Trailer hitch + bike rack

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring
What is recommended trailer hitch you guys use?

I want to add a 4 bike rack to it

I am selling my truck so mazda5 needs to carry bikes

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Hitch max loading is 200 pounds. so depends on what 4 bikes plus the hitch itself gonna be.
Remember that they will be sticking out at the back, so I'd not load more then 125 pounds of weight when you find the individual weight of the items and add it all up.
You may consider carrying two on the back and two on the roof. Or all 4 on the roof as loading there is 175 pounds but bike there is more of a dead weight and the receiver (roof bike holder) is way lighter.
It also does not block your tailgate access.
If you are racing 15 pound bikes, you are all good any way you look at it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the help

Your link shows 06-10 Mazda 5

I have a 2012 mazda5. Will it work ?

My truck has a class 3 or 4 on it I cant remember

Doing some reading here seems our cars can only take class 1

Bikes are 21 lbs each

Appreciate the help

Can I use those racks that tilt down ?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Hitch max loading is 200 pounds. so depends on what 4 bikes plus the hitch itself gonna be.
Remember that they will be sticking out at the back, so I'd not load more then 125 pounds of weight when you find the individual weight of the items and add it all up.
You may consider carrying two on the back and two on the roof. Or all 4 on the roof as loading there is 175 pounds but bike there is more of a dead weight and the receiver (roof bike holder) is way lighter.
It also does not block your tailgate access.
If you are racing 15 pound bikes, you are all good any way you look at it.

Thank you

I am willing to get a new bike rack

Bike rack has to hold 4 bikes

Usually arent they 2 inch?

But the hitch are all 1inch ?

Is my understanding correct ?
We bought the Draw-Tite hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Draw-Tite/24773.html

Very pleased with it, although the holes in the crossmember had to be drilled out about 1/8" more than the instructions show (5/8" instead of 1/2").

What hitch size is your bike rack? You may need an adapter.

Thank you
Usually aren’t they 2 inch?
But the hitch are all 1inch ?
Is my understanding correct ?

Most bike racks are 2 inch as most of the hitches are two.
Also many (mine from Costco did) come with 1 to 2 inch adapters (1 and 1/4 to be exact)
I've had mine for years with out issues. It makes a little more rattling noise at the back due to clearances and one extra adapter but you can permanently weld the 1 to 2 inch adapter if you want a little less rattle.
You can also get anti rattle hinge pins. like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
There are many kinds of those things available.

Most bike racks are 2 inch as most of the hitches are two.
Also many (mine from Costco did) come with 1 to 2 inch adapters (1 and 1/4 to be exact)
I've had mine for years with out issues. It makes a little more rattling noise at the back due to clearances and one extra adapter but you can permanently weld the 1 to 2 inch adapter if you want a little less rattle.
You can also get anti rattle hinge pins. like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
There are many kinds of those things available.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Just remember that if you use an adapter to upsize your 1&1/4" hitch to a 2" hitch, it does not change the tongue weight that your class 1 hitch can safely carry. In fact, by adding the adapter and moving the weight further away from the hitch, you're actually increasing the leverage and decreasing the weight you can put on the hitch. It still cannot carry 4 adult sized bikes. By adding the adapter you do open up the the availability of potential 2-bike bike racks that will fit... just watch the weight as they'll be farther away generating more leverage.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am looking to do 2 adult bike and 2 kids bikes.

Just remember that if you use an adapter to upsize your 1&1/4" hitch to a 2" hitch, it does not change the tongue weight that your class 1 hitch can safely carry. In fact, by adding the adapter and moving the weight further away from the hitch, you're actually increasing the leverage and decreasing the weight you can put on the hitch. It still cannot carry 4 adult sized bikes. By adding the adapter you do open up the the availability of potential 2-bike bike racks that will fit... just watch the weight as they're be farther away generating more leverage.

Looks like this rack is a 1 1/4 in already and just has an adapter to 2 inch.
So it will be fine going directly into 1 1/4 and you will just not use an adapter.

Looks like this rack is a 1 1/4 in already and just has an adapter to 2 inch.
So it will be fine going directly into 1 1/4 and you will just not use an adapter.

GRACIAS AMIGO

Will order the rack.. Now just debating between CURT vs HIDDEN HITCH vs DRAW TITE

Was looking at the specs on the link you provided and just wanted to make sure you saw this:

"Note: You can only carry 2 bikes when using a Class I trailer hitch"

Was looking at the specs on the link you provided and just wanted to make sure you saw this:

"Note: You can only carry 2 bikes when using a Class I trailer hitch"
yes I did :)

Most of the 4 bike haulers when on a class 1, is reduced to “2bikes”

GRACIAS AMIGO

Will order the rack.. Now just debating between CURT vs HIDDEN HITCH vs DRAW TITE

I don't know what the difference is. They are all of the same rating and same installation points.
personally I'd just buy the cheapest one available on sale.
I've bought for different cars between myself and friends all 3 brands and honestly could not tell a difference in the build quality.
It is just a chunk of welded metal.
Wonder if others had different experiences.

I don't know what the difference is. They are all of the same rating and same installation points.
personally I'd just buy the cheapest one available on sale.
I've bought for different cars between myself and friends all 3 brands and honestly could not tell a difference in the build quality.
It is just a chunk of welded metal.
Wonder if others had different experiences.
thank you

It is my first purchase

All previous vehicles had oem hitch

After 6 years of owning the mazda5 time to put a hitch

If as you say all are same, I will check which is cheapest and easiest install

All previous vehicles had oem hitch
If as you say all are same, I will check which is cheapest and easiest install

Just watch the video on that install.
They are all the same to install. Drop the exhaust and attach to space behind it, enlarge the hole in a rail on the other side and screw it in.

Just watch the video on that install.
They are all the same to install. Drop the exhaust and attach to space behind it, enlarge the hole in a rail on the other side and screw it in.
Thank you

Back