Changing Main Drive Belt

Zaphod

:
2007 Mazda CX-9 AWD
Couldn't find a proper howto on here, so I'm trying to go off of the factory service manual. Here's the steps they list:

1. Remove the engine cover. (See ENGINE COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [MZI-3.5].)
2. Remove the front wheel and tire (RH). (see GENERAL PROCEDURES (SUSPENSION). )
3. Remove the splash shield (RH).
4. Set a breaker bar on the center of the tensioner pulley as shown.
5. Using the breaker bar, turn the center of the tensioner pulley clockwise to release the tension on the generator and A/C drive belt.
6. Remove the generator and A/C drive belt.
NOTE: When removing the generator and A/C drive belt, perform the procedure with two people, one releasing the belt tension and the other removing the belt.
7. Install the generator and A/C drive belt.
Fig. 4: Setting Breaker Bar On Center Of Tensioner Pulley Courtesy of MAZDA MOTORS CORP.
8. Verify that the drive belt auto tensioner indicator mark is within the maximum and minimum belt length. (See DRIVE BELT INSPECTION [MZI-3.5].) If the drive belt auto tensioner indicator mark is not within the limit, replace the generator and A/C drive belt.
9. Install the splash shield (RH).
10. Install the front wheel and tire (RH). (see GENERAL PROCEDURES (SUSPENSION). )
11. Install the engine cover. (See ENGINE COVER REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [MZI-3.5].)

Seems like a fairly straight forward procedure that I shouldn't have too much issue with. Anyone else able to weigh in on anything I should be keeping an eye out for while I attempt this? Doesn't look like I'll need any special tools outside of sockets and a breaker bar. Anyone know the size of the tensioner bolt? I found a video on the cx-7 that said 14mm, but not sure if the cx-9 is the same

Also, what is the purpose of removing the front wheel? I assume they mean the one on the side of the belt (passenger). Is this so the car doesn't move when moving the tensioner?

And what is the splash shield? Wasn't able to find much info on what this and how I remove it?

Haven't done a serpentine belt in over ten years, and back then I was a teenager helping my dad, lol

Thanks for all your help! Always happy to save a little cash with the help of this community

Removing the wheel and the splash shield (aka the fender liner) is needed to access the front of the engine and the serpentine belt(s).

Removing the wheel and the splash shield (aka the fender liner) is needed to access the front of the engine and the serpentine belt(s).

Ok, starting to see that now. Does removing the splash shield also allow enough space to get to the tensioner pulley? And should the breaker bar come in from the top or bottom? I was looking at it earlier, and there doesn't appear to be enough space to fit the breaker bar in there

Any idea how long this kind of of job should typically take?

Back