Intermittent start issues.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
Turn key to start and only about 30% of the time now it will actually turn over, otherwise nothing, no turn over, just click, nothing. A few times when it does turn over it doesn't take and putters out when I release the key. Other times it starts up just fine. Oddly seems less likely to turn over after the car has run for a bit. Last time I had to wait about 15-20 min before it would turn over. Battery is less than a year old. Seems it could be a few things; clutch sensor, fuse, ignition switch, etc. Just curious if this is a common enough issue someone might know the culprit.

I dealt with a similar issue earlier this year. Turn the key and nothing. I read a few threads about the ignition switch. Seemed likely considering it was intermittent but was starting to happen multiple times weekly. Local parts store had a starter in stock so i swapped that first. That fixed my issue. Fast forward like 3-4 months and it happened again. Did a quick test and found the battery had 12.7 volts sitting but dropped to 9.2 when i tried to crank. It magically took a crap over night! And only 2 years old too.
Pcb can prob post the test procedure for the clutch switch as i dont have one of those but start with simple tests of battery and clutch switch before dropping $100+ on a starter. Just dont rule it out because its intermittent

Remove the plastic around the steering column and wiggle the ignition switch on the left side when you turn the key. If it tries to crank when you move it around, replace it.

I had that problem on my car.

Thanks again. Gonna have the battery checked, the clutch switch and then ignition/starter. I do have a check engine light so perhaps a scanner will shed some light.

... found the battery had 12.7 volts sitting but dropped to 9.2 when i tried to crank. It magically took a crap over night! And only 2 years old too.

That is apparently normal and OK...
As long as the voltage stays above 8 Volts while cranking.

But,... If your voltage dropped to 9.2 Volts while the key was turned to start, that means the starter motor is drawing power.... If your engine wasn't turning over, I don't know if I'd blame the battery or the starter motor ??

Either way, you can do a simple test to see if the problem is in your starter control circuit or your starter/battery.

Just test the voltage right at the battery terminals...
If the voltage drops while holding the key at start position then your control circuit is working properly.

Screenshot_2017-11-28-02-00-09.png

Screenshot_2017-11-28-02-02-22.png

Testing your clutch switch (starter interlock switch) is easy... Just unplug it and test it with an ohmmeter.

PS... That clicking you hear near the passenger side foot well is not the starter solenoid...
When you turn your key to start position, all unnecessary electrical loads are turned off to save power for the starter motor... I'm pretty sure that's a relay turning stuff off.

Well with the help of a friend mechanic I sussed out the problem. After going over the battery and terminals the car wouldn't start. I waited 10 seconds and tried again and it did start. Turned it off and tried to start again, nothing. My friend then suggested wiggling the key in the start position. Sure enough it started. So it's the tumbler/ignition switch. So apparently replacing the tumbler is not that difficult but I was told I would need a new key set and get the info on the remote start RF (I don't have a FOB for it currently). Do I have to go through Mazda for this? What are my options? I know someone parting out a P5, can I use that switch or would there be an issue with getting keys?

Spoke to a mechanic over the phone and now I'm told it's an electrical part behind the tumbler that actually needs to be replaced.

I'm almost positive you don't need a new key or tumbler, just the ignition switch that MrGiggles spoke of.

Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-52-48.png

Ah that's it. I was quoted $140, don't think that even includes install. Gonna see if I can grab the part cheaper and get it done. Thanks.

You should be able to do that yourself...
Take the steering column covers off, remove a couple screws and the connector on the switch, plug in the new one and put it back together.

The price from Rockauto is in Canadian dollars but doesn't include tax or shipping.

You might be able to find something on EBay for cheaper..

That job is really easy... Should be like changing a lightbulb.

Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-09-06.png

Screenshot_2017-11-29-19-10-53.png

It's tight in there but not difficult.

I may have had to use a 90* screwdriver to get to a couple screws. Its been a couple years so I don't exactly remember.

I think I removed the bezel around the gauges as well.

I grabbed one from a junkyard for 20 bucks.

Well bought one from RockAuto for less than I can buy local here. The info you posted is helpful, thanks. I saw a Youtube video on installing it. Seems the biggest challenge is having a small enough screwdriver to get in there to remove the screw on the switch.

Well...It wasn't exactly as easy as changing a lightbulb but I got'r done. Yay did my first car repair myself! The car starts up every time now.

Actually,.. Changing the headlight bulbs on our car is a big PITA.
Changing your ignition switch might be easier to do...

Back