How do you pronounce Mazda?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
I've heard some folks, particularly people who work for Mazda says diffently then I do. I say: Mahz-da. The A Being more of an ah sound. I keep hearing other people say it like...hard to describe exactly. I think a good example is like the MA in MATCH. MA-zda.

I've heard some folks, particularly people who work for Mazda says diffently then I do. I say: Mahz-da. The A Being more of an ah sound. I keep hearing other people say it like...hard to describe exactly. I think a good example is like the MA in MATCH. MA-zda.
I pronounce it Mazda.

Chris is correct.
Ma-tsu-da is closest to Japanese pronunciation.
The company changed the English spelling to Mazda to make it simpler and maybe for other reasons.

Australian's say it this way - no ah sound

0:00 to 0:01 seconds & 0:40 to 0:41 seconds

As long as we are doing videos, here’s one from Mazda USA. Definitely mahz-duh.

All depends on the country.

Nissan:

We say Nissen, USA say Nee-sun

Last edited:
Funny thing is, when as Australian says it the Aussie way, it sounds fine. If someone in US says it that way, you kinda wanna slug him.

The Japanese pronunciation of Ma is to say the “a” like the u is pronounced in the word “Mutt”. So its a short a. Like “up”. (Not to be confused with the Pommy “ooop” LOL!)

So really the Aussie way we say Mazda, with a strong A sound, is really not the correct Japanese pronunciation.

I disagree on the Matsuda pronunciation/spelling suggested by some.

The Japanese language does have Z sound and it is Zu, (which is the “su” sound with an “ added. This sound is frequently spoken in Japanese shortened to zz. This is the Japanese hiragana symbol for zu: ず

So the Japanese simply simply say Mazda or with a slight addition of the u as Mazuda. Phonetically, in Japanese, that is actually the correct pronunciation.

Last edited:
Who really cares about pronunciation. Let's just all agree we love Mazda! :D

Back