Automatic wipers - yea or nay

Drove my new M6 GT in the rain for the first time today. (Didn't want to, but had no choice.)
I experimented with the auto wiper settings, and I thought it worked pretty darn well.
It varied the delay between wipes pretty much according to the rainfall, so I was impressed.
One time it actually kicked in to full time wipe at high speed. I wasn't expecting that.
It only did a couple of sweeps at high speed, and then went back to intermittent slow speed swiping. Kinda neat.

Maybe the one in the 6 works better (uhm)

There really shouldn't be any difference though....

Maybe the one in the 6 works better (uhm)

There really shouldn't be any difference though....
You may have hit the nail on the head. Just look at all the goodies Mazda6 has but not on the CX-5 ⋯

For example, it should be exactly the same on Bose system between 2016 Mazda6 and CX-5, but in fact Mazda eliminated two 1” tweeters in front dash on CX-5 although Bose engineers were against the idea of cost cutting!

Last edited:
I think you may hit the nail on the head. Just look at all the goodies Mazda6 has but not on the CX-5 ⋯

For example, it should be exactly the same on Bose system between 2016 Mazda6 and CX-5, but in fact Mazda eliminated two 1” tweeters in front dash on CX-5 although Bose engineers were against the idea of cost cutting!

Well when I eventually get my CX-5, I'll see how the auto wiper works

Maybe it's not calibrated properly for US weather conditions/market (uhm)

Honestly I think it's just the limitation of the tech. Unless they added in more sensitivity levels. If they turned down the sensitivity, people would complain that's it's not safe and doesn't turn on quickly enough. Plus, it's really hard to measure a sprinkle/drizzle. They're all somehow slightly different lol

Honestly I think it's just the limitation of the tech. Unless they added in more sensitivity levels. If they turned down the sensitivity, people would complain that's it's not safe and doesn't turn on quickly enough. Plus, it's really hard to measure a sprinkle/drizzle. They're all somehow slightly different lol

Could be but over here on my 6, it works ok. If it decides to do a couple of wipes then stop during decent rain, I just the frequency to very short and off it goes.

What puzzles me is that the sensitivity control seems to have no effect at all on mine. Yet, some report no problems. And indeed the people who have had good luck in this thread seem to be from anywhere except North America.

Does anyone know for sure if US and Canadian CX-5s are identical? (huh)

What puzzles me is that the sensitivity control seems to have no effect at all on mine. Yet, some report no problems. And indeed the people who have had good luck in this thread seem to be from anywhere except North America.

Sounds like a limitation from Mazda NO HQ

It definitely changes things for me when I adjust my sensitivity. But for the worse. So I just leave it at the lowest? setting.

How are you attempting to adjust the sensors sensitivity? Is it done through the head unit?

Be sure that you are not using the variable adjustment on the wiper stalk isn't that for the DELAY between wipes for the intermittent INT?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back