Keeping it clean!

:
2021 Acura RDX
How do you all prefer to wash your ride? I use the 2 bucket method. I try various car shampoos, but I often use Optimum as my wax.

During the winter months, I use a rinseless wash, combined with once in awhile touchless washes.

I have yet to use one, but has anyone used one of those soft touch car washes (with the foam brushes). Do they cause swirl marks? Are they really that bad?

Id love to hear all of your thoughts!

Resist the urge to go thru any car wash that uses brushes. Anytime something touches your paint, there is a chance of damaging the paint. Most of the time you scratch the wax that is on the car, which leaves those fine spider web type marks that you only see at certain angles. You still might get them whatever you do but technique to washing and drying keeps the paint in it's best shape. The 2 bucket method works best, I use a microfiber type mitt and dry with a rubberized chamois. Both are very gentle on paint. Also use the "wax as you dry" followed with a wipe down with a good quality microfiber towel. The most durable wax that I know of is Collonite 845. I also have a random orbital buffer that I use about twice a year with Meguires Ultimate compound on my older finishes which at this point is a 2003 Nissan Xterra.

Drying, I lightly drag the rubberized chamois across the paint front to rear in general and blot dry the residual water.

The 2 bucket method with grit guards is the best way to wash. Use a microfiber chenille mitt for washing. For drying there are Microfiber towels that will dry as you drag them across. Use only quality plush microfiber for detailing, removing wax and buffing. The Rag Company is one good source for towels. Never never go through any car wash. Even the so called touchless washes can hurt your finish. People with extra mucked up vehicles go thru and then what if you are next?

Consider a good wax or a sealant. The terms are interchangeable now as most waxes have sealant properties. Anything that sheets water off is best.

I followed the thread, but it was in the lounge section. I think an appearance/wash and clean should be in this section, but long story short I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advise on buying an inline water softener to put in between the faucet and the water hose. I did my very first wash at my house and regretted it due to all the water spotting from the hard water where I live. It took hours to clean off the water spots using a claybar.

I followed the thread, but it was in the lounge section. I think an appearance/wash and clean should be in this section, but long story short I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advise on buying an inline water softener to put in between the faucet and the water hose. I did my very first wash at my house and regretted it due to all the water spotting from the hard water where I live. It took hours to clean off the water spots using a claybar.

There are inexpensive charcoal cartridges you can put on your hose that are designed for filling hot tubs, etc. Worth a try.
like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back