why i purchased a cx9 ?? :)

Hi guys - as a former GM Engineer who worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren Michigan for 33 years I am a car nut. I tell you this to prepare you for my lengthily reply!

I am a 1-week owner of a new 2018 Red GT - (I got dark tint on all the windows and it looks fantastic!).

I absolutely LOVE the Radar Cruise Control, I immediately used it on I-75 driving- it works perfect!

Even better, on our tiny island (Siesta Key), our only main road is packed with tourists crawling along, bumper to bumper at 10, 15, 20, 25 MPH endlessly stopping, etc. The Radar Cruise follows them perfectly; all stop and go, so automatic and relatively smooth!

Now the only thing missing is semi-autonomous steering (Lane Keeping Assist that keeps you in the center of the lane so that you never even approach the lane markers (and need to be steered back toward the center.)

FYI I was very undecided about purchasing this Mazda, I was really tore between it and the new XC60 Volvo. Why? Because Volvo has BOTH Radar Cruise Control (That seems to work exactly like Mazdas), and PILOT ASSIST.

Volvos PILOT ASSIST (Which I test drove twice), is really incredible, it just keeps you perfectly in the center of the lane. It is (I guess), almost as good as Teslas (Who everyone agrees is the best semi-autonomous vehicle).

So why did I not buy a Volvo? Mainly because one with Pilot Assist costs about $12,000 more than my Mazda, and because of many other things I didnt like about it. For example

It has almost no actual buttons; everything is touch-screen on their giant tablet. (They do not have the Command Control knob & buttons like the Mazda has to control that screen). Just to change the temperature you have to use the touch screen (which misses about every other touch). And that 8 gear automatic transmission is jerky at slow speeds, not smooth!

Anyway, back to my new Mazda. I have followed the discussions on the internet Mazda forums for years as they discussed in detail, every tiny issue. (I dont know if Mazda engineers read these forums, but they should. Just about everything they say about the 2016,2017,2018 CX-9s I find very accurate.

Heres some of my thoughts on my 2014 CX-9 GT I traded in and 2018 CX-9s.

This 2018 is so much better in so many ways that I am very pleased with it, yet

When I bought my 2014 and drove it home, I was blinded by the refection of the sun on the dashboard. (The dealer had put that shinny treatment on the dash).
After I cleaned it, it was better, but still always somewhat a problem.

Clearly Mazda tried to improve that dash with the absolutely dull black finish in the 16-18s that fully solves the reflection problem, BUT as some form members have noticed, it really soaks up the sunlight and becomes very hot. (And it stays very hot for a fairly long time, not helping the AC)! Since I am in covered parking, this will not be a problem, and Ill likely get a reflection cardboard to cover it when I leave it in the sun.

And speaking of the Air Conditioning, yes I have to agree with forum members that the AC is not as good as the older models, it certainly is not as powerful as my 2014 was. (I was hoping that by now the Mazda guys would have realized this and improved it for 2018, but it seems not).

Please dont mis-understand me, Im sure the AC will prove adequate for Florida, (Not sure about Arizona owners?). Likely only previous CX-9 owners will notice.
(In retrospect, my CX-9s AC was without a doubt the best AC in any of the hundreds of vehicles Ive owned.)

BUT theres some much to LOVE about my new Mazda! (I am thrilled with it)!

I love the way it looks (Exterior and Interior), they hit a home-run!
I love the way it feels to drive it, quieter and (slightly) softer than my 2014.
I love the steering wheel feel. (And its heat on chilly mornings)
I love the Heads up display especially because it displays the Blind-spot info!
I love the Heads up display because it DOES NOT DISPLAY A USELESS tachometer.
I love the front parking assist (and of course the rear one, which I had before)
I love the way it locks itself when I leave.
I love the Bose Sound System Bass, but as others have said, it could use more treble.
I love the Radar Cruise (and to a lesser extent, the Lane Keep Assist)
I love the new engine (and the 6 speed (SMOOTH) Transmission. (I also tested a 9 speed Honda Pilot and couldnt live with that jerkyness).
I love that it can COAST. (Important for good gas mileage). One thing I hated about my 2014 was you see a red light ahead and let-up on the gas. It immediately starts dragging your speed down, uselessly down shifts adding more drag, it would never simply coast the 2018 coasts much better!
Finally I LOVE getting 24-25 mpg on regular! (The Volvo REQUIRED PREMIUM- I just knew that would drive me crazy at every gas stop)!

Nice post BTW ... I work next door TACOM LCMC.

Last edited:
Hi guys - as a former GM Engineer who worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren Michigan for 33 years I am a car nut. I tell you this to prepare you for my lengthily reply!

I am a 1-week owner of a new 2018 Red GT - (I got dark tint on all the windows and it looks fantastic!).

I absolutely LOVE the Radar Cruise Control, I immediately used it on I-75 driving- it works perfect!

Even better, on our tiny island (Siesta Key), our only main road is packed with tourists crawling along, bumper to bumper at 10, 15, 20, 25 MPH endlessly stopping, etc. The Radar Cruise follows them perfectly; all stop and go, so automatic and relatively smooth!

Now the only thing missing is semi-autonomous steering (Lane Keeping Assist that keeps you in the center of the lane so that you never even approach the lane markers (and need to be steered back toward the center.)

FYI I was very undecided about purchasing this Mazda, I was really tore between it and the new XC60 Volvo. Why? Because Volvo has BOTH Radar Cruise Control (That seems to work exactly like Mazdas), and PILOT ASSIST.

Volvos PILOT ASSIST (Which I test drove twice), is really incredible, it just keeps you perfectly in the center of the lane. It is (I guess), almost as good as Teslas (Who everyone agrees is the best semi-autonomous vehicle).

So why did I not buy a Volvo? Mainly because one with Pilot Assist costs about $12,000 more than my Mazda, and because of many other things I didnt like about it. For example

It has almost no actual buttons; everything is touch-screen on their giant tablet. (They do not have the Command Control knob & buttons like the Mazda has to control that screen). Just to change the temperature you have to use the touch screen (which misses about every other touch). And that 8 gear automatic transmission is jerky at slow speeds, not smooth!

Anyway, back to my new Mazda. I have followed the discussions on the internet Mazda forums for years as they discussed in detail, every tiny issue. (I dont know if Mazda engineers read these forums, but they should. Just about everything they say about the 2016,2017,2018 CX-9s I find very accurate.

Heres some of my thoughts on my 2014 CX-9 GT I traded in and 2018 CX-9s.

This 2018 is so much better in so many ways that I am very pleased with it, yet

When I bought my 2014 and drove it home, I was blinded by the refection of the sun on the dashboard. (The dealer had put that shinny treatment on the dash).

Clearly Mazda tried to improve that dash with the absolutely dull black finish in the 16-18s that fully solves the reflection problem, BUT as some form members have noticed, it really soaks up the sunlight and becomes very hot. (And it stays very hot for a fairly long time, not helping the AC)! Since I am in covered parking, this will not be a problem, and Ill likely get a reflection cardboard to cover it when I leave it in the sun.

And speaking of the Air Conditioning, yes I have to agree with forum members that the AC is not as good as the older models, it certainly is not as powerful as my 2014 was. (I was hoping that by now the Mazda guys would have realized this and improved it for 2018, but it seems not).

Please dont mis-understand me, Im sure the AC will prove adequate for Florida, (Not sure about Arizona owners?). Likely only previous CX-9 owners will notice.
(In retrospect, my CX-9s AC was without a doubt the best AC in any of the hundreds of vehicles Ive owned.)

BUT theres some much to LOVE about my new Mazda! (I am thrilled with it)!

I love the way it feels to drive it, quieter and (slightly) softer than my 2014.
I love the Heads up display especially because it displays the Blind-spot info!
I love the Heads up display because it DOES NOT DISPLAY A USELESS tachometer.
I love the front parking assist (and of course the rear one, which I had before)
I love the Bose Sound System Bass, but as others have said, it could use more treble.
I love the Radar Cruise (and to a lesser extent, the Lane Keep Assist)
I love the new engine (and the 6 speed (SMOOTH) Transmission. (I also tested a 9 speed Honda Pilot and couldnt live with that jerkyness).
I love that it can COAST. (Important for good gas mileage). One thing I hated about my 2014 was you see a red light ahead and let-up on the gas. It immediately starts dragging your speed down, uselessly down shifts adding more drag, it would never simply coast the 2018 coasts much better!
Finally I LOVE getting 24-25 mpg on regular! (The Volvo REQUIRED PREMIUM- I just knew that would drive me crazy at every gas stop)!

Glad you like your new ride and thanks for the detailed post.

Regarding Pilot Assist, I have a friend that knows a guy who has it. That guy now keeps it shut off because at times, his car was getting creamed hitting potholes... a direct hit LoL!

Hi guys - as a former GM Engineer who worked at the GM Tech Center in Warren Michigan for 33 years – I am a “car nut”. I tell you this to prepare you for my lengthily reply!

Even better, on our tiny island (Siesta Key), our only main road is packed with tourists crawling along, bumper to bumper at 10, 15, 20, 25 MPH – endlessly stopping, etc. The Radar Cruise follows them perfectly; all stop and go, so automatic and relatively smooth!

Now the only thing missing is “semi-autonomous steering” (Lane Keeping Assist that keeps you in the center of the lane so that you never even approach the lane markers (and need to be steered back toward the center.)

FYI – I was very undecided about purchasing this Mazda, I was really tore between it and the new XC60 Volvo. Why? Because Volvo has BOTH Radar Cruise Control (That seems to work exactly like Mazda’s), and PILOT ASSIST.

Volvo’s PILOT ASSIST (Which I test drove twice), is really incredible, it just keeps you perfectly in the center of the lane. It is (I guess), almost as good as Tesla’s (Who everyone agrees is the best “semi-autonomous” vehicle).

So why did I not buy a Volvo? Mainly because one with Pilot Assist costs about $12,000 more than my Mazda, and because of many other things I didn’t like about it. For example…

It has almost no actual buttons; everything is “touch-screen” on their giant tablet. (They do not have the Command Control knob & buttons like the Mazda has to control that screen). Just to change the temperature you have to use the touch screen (which misses about every other touch). And that 8 gear automatic transmission is jerky at slow speeds, not smooth!

Anyway, back to my new Mazda. I have followed the discussions on the internet Mazda forums for years as they discussed in detail, every tiny issue. (I don’t know if Mazda engineers read these forums, but they should. Just about everything they say about the 2016,2017,2018 CX-9’s I find very accurate.

Here’s some of my thoughts on my 2014 CX-9 GT I traded in and 2018 CX-9’s.

This 2018 is so much better in so many ways that I am very pleased with it, yet…

Clearly Mazda tried to improve that dash with the absolutely dull black finish in the 16-18’s that fully solves the reflection problem, BUT as some form members have noticed, it really soaks up the sunlight and becomes very hot. (And it stays very hot for a fairly long time, not helping the AC)! Since I am in covered parking, this will not be a problem, and I’ll likely get a reflection cardboard to cover it when I leave it in the sun.

Please don’t mis-understand me, I’m sure the AC will prove adequate for Florida, (Not sure about Arizona owners?). Likely only previous CX-9 owners will notice.
(In retrospect, my CX-9’s AC was without a doubt the best AC in any of the hundreds of vehicles I’ve owned.)

BUT there’s some much to LOVE about my new Mazda! (I am thrilled with it)!

I love the Heads up display – especially because it displays the Blind-spot info!
I love the Heads up display – because it DOES NOT DISPLAY A USELESS tachometer.
I love the front parking assist – (and of course the rear one, which I had before)
I love the Radar Cruise – (and to a lesser extent, the Lane Keep Assist)
I love the new engine (and the 6 speed (SMOOTH) Transmission. (I also tested a 9 speed Honda Pilot and couldn’t live with that jerkyness).
I love that it can COAST. (Important for good gas mileage). One thing I hated about my 2014 was you see a red light ahead and let-up on the gas. It immediately starts dragging your speed down, uselessly down shifts adding more drag, it would never simply “coast” – the 2018 coasts much better!

Hey , that was a detailed post... !
and I agree on every point you have made, although in my country the pilot assistant ( if its called that way) isn't available so I cant say anything about it. on the treble side of the bose system , I have to say that I have never been a fan of Bose but I also have to agree that the treble will always be "dampened" by the bass, as more bass we over amplify , the treble will disappear, lately we are over amplifying some sounds so we make the music have more impact. so whay I'm saying is .. lower the bass lol .

Every day I can , I'm enjoying my wifes cx9 .. its really a joy to drive.

I live in a country that heat doesn't go further than 33 C ( 91 F) and the ac works quite well, what I have noticed is that usually the vents that are in the front ( center) usually are positioned to go to the back , but the back has its own vents so I suggest u position these front center vents to the front occupants, the other thing I have noticed is that the side front vents go directly to the back , so at the end I have heard my kids complaining that the back is freezing while in the front its not that cold.. I guess its all about positioning the vents in a correct way.. seems mazda has its own way about doing things .. and some times we are used to other ways..
M

Back