB04-28933471E907.jpeg
    E331A192-D1F6-47C1-BB04-28933471E907.jpeg
    763.1 KB · Views: 236
View attachment 218967

I had my wife take some pics before her bike ride.
Thank you, and your wife, for the pics. The rack tilt pic is what I wanted to see. The 4 cradles on the arm seem to be fixed and have straps for the top tube and vertical tube to keep it from swaying. The pic here shows the bike has rotated ~45 degree and stays perpendicular to the ground but the rack and cradles titled...? I expected to see the bike tilt with the rack. How does that work? Do you undo the vertical strap when you want to tilt it? Also, it is hard to lift it up and down with 4 bikes to access the hatch?

Thank you, and your wife, for the pics. The rack tilt pic is what I wanted to see. The 4 cradles on the arm seem to be fixed and have straps for the top tube and vertical tube to keep it from swaying. The pic here shows the bike has rotated ~45 degree and stays perpendicular to the ground but the rack and cradles titled...? I expected to see the bike tilt with the rack. How does that work? Do you undo the vertical strap when you want to tilt it? Also, it is hard to lift it up and down with 4 bikes to access the hatch?

I am in HK, on a project, otherwise I would give you all pics you asked for.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes the arms have straps for top and vertical tubes. Bikes don't sway at all. We did 2200 miles to Mexico and back with bikes, and it was fine.

2) The bike actually hasn't rotated at all. See the pic titled "Rack with bike" and you will see what I mean. Her bike frame is not straight. In order to put this bike on the rack, the bike is already titled in the regular rack position. When the rack is titled down, the bike stays in the position you hooked it up in, in this case, it was originally higher off the ground in the rear. In a regular mens frame bike, there is no tilt when you lower the rack.

3) If you undo the vertical strap, yes it will tilt perfectly, as you are suggesting. I don't think wife undid that at all. She did a quick pic, as I requested.

4) It is NOT hard to lift up and down with the bikes on. Of course it depends on your weight of the bikes. These bikes are pretty light and we haven't had any issues at all. We had to constantly access the hatch.

I am in HK, on a project, otherwise I would give you all pics you asked for.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes the arms have straps for top and vertical tubes. Bikes don't sway at all. We did 2200 miles to Mexico and back with bikes, and it was fine.

2) The bike actually hasn't rotated at all. See the pic titled "Rack with bike" and you will see what I mean. Her bike frame is not straight. In order to put this bike on the rack, the bike is already titled in the regular rack position. When the rack is titled down, the bike stays in the position you hooked it up in, in this case, it was originally higher off the ground in the rear. In a regular mens frame bike, there is no tilt when you lower the rack.

3) If you undo the vertical strap, yes it will tilt perfectly, as you are suggesting. I don't think wife undid that at all. She did a quick pic, as I requested.

4) It is NOT hard to lift up and down with the bikes on. Of course it depends on your weight of the bikes. These bikes are pretty light and we haven't had any issues at all. We had to constantly access the hatch.
I was expecting to see the bike tilt along the green line if you secured both horizontal and vertical straps, which would keep the bike parallel to the rack as it tilts down (bike would be slanted). Looking closer at the pic "hatch open", I see your wife did not secure the vertical strap (red circle) for the quick pic, which would explain how the bike is able to maintain perpendicular to the ground when the rack is tilted. Ultimately, if it is easy to life up/down, that is what matters most.
DYXla3C.jpg

I was expecting to see the bike tilt along the green line if you secured both horizontal and vertical straps, which would keep the bike parallel to the rack as it tilts down (bike would be slanted). Looking closer at the pic "hatch open", I see your wife did not secure the vertical strap (red circle) for the quick pic, which would explain how the bike is able to maintain perpendicular to the ground when the rack is tilted. Ultimately, if it is easy to life up/down, that is what matters most.
DYXla3C.jpg
correct

She didn’t use vertical strap

I ride 4 days a week

It’s the best setup I have had with the mazda5

Very pleased with it :)

Back