2016 cx-9 muffler performance exhaust ideas

:
2016 cx-9 signature
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here first time posting. I Have a 2016 signature. Loving it so far and no problems at all. Only thing is the lack of aftermarket support for the cx-9 and that is true across the board for crossovers in general besides some floor mats n roof racks and I get it, it is a family hauler at the end of the day. But being a car guy and not wanting my cx-9 to be just like the one next door, I was hoping to find things that make it more exciting and one of the first thing I thought of is to make it louder! (Yes, I am one of those abnoxious neighbors that wake everyone up in the morning when I go to work:p)

I think the easiest thing would be to just weld on an aftermarket muffler from Borla or Magnaflow but I did see some after axle exhausts for cx 5 and I wonder if those fit with minor modifications.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Last edited:
grab some borla mufflers and call it a day.

or, have some custom downpipes fabricated and get an ECU tune. good sound and very good power gains.

How about this? We call it here "scav". It bypasses the stock exhaust. Opening the cover is through cable link but I'm thinking of spring activated. Or there's this exhaust brake used on trucks which is actually a valve controlled electrically.
bdadcda1450121d0e59fbb583370bba1.jpg

How about this? We call it here "scav". It bypasses the stock exhaust. Opening the cover is through cable link but I'm thinking of spring activated. Or there's this exhaust brake used on trucks which is actually a valve controlled electrically.
bdadcda1450121d0e59fbb583370bba1.jpg

The problem with this is that the ECU needs some time to adjust to different types of exhaust airflow, so the car wont be running optimally with the valve always opening and closing unless your ECU is tuned for it.

What sort of sound do you expect after the exhaust is homogenized in the turbocharger?

Dual exhaust from a single turbocharger is always good for a laugh. Money spent for nothing.

What sort of sound do you expect after the exhaust is homogenized in the turbocharger?

Dual exhaust from a single turbocharger is always good for a laugh. Money spent for nothing.

It'll likely be quiet since the turbo acts as a muffler itself, but effectively louder and more tuned than the stock exhaust (in theory anyway). It could be argued that just about any aftermarket part that replaces a useable stock part is "Money spent for nothing". I'm sure the person who spends their hard earned cash on this will appreciate it, even if others don't.

It'll likely be quiet since the turbo acts as a muffler itself, but effectively louder and more tuned than the stock exhaust (in theory anyway). It could be argued that just about any aftermarket part that replaces a useable stock part is "Money spent for nothing". I'm sure the person who spends their hard earned cash on this will appreciate it, even if others don't.

Yup, I'm not expecting to make this a sports car by any means and not everyone will agree with what I do with my car but hey it is my car and I do what makes me happy and sporty exhaust noises make me happy.(nana)(nana)(nana)

I hope there will be a corksport intake as well

no need. Mazda's stock intake is the best choice unless you are pushing 350+ HP.

what he said about the exhaust is partially right. it was wise of mazda to make a dual exhaust (because it creates backpressure at low rpm yet opens up better at higher RPM)

but in a turbo engine, the main sound and performance restrictor is within the cats (closer to where the turbo is so this is where I would start. get a custom made downpipe (or exhaust manifold, depending on where the turbo in your car is)

dual exhaust (because it creates backpressure at low rpm yet opens up better at higher RPM)
Huh? Backpressure is always bad. A properly tuned exhaust system has the lowest possible flow resistance plus correct length and diameter for the optimum sound pressure wave propagation at the desired rpms--which does not matter with a turbo, only flow resistance. And no way to "open up at higher rpms." The only reasons for duals are (a) marketing, and (b) smaller diameter for better ground clearance. There is no other reason especially after the exhaust sound pressure waves have been homogenized in the turbocharger.

Huh? Backpressure is always bad. A properly tuned exhaust system has the lowest possible flow resistance plus correct length and diameter for the optimum sound pressure wave propagation at the desired rpms--which does not matter with a turbo, only flow resistance. And no way to "open up at higher rpms." The only reasons for duals are (a) marketing, and (b) smaller diameter for better ground clearance. There is no other reason especially after the exhaust sound pressure waves have been homogenized in the turbocharger.

that is not entirely true. Back pressure is very useful for low RPM (below 2500-3000RPM) but once the engine is freely revving, the less backpressure the better.

Back