Anyone heard Rain-X Windshield Washer Fluid De-Icer can damage the sensor?

Half will say return and the other half will say use it.

I’m on the return side. Use a quality windshield wash fluid without the RainX or other like substances. Just my opinion but I like using a windshield coating to help repel water. In fact, good old OptiSeal works very well at this. No need to spend big $$ for a coating.

Half will say return and the other half will say use it.

I’m on the return side. Use a quality windshield wash fluid without the RainX or other like substances. Just my opinion but I like using a windshield coating to help repel water. In fact, good old OptiSeal works very well at this. No need to spend big $$ for a coating.

Yes, I returned it. would not take the risks for only 8$.

You mean a low fluid sensor? If you have that plastic dipstick under the cap, you don’t have said sensor.

Don’t know about screenwash, it sounds like hogwash to me. How do they conclude that the screenwash ruined a sensor?

Don’t know about screenwash, it sounds like hogwash to me. How do they conclude that the screenwash ruined a sensor?

See the amazon link, so I have read some. Also here #85, (https://forums.redflagdeals.com/wal...indshield-washer-fluid-4-pack-8-88-2143274/6/) if your sensor got damaged the light will be on forever

Check this link see how what a broken one looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvjEme7dlLU

Rain X yellow deicer is a silicone based formula. When mixed with the "blue" stuff, it can create goo and leave a silicone film on the sensor/pipes/etc. The reason is because the blue stuff is an ethanol formula. When mixed together, they react and it's no good.

The thing is, everytime I go to the dealer for anything, they want to fill-up the windshield fluid. It's good for customers in general and nice of them. However, if I wouldn't tell them to not do it, my yellow fluid would end up mixed with the blue stuff they put. So now, before I go to the dealer, I fil up my windshield fluid to the max and tell them to not put fluid.

So just be careful to empty your tank before you put Rain X and make sure you garage doesn't top it off with blue fluid. You'll be good to go after.

Oh, once you go yellow, you can't go back unless you clean the system with water first. Well, you can but like I said above, it may do bad thing to your sensor and pipes.

All fluids are topped off when I change the oil. With Rain-X BTW. What, six bits more than the cheap blue stuff and 10X better at shedding road grime on a wet drive?

Why would someone need a sensor to tell them the washer fluid is low?

oh...

Last edited:
All fluids are topped off when I change the oil. With Rain-X BTW. What, six bits more than the cheap blue stuff and 10X better at shedding road grime on a wet drive?

Why would someone need a sensor to tell them the washer fluid is low?

oh...

The problem is the light will be on, so what if your engine light is always on and you know your engine is good?

Rain X yellow deicer is a silicone based formula. When mixed with the "blue" stuff, it can create goo and leave a silicone film on the sensor/pipes/etc. The reason is because the blue stuff is an ethanol formula. When mixed together, they react and it's no good.

The thing is, everytime I go to the dealer for anything, they want to fill-up the windshield fluid. It's good for customers in general and nice of them. However, if I wouldn't tell them to not do it, my yellow fluid would end up mixed with the blue stuff they put. So now, before I go to the dealer, I fil up my windshield fluid to the max and tell them to not put fluid.

OK, I understand. I’m a mechanic so I know how to get the bumper cover off but I would still need a washer fluid switch.

Yea, for the US CX-5s at least there's the "dipstick" for the wiper fluid as well as a sensor (the car has displayed "low wiper fluid" before). Another electronic nanny I guess.

If it's true you can't mix with the blue stuff, I'll just put a note on the filler cap that I don't want any complimentary wiper refills. I've used Rain-X green/summer and orange/winter for about 9 years now and its worked well for me -- NYC bird poop, rain, salt, snow, grime and all.

I like the Nextzett / Einzett washer fluid compared to the rest. No smears and it cleans quickly. Didn’t know about the low washer fluid sensor. I’m always topped off anyway.

Back