Wheels + tires upgrade qustoin.

Holiday

:
Protege 5
So I'm a n00b when it comes to understanding wheels and tires. I did do some research though to try and get an idea.

My considerations are:

Daily driver and I don't want to fear denting the rims whenever I come upon a pothole.
Don't want to rub, even with a couple of passengers and/or luggage in the back.
Nice balance between comfort and handling performance.
Thinking I may lower the car an inch in the future.
Would like to stay close to stock rim weight (seems pretty low as is).
Under $200 a rim CDN (best bang for the buck)
Under $200 a tire CDN (best bang for the buck)
For summer use but I do live in a rainy climate.

So I was thinking 16x7 on the rims (Motegi MR132 for example), Continental ExtremeContact DW for tires, but that doesn't work. Not sure how to go about getting the right combo. I realize going 17" rims will probably be too big for my application, same with anything over 50 aspect ratio on tire. Don't want to go too low an aspect ratio on tires. 7" width on rims with a +40mm offset seems to be ideal.

Anyone in a similar boat already figured it out for rim and wheel size?

I've been looking at 16x7 or 17x7 rims. I just discovered that wheel and tire size affects the speedo accuracy. Do people recalibrate the speedo or is the trick getting something really close to stock by some combination?

Go for a 17X7 wheel with an offset (ET) in the 50-55 range. Best balance between handing and comfort. A factory Mazda wheel from another Mazda model is one option, as finding 50-55 ET is difficult with aftermarket wheels. And if you lower the P5 in future, having 50-55 ET will make sure you don't rub on the guards. If you go with 7"+ wide wheels, and less offset (ET40 for eg) would mean having to roll the guards as the tyres will rub when lowered.

The factory spec's for the P5 wheel is: 5X114.3, 16X6, 50ET, 67.1mm centre bore. Tyre is 195/50R16.

The 'trick' is to get the same (or very close to) overall diameter with the new wheels/tyres as per factory spec. This will ensure the speedo stays correct. Anything within 3% (+ or -) of factory overall diameter is usually acceptable. For example, the factory 195/50R16 tyre will have a overall diameter of 601.40 mm. And a 215/40R17 tyre will be 603.80 mm. A difference of 0.40%. Well within the acceptable range.

Ah, I get it thanks for the tip. I always worried that 17" would mean a rocky ride over poor roads.

Back