Slow crank no start

Thatguy2017

:
2003 MP5
Ok so i have a 2003 MP5 and i have an issue with it cranking super slow, almost as if the engine is too hard to turn, with no start. Ive turned the engine by hand with no issues. Changed the battery and the starter.... Nothing has helped. I did have it started once and it ran fine until i pressed the clutch in then it died immediately. And when i tried to start it again it went back to the super slow cranking ordeal. Ive never had this issue and its driving me nuts lol. Thanks in advanced for the help.

Try replacing your battery lugs.
Check the wires for corrosion.
Clean the terminals.

Screenshot_2017-11-22-03-39-21.png

Will do but i dont believe its a ground issue. Im wondering if it has to do with one of the two swirches at the clutch pedal.

... I did have it started once and it ran fine until i pressed the clutch in then it died immediately...

That's a separate issue... You can address it once your car cranks and starts.

Your ECU was reset so it could be your IAC learning to idle the car.

Last edited:
One of those switches goes to the cruise control unit to turn it off when you hit the clutch.
The other goes to the ECU to make sure your clutch is pushed to allow it to start and to also send the engine to idle when the clutch is pushed.

A bad connection can have resistance across it and a big voltage drop across it.
You may only be getting 6-10V going to your starter motor.

I'm talking about the fat power and ground wires.

The signal wire is working because the solenoid on the starter is kicking in the starter motor... But the fat power wires can't deliver the full 12 volts.

You could test the voltage right at the starter motor from ground to the fat positive wire, while you are cranking it.

Check all your power feed and ground wires for corrosion and bad connections... From the battery to the starter motor.

It looks like the starter motor grounds though it's metal housing to the chassis.(I've never had mine off)

Check for a good clean connection on the fat positive wire.. #1

And check the fat wire leading away from battery... The positive going to the starter motor (black with a red stripe) and the negative going to the chassis where MrGiggles mentioned.

Screenshot_2017-11-22-18-32-36.png

Screenshot_2017-11-22-18-41-23.png

Ok imma check that tomorrow since i have nothing else to do lol. I do know the positive terminal on the bat gets hot as hell while trying to crank it over. Burnt my hand last time.

... I do know the positive terminal on the bat gets hot as hell while trying to crank it over...

Check that terminal specifically... Make sure it's nice clean wire going into you new lugs and that the wires are snug.

I don't know ?? That's all I can think of.

I still think it's some kind of connection issue.

Did you take your grounds off, clean them and reinstall them ??

Check the voltage between terminal 1 under the rubber boot and the metal casing of the starter motor While it's cranking...
Then check the voltage between the positive and negative battery posts.... While it's cranking.

If there is a difference in voltage then you have a bad connection between the battery and the starter motor.

If both readings at the battery and the starter motor are below 8 Volts, then you have a bad battery.

Screenshot_2017-11-28-08-41-26.png

Last edited:
.... the positive terminal on the bat gets hot as hell while trying to crank it over. Burnt my hand last time.

If the positive terminal is hot as hell but at the same time the negative terminal isn't hot, then you almost certainly have a bad connection between the positive post and the lug or the lug and the wires going into it...

Back