CX-9 least reliable on Consumer Reports

They are not. I am no Toyota fanboy and have owned 3 and may not own another one as they are dull and cheap cars. It’s the fixable vs unfixables.

You guys esp the ones who look like are just trolling in this forum are blowing this infotainment issue/reliability out of proportion. You will see gripes and complaints in forums and may seem a lot but you don't hear from owners who have no issues therefore just focusing on the negatives. I suggest to look at facts instead of reading just several posts on this forum then blowing it up and generalizing and passing on judgement.

How many in total were the documented-reported issues? 20, 30, 50, 100? And out of what? CX9s sell on ave 2-3K units per month since launch in US and 15% of that in Canada. If you run simple math, for all we know the total issues only amounted to less than 10%! Maybe huge to some by their standards maybe low to others but don't forget no manufacturer is perfect even the so called bullet proof brands like Toyota, Lexus and Porsche have their own issues as well.

Trolling the forum? Put on some big boy pants. Nobody is trolling the forum...

Head on over here for some facts:
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ect-infotainment-review-car-and-driver-page-6

Scroll down a little. Behold the chart that calls the CX9's infotainment performance "poor". Notice the other vehicles. They aren't rated "poor". Even a Ford with the notoriously laggy Sync system rated higher. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm hoping they've actually fixed this, but I just don't know. The review implies that nothing has changed with the systems since 2016. Granted, it is from earlier this year, so things may have changed. I was following the other thread that was tracking the updates, but it seemed to peter out without any resolution. The systems were laggy and crashed a lot when they were first released. The updates seemed to be hit or miss. And still no carplay/android auto.

I understand this is an enthusiast forum - I own a last-gen. But come on, there are issues with this stuff that need to be fixed.

Trolling the forum? Put on some big boy pants. Nobody is trolling the forum...

Head on over here for some facts:
https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ect-infotainment-review-car-and-driver-page-6

Scroll down a little. Behold the chart that calls the CX9's infotainment performance "poor". Notice the other vehicles. They aren't rated "poor". Even a Ford with the notoriously laggy Sync system rated higher. This is what I'm talking about.

I'm hoping they've actually fixed this, but I just don't know. The review implies that nothing has changed with the systems since 2016. Granted, it is from earlier this year, so things may have changed. I was following the other thread that was tracking the updates, but it seemed to peter out without any resolution. The systems were laggy and crashed a lot when they were first released. The updates seemed to be hit or miss. And still no carplay/android auto.

I understand this is an enthusiast forum - I own a last-gen. But come on, there are issues with this stuff that need to be fixed.

Dude I didn't call you out nor single you out but trust me there are some who are trolling on here and have been for sometime now...if you think it's not you then it's not you but just be wary about what you post

While the infotainment system is not perfect it may be slow for a lot of people but facts are facts...there have been reported issues but the ones not reported never get to be posted on this forum - I think the main complaint here is that the response times are slow by industry standards and that the freezing/rebooting issues are frequent to the point of hardware units being replaced and firware updates not fixing the issues.

I personally own a CX9 and never had the so-called issues - maybe I'm lucky just like the others have posted recently but not so much the majority esp MY2016s. I also owned a Ford and their infotainment system (Sync) also had issues.

I agree that the Mazda's infotainment system needs to be fixed but it is an older Linux based system and just needs total replacement and upgrading with inclusion of the Android Auto/Apple Carplay that most people are looking for. However, us owners will have to go by what Mazda has provided and while that deters some potential owners I'm sure that Mazda is not just sitting down doing nothing. For all we know they are figuring out the future plans for their infotainment system going forward - maybe just maybe not their #1 priority right now.

You guys esp the ones who look like are just trolling in this forum are blowing this infotainment issue/reliability out of proportion. You will see gripes and complaints in forums and may seem a lot but you don't hear from owners who have no issues therefore just focusing on the negatives. I suggest to look at facts instead of reading just several posts on this forum then blowing it up and generalizing and passing on judgement.

How many in total were the documented-reported issues? 20, 30, 50, 100? And out of what? CX9s sell on ave 2-3K units per month since launch in US and 15% of that in Canada. If you run simple math, for all we know the total issues only amounted to less than 10%! Maybe huge to some by their standards maybe low to others but don't forget no manufacturer is perfect even the so called bullet proof brands like Toyota, Lexus and Porsche have their own issues as well.

Absolutely true that on-line forums are more likely to have complaints posted. That's where outside sources like CR come in--and when they publish a reliability rating of 20, personally, it gives me pause to just blow off the forum posts. But I'm not in the market until at least next summer, so for me, I'll have more data by then.

Dude I didn't call you out nor single you out but trust me there are some who are trolling on here and have been for sometime now...if you think it's not you then it's not you but just be wary about what you post

While the infotainment system is not perfect it may be slow for a lot of people but facts are facts...there have been reported issues but the ones not reported never get to be posted on this forum - I think the main complaint here is that the response times are slow by industry standards and that the freezing/rebooting issues are frequent to the point of hardware units being replaced and firware updates not fixing the issues.

I personally own a CX9 and never had the so-called issues - maybe I'm lucky just like the others have posted recently but not so much the majority esp MY2016s. I also owned a Ford and their infotainment system (Sync) also had issues.

I agree that the Mazda's infotainment system needs to be fixed but it is an older Linux based system and just needs total replacement and upgrading with inclusion of the Android Auto/Apple Carplay that most people are looking for. However, us owners will have to go by what Mazda has provided and while that deters some potential owners I'm sure that Mazda is not just sitting down doing nothing. For all we know they are figuring out the future plans for their infotainment system going forward - maybe just maybe not their #1 priority right now.

If "facts are facts"--then what are the facts? Unless you are holding data from Mazda on the number of repairs and reported complaints on the CX-9, you aren't in any better position to declare the scope of the problem then anyone else here who is raising a concern.

Except that you have CR, C&D and other impartial sources actually saying it's a known problem. Which seems more of a fact than your diagnosis that the infotaimnent is fine.

Last edited:
Absolutely true that on-line forums are more likely to have complaints posted. That's where outside sources like CR come in--and when they publish a reliability rating of 20, personally, it gives me pause to just blow off the forum posts. But I'm not in the market until at least next summer, so for me, I'll have more data by then.

If "facts are facts"--then what are the facts? Unless you are holding data from Mazda on the number of repairs and reported complaints on the CX-9, you aren't in any better position to declare the scope of the problem then anyone else here who is raising a concern.

Except that you have CR, C&D and other impartial sources actually saying it's a known problem. Which seems more of a fact than your diagnosis that the infotaimnent is fine.

That is what I would really be more interested in basically are the facts or numbers gathered by Mazda from dealerships than rants from this forum. Unfortunately we don't have that data that's why I always take everything posted in forums with a grain of salt. Sure C&D, CR reports and other sites may have some data but they're not as substantial in numbers like what Mazda as a company would have. These reports from other sites and sources may prove to have significant sample sizes that may be enough to realize there are issues and therefore can criticize but are the real numbers from Mazda enough to prove a recall is needed for the CX9s? Remember that this infotainment system is also used in their other models therefore a recall would be issued if the rate becomes really alarming.

Speaking of infotainment system problems, add my car to the list.

I have a service appt next week due to repeated display failures.

This is the first (and so far only), problem since I bought the car, but this single problem is already one more than the problems I had with the car this one replaced (Toyota Sequoia), over a ten year period.

I'm thinking the CR reliability rating is accurate.

Speaking of infotainment system problems, add my car to the list.

I have a service appt next week due to repeated display failures.

This is the first (and so far only), problem since I bought the car, but this single problem is already one more than the problems I had with the car this one replaced (Toyota Sequoia), over a ten year period.

I'm thinking the CR reliability rating is accurate.
Little more patience please. Mazdas are not that bad car giving major issues every year. My mpv gave trouble once in a while. Still not bad. My Mazda3 7 years 75k miles no issues

You are talking about old dated models. In today’s age it’s the electronics reliability that is paramount. Drivetrain reliability is a given.

The fact that mazda still doesn’t have a fix after so many years for the system is what is driving the reliability down. Remember this infotainment debuted in the 2014 Mazda 3.

Add to that the previous system that it replaced that is my current Mazda 6 also has a lot of issues.

That is what I would really be more interested in basically are the facts or numbers gathered by Mazda from dealerships than rants from this forum. Unfortunately we don't have that data that's why I always take everything posted in forums with a grain of salt. Sure C&D, CR reports and other sites may have some data but they're not as substantial in numbers like what Mazda as a company would have. These reports from other sites and sources may prove to have significant sample sizes that may be enough to realize there are issues and therefore can criticize but are the real numbers from Mazda enough to prove a recall is needed for the CX9s? Remember that this infotainment system is also used in their other models therefore a recall would be issued if the rate becomes really alarming.

There will never be a recall for the infotainment issue - NHTSA only has the power to require a recall if the defect is a "safety issue". This issue won't ever reach that status. The only way Mazda will do anything is if a law firm starts a class action lawsuit.

There will never be a recall for the infotainment issue - NHTSA only has the power to require a recall if the defect is a "safety issue". This issue won't ever reach that status. The only way Mazda will do anything is if a law firm starts a class action lawsuit.

I agree. In addition, a recall would necessitate all affected owners having to bring their car back to the dealer for diagnosis. This might become a TSB issue.

A TSB recall/repair campaign was what I meant not a NHTSA...

You are talking about old dated models. In today’s age it’s the electronics reliability that is paramount. Drivetrain reliability is a given.

The fact that mazda still doesn’t have a fix after so many years for the system is what is driving the reliability down. Remember this infotainment debuted in the 2014 Mazda 3.

Add to that the previous system that it replaced that is my current Mazda 6 also has a lot of issues.

Drivetrain reliability isn't a given in today's vehicles, mainly because of all the new technologies being implemented to squeeze out more mpg. 8-10 speed transmissions, CVTs, have had lots of problems across automakers.

We don’t even talk about those with the bad ZF transmission. Though it is working well in the Pacifica. Pilot sucks.

For today, if the biggest issues I can b**** about are glitchy software and what CR thinks, I'm thankful for a 2nd gen, third year CX-9.

You've been to the other forums... Droning noises, problematic shifting, interior body integrity that's shi*... it's madness in there! LoL

One of the major issues I have with Consumer Reports is their methodology. They send out surveys to their subscribers and ask about the problems they've had. CR subscribers are not a random selection of Mazda CX-9 (or any other owner). The demographics of CR subscribers does not reflect the age, wealth, racial, gender or any other attribute of the US population - CR's subscribers are whiter and richer than the US population as a whole. A better methodology would be to request from DMVs a random sample of owners of various models, and to send those owners a detailed survey questionnaire about their ownership experience. It is hardly surprising, given the demographics and survey style, that infotainment issues are the highest priority.

When I am selecting a motor vehicle, the infotainment system is on a secondary list of nice to haves. I am much more interested in how the drivetrain and major components are going to hold up during my expected ten years of ownership, rather than an infotainment system that will be obsolete in two years - after all I can buy a new smart phone and a Bluetooth speaker fairly easily.

As an avid reader of Consumer Report for over 30 years, I found that after the 90's and the Internet explosion, they are not a good bellwether - subscribers of CR are a biased bunch, as noted before.

Better off doing an internet search to get the 80% answer.

As an avid reader of Consumer Report for over 30 years, I found that after the 90's and the Internet explosion, they are not a good bellwether - subscribers of CR are a biased bunch, as noted before.

Better off doing an internet search to get the 80% answer.

This CX-9 reporting is an example of how off base they can be. We all know the CX-9 isn't the worse or near the worse for reliability, that's ludicrous. Sadly, people will see it and write off the Mazda and not consider it. CR effects billions of dollars in the economy just from what they publish, best they get it right.

Hope people spend more time listening to real owners on forums like these. As well as publications that actually own models for long term testing. For example Car and Driver currently has a 2016 CX-9 with over 25K on it, no problems.

This CX-9 reporting is an example of how off base they can be. We all know the CX-9 isn't the worse or near the worse for reliability, that's ludicrous. Sadly, people will see it and write off the Mazda and not consider it. CR effects billions of dollars in the economy just from what they publish, best they get it right.

Hope people spend more time listening to real owners on forums like these. As well as publications that actually own models for long term testing. For example Car and Driver currently has a 2016 CX-9 with over 25K on it, no problems.
CR is all about practicality, if you want a plain vanilla vehicle read away. For passion, I turn to C&D. Years ago, when I started motorcycling, one of the bike mags wrote a piece that panned CR saying they found motorcycles unsafe because left on their own they fall over.

Back