Manual shift with automatic

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Am I the only one who thinks the manual shift pattern on the automatic is BACKWARDS?! (argh)

Nope.

Previous car was an Acura and it was the opposite.

Many here will say the Mazda pattern is the correct way to manually shift. BUT - old habits die hard.

Am I the only one who thinks the manual shift pattern on the automatic is BACKWARDS?! (argh)

Needs paddle shifters. Sport Mode is retarded, and the pattern on the manumatic stick is funky, whether it's backwards or not. Mazda really shoulda done paddles, here.

I think Mazda has it right, but if you are so inclined, you can swap the upshift/downshift wires if it really bothered you to the point where you could not adapt.

I added the PADDLE SHIFTERS, and they are perfect, I wouldn't change a thing.

It’s set up the same way as a sequential gear box in a Formula 1 & Indy cars before they went to paddle shifters..

It should be like this -- pull for up gear, push for down gear. Rally cars have it this way too.

Nope, same here. I've have multiple cars with manual shift and the CX-5 seems backward. When I use it (rarely) I always have to look down. If you've never owned a stick it probably doesn't matter since you have nothing to compare it against.

Upon further thought [ow, that hurts], I see why the Mazda way is "correct"-- it mimics a manual. Forward to downshift, back to upshift. But the last car I drove with that setup was a Hyundai [have mercy on me], and it was the opposite. It's just a matter of retraining. It REALLY sucks when you need to upshift and you shift down instead. Paddles are SO much better.

So the next question [and of course we can't speak for other companies] is: why do other manufacturers do it that way? Now I'm curious as to how many do it that way. I can vouch for Hyundai, and Acura was mentioned above.

Please post below if you've had a car with this type of auto/manual shifting-- the Mazda way, or the other way.

I personally think it has to do your body's inertia during shifting and the "ergonomic speed" in which gears need to be shifted up or down. I don't think manufacturers are arbitrarily choosing one way or the other. One way should be better for driving from a motion analysis perspective. This applies less to paddle shifters or putting around town but here it goes:

During acceleration, your body weight is shifted towards the back.. it is more controllable to be holding and/or pulling the gear lever, instead of trying to push it (as g-forces are already working to make it harder for you to reach and push things in front of you).
During braking, your body weight is shifting forward.. it's more controllable to keep pushing the gear lever forward to downshift (g-forces in this case helping you maintain contact with the gear lever).

Also, cars typically decelerate quicker than they can accelerate, meaning there is less time to perform downshifts versus upshifts. It seems easier and quicker to push/punch the gear lever to downshift -- you don't need to wrap your fingers around the lever to push/punch it, saving motion and time.

I personally think it has to do your body's inertia during shifting and the "ergonomic speed" in which gears need to be shifted up or down. I don't think manufacturers are arbitrarily choosing one way or the other. One way should be better for driving from a motion analysis perspective. This applies less to paddle shifters or putting around town but here it goes:

During acceleration, your body weight is shifted towards the back.. it is more controllable to be holding and/or pulling the gear lever, instead of trying to push it (as g-forces are already working to make it harder for you to reach and push things in front of you).
During braking, your body weight is shifting forward.. it's more controllable to keep pushing the gear lever forward to downshift (g-forces in this case helping you maintain contact with the gear lever).

Also, cars typically decelerate quicker than they can accelerate, meaning there is less time to perform downshifts versus upshifts. It seems easier and quicker to push/punch the gear lever to downshift -- you don't need to wrap your fingers around the lever to push/punch it, saving motion and time.

This!!!! My wifes old audi had it where you pushed forward to upshift and it always felt like I was fighting inertia of the car throwing back in the seat to get the upshift.

That's why some cars, especially in rally, have big paddles or even a complete ring around the steering column (instead of steering wheel mounted paddles).

Chris Atkinson and Subaru WRC 2006
https://youtu.be/JXeeCBOx2xU (about 0:44 in, video quality isn't great but this is over 10 years ago)

Notice how it's push to downshift, pull to upshift, with the e-brake a minimal amount of distance from the steering wheel.

Last edited:
I find it difficult to shift using paddles while turning.

Yes, that is a downfall with the wheel mount vs column count. This is why it is also nice to have the +- shift on the P-R-N-D stick as well. So this way you have another option while the steering wheel is doing some rotations.

I was treated to surprise down-shift when I switched from auto to manual one day going about 50km/hr. Not sure if it's a remnant from my previous experience with 'sport shift', but it did seem counter-intuitive to me. However, after giving it some thought, it does seem to make sense that you would shift toward yourself to shift up.

Back